Carnival Fantasy to Nassau. Is it safe there?

ASMYER

Hi all. So I've been reading about the crime in Nassau and I'm getting nervous to get off the boat there. Has anyone been there and what gave you done? It will be my husband, myself and our three kids. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!!

We sailed the Breeze to Nassau last June. The day we were in port, it happened to be Nassau's Labor Day. Everything was closed and there was a HUGE parade going on. Because of the road closures, we ended walking about 2 miles to a beach. IMO, Nassau isn't very touristy. It has a very impoverished feel to it. We ended up being too uncomfortable being off the beaten path like we were so we took a boat over to Atlantis. Eh, wasn't impressed with the resort either. Hubby and I both agreed that Nassau was a waste of time for us and we should have used that day as a boat day. Read some more reviews of Nassau before you make your decision. You can always get off and back on the ship. :)

I'm sailing there in June and according to my research. The royal police force is quite active. Don't make yourself an easy target. They do have a designated port area. Junkanoo beach is considered safe. And as for transportation within in the island... Well I'm still researching that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Ive never really felt unsafe there, the people are pushy and overall we find Nassau kinda dumpy. Anymore we'll just walk arounda bit and find a place for some Conch fritters and a beer and call it a day. Junkanoo is the pretty sketchy beach in my opinion, we took one look around and got outta there. Paradise beach is much nicer, although further from the port.

Hi all. So I've been reading about the crime in Nassau and I'm getting nervous to get off the boat there. Has anyone been there and what gave you done? It will be my husband, myself and our three kids. Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!!

I have been there a number of times and I feel it is safe as long as you stay in the most touristy areas. You could certainly go to Atlantis, which many cruise passengers do although that is quite expensive. You could take a cab to Cabbage Beach, which is also on Paradise Island. Or get a day pass for one of the Cable Beach hotels. Families with children go to Blue a Lagoon - a private island with a lagoon beach, many fun things to do and dolphins. In short, Nassau is a wonderful destination but like ANY other port and all U.S. cities, it has some crime. I've never had a problem at all and most cruise ship passengers can say the same. One of the most wonderful things about cruises is that you can see different countries and ports. If you have any concerns, just take sensible precautions and stay on the beaten path where ever you go. Or, of course you can sign up for an excursion through the ship so that you are in a group and feel more comfortable. Our family, on the other hand, likes to explore on our own. Whatever you prefer. As I said, there are some wonderful attractions at Nassau. Enjoy your cruise!

Friend and I had planned on doing a self walking tour, until a week or two before our cruise there was a robbery of (it's been a while - my numbers may be slightly off) perhaps 20 or 22 cruise ship passengers on a ship excursion. That influenced us to change our plans. We took a taxi from the port to a pick up for Blue Lagoon, then I headed back to the ship & she went on to Atlantis.

No problems, but out of many cruise ports for me this was my least favorite. Vendors etc as aggressive as in Jamaica, but many non tourists glaring at us in a way I've not experienced before. Man in a uniform who was coordinating taxi pick ups in front of the cruise port building was loud, staggering around & holding a bottle of beer behind his back as he worked. I would likely avoid any cruise that called on this port - or if the rest of the itinerary were good enough I'd just stay on the ship that day. And I'd gladly visit Ocho Rios again.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

Been to Nassau several times and never had a single problem. We usually go to the Straw Market then go to Junkanoo Beach. Once you have been to Straw Market a couple of times, that is more than enough. Everyone selling the same thing.

Junkanoo Beach has cleaned up quite a bit in the last couple of years. It is a clean beach with restrooms and there is a bar. The family that works the bar is very nice. Last time we were there it was 3 beers and 3 shots for $10.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Majority of crimes against tourists have been reported in Cable Beach, near the cruise docks, and in downtown Nassau. Head towards Paradise Island (you can take a water taxi right from the Welcome Center) and you should considerably minimize your chances of being a target of crime.

Minimize your chances of becoming a target even further by using the same common sense you'd use back home. Don't carry valuables, don't wear dangling purses easy to snatch, don't stray off the beaten path, and be aware of your surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is one of our least favorite ports.

My husband is a big strapping fellow who is in law enforcement here at home and he did not like being in Nassau at all! We had walked to Junkanoo Beach and we didn't stay long at all. It was dirty with very sketchy people hanging around. Our walk back was very uncomfortable.....

We had also received a letter in our cabin the night before warning us all to be careful. If it's this unsafe then I don't know why any of the cruiselines continue to stop here....:confused:

We no longer get off in Nassau....

Have been there too many times to mention but can tell you that we have never ever had a problem. Have taken numerous private tours and been all over the island and always felt safe. We have taken our children and Grandchildren to the aquarium at the Atlantis and the beach which they have always loved although is expensive. Lately we usually end up at Senor Frogs for lunch and drinks and then walk back to the ship. This is the one port that we always get to watch some group miss the ship probably more then even Cozumel.

We were just there about a month ago. In our ships bulletin for that day, there was a notice about the more active crime in the area and a message from the US consulate in the Bahamas, to be extra wary of your surroundings and try and stay in the more high traffic areas.

We walked about a mile to the zoo, and as I said when we got back, we did feel nervous several times along the way. Not from anything specific, but we were away from most of the crowds and several times we were the only ones walking on that road. If I had to do it over, I would opt for the bus.

Cheers

Len

I was there in Jan 2013 with my husband. We used Nassau as our do whatever day and end up doing our own walking tour. We stopped at a museum, library, and straw market. It's definitely not the best kept city, but honestly it felt like walking around Lansing (we are from Michigan) to me - or any other big city for that matter. Just stay in a group, know where you are going, and know your surroundings.

I actually enjoyed walking around and seeing the culture.