civitavecchia worth spending time at

karen327

I was wondering if there is much to see precruise in civitavecchia that would make it worth going to it early and staying overnight or if we should just spend all of our four day precruise in rome. And is there anywhere to store luggage if we would want to explore the town after the cruise before heading back to rome.

I have the same query. I've been to Rome 4 times and I'm traveling alone for the first time. I need to fly in at least a day early to allow for glitches so I don't miss the cruise. Are there things to do? Is it a fairly safe place?

When we stay in Civi pre cruise we usually go for a walk along the pleasant seafront promenade. Have a meal in one of the many restaurants along the seawalk.(Viale Garibaldi).

Its also worth to venture a few streets behind the pedestrian main street (Corco Centocelle) area. Many small and excellent restaurants there.

You could go and see the architecture of the Municipal Theater, St. Francis of Assisi Cathedral, Fort Michelangelo or the ancient baths (Terme Taurine).

I find this website very useful:

http://www.civitavecchia.net/home.html#anc

Another very nice little town 20 minutes drive outside Civitavecchia is Tarquinia

We spent a day here and had a lovely time. Nice restaurants, shops and a few sights.

We would have no problem staying there pre cruise.

The easiest way to get to the town is by taxi but there is also a public (infrequent) bus.

There are no luggage storage facility that I am aware off. If you are staying in a hotel in Civi pre cruise you could ask if you can store your luggage for a few hours pre cruise.

Civitavecchia is a lovely port city with great restaurants, a great waterfront promenade and quite a few things to see .

We always stay at Hotel Miramare on the waterfront, family run . Book on line via their website to avoid paying middleman commissions . 15 Euro set taxi fare to/from cruise terminal entry . Hotel is 5 minutes walk from Civitavecchia railway station .

We always stay in Civitavecchia the night before our cruise departs . In the peak months it is also noticeably cooler on the coast than up at the Roma Sauna !!!

Civitavecchia is perfectly safe but a tad dull ... given the choice, I'd spend the night before the cruise in Rome.

I agree.

Civitavecchia (although somewhat improved in the last few years) is not what I'd consider a charming Italian town. If I absolutely HAD to stay there for reasons of convenience, I would. But given the opportunity I would opt for Rome.

Given that the OP is already going to be in Rome, it would make little sense to relocate to Civitavecchia (as that would take some time to pack up, transfer, check in, etc.). Just stay in Rome -- there is MORE than enough to spend four days on.

Another vote for Rome……can NEVER EVER get enough of that city !!!!! We are still seeing new things after four Med cruises - all beginning in Rome (17 days in Rome total so far)

Usually on the last morning we take it easy tho….. and then enjoy a nice ride to the port and board our cruise. (except one trip where we did the Scavi tour the morning of our cruise….. only time we could get reservations)

We have watched Civitavecchia improve over the past thirty years to where it is now a pretty attractive place (especially along the seafront). However, it is not a city that we would choose to visit unless it is absolutely necessary. That being said, going there late in the day prior to a cruise (and spending the night) does make a lot of sense.

Hank

Thanks for all the responses. A special thanks to I-Cruiser for the link! :)

Anytime.:)

I think its interesting also to try to stay in the small towns close to Civitavecchia.

I have mentioned Tarquinia but the towns of Traiano, Santa Marinella, Ladispoli.

All small towns by the sea.

its also possible to head inland to the town of Bracciano by the lake with the same name.

It will be easy to fill four days in Rome and as much as I love the city its frantic and its nice to relax in a quiet place to let the impressions of Rome really sink in for a day or so before embarking.

Anytime.:)

I think its interesting also to try to stay in the small towns close to Civitavecchia.

I have mentioned Tarquinia but the towns of Traiano, Santa Marinella, Ladispoli.

All small towns by the sea.

its also possible to head inland to the town of Bracciano by the lake with the same name.

It will be easy to fill four days in Rome and as much as I love the city its frantic and its nice to relax in a quiet place to let the impressions of Rome really sink in for a day or so before embarking.

I've been to Tarquinia and I spent a delightful afternoon drinking coffee and enjoying the sights of lake Bracciano! Ate roasted chestnuts too!!

Sooooo much easier to go straight to Civit. For one night. Would not suggest staying longer.

There is a lovely seaside promenade, plenty of restaurants and a great local market.

We've stayed at Hotel Triaino twice and will be back in May.

Lorraine

Sooooo much easier to go straight to Civit. For one night. Would not suggest staying longer.

There is a lovely seaside promenade, plenty of restaurants and a great local market.

We've stayed at Hotel Triaino twice and will be back in May.

Lorraine

I've reflected on this statement and the only way in which I can figure out that it is easier to stay in Civitavecchia involves about 1 extra hour of time over two days.

Whether you stay in Rome or Civitavecchia, most folks will have to:

• Make their way from the airport to Civitavecchia, either on arrival day or the next day.
  • Stay in a hotel overnight, at whatever location.
  • Get to the ship the next day (whether coming from Rome or Civi, a driver can drop you off right at the ship).
  • Eat meals somewhere.
  • Sightsee or deal with jet lag.

If you opt to go into Rome instead of going direct to Civitavecchia, you have about a 30 minute ride by taxi or train. If you go direct to Civitavecchia, it's about an hour. The next day, you have roughly an hour and a half drive or train ride to Civitavecchia from Rome (sometimes less).

So over the course of 2 days, your net "time loss" to stay in Rome is one hour of extra transportation. But you gain the ability to enjoy Rome...

Short of this, you have to do all the same things whether you're in Rome or in Civitavecchia.

I can grasp that some folks would PREFER to stay in Civitavecchia rather than in Rome, for various reasons. But I can't really see how it would be so much easier?

I've reflected on this statement and the only way in which I can figure out that it is easier to stay in Civitavecchia involves about 1 extra hour of time over two days.

Whether you stay in Rome or Civitavecchia, most folks will have to:

• Make their way from the airport to Civitavecchia, either on arrival day or the next day.
  • Stay in a hotel overnight, at whatever location.
  • Get to the ship the next day (whether coming from Rome or Civi, a driver can drop you off right at the ship).
  • Eat meals somewhere.
  • Sightsee or deal with jet lag.

If you opt to go into Rome instead of going direct to Civitavecchia, you have about a 30 minute ride by taxi or train. If you go direct to Civitavecchia, it's about an hour. The next day, you have roughly an hour and a half drive or train ride to Civitavecchia from Rome (sometimes less).

So over the course of 2 days, your net "time loss" to stay in Rome is one hour of extra transportation. But you gain the ability to enjoy Rome...

Short of this, you have to do all the same things whether you're in Rome or in Civitavecchia.

I can grasp that some folks would PREFER to stay in Civitavecchia rather than in Rome, for various reasons. But I can't really see how it would be so much easier?

Cynthia i just love the way you think and put it out there for all of us to read. Then we can try and figure out what works for us. In my case with your help and breaking it down im going to stay in Rome for my one night post cruise. I was ok with one night pre-cruise in Civi on my last cruise as i didnt get in until late afternoon from a very long flight from Seattle. But on a post-cruise thats a different case and i will opt for Rome. Larry

Civitavecchia is perfectly safe but a tad dull ... given the choice, I'd spend the night before the cruise in Rome.

Being from North America and having been to Rome three times we would always take more time there.

With all the great info, I think I'm going to go right to Civitavecchia from the airport. That way I can settle in, see the sights, get a good night sleep and go to the port at my leisure.

You guys have been great! Thank you.:)