Do any of you skip the Formal nights?

tings66

Hi-- hubby and I are doing our 2nd Med cruise end of August. It is a port intensive cruise with only one sea day so we know it will be tiring. We want to pack light and are thinking of skipping the Formal nights (I won't have to pack heels, dresses etc...). Not to mention leaving his suit/jacket at home is a plus too. Have any of you done this? regrets?

Not sure you need all that much to dine in the MDR on formal night these days...men pretty much need a sports jacket (irrespective of what people express here as their wish).

We now book Aqua where formal night is just like every other night...smart casual. Additionally, all of the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" every night.

Every time, no regrets. When we want formal, we sail Cunard.

Agree with the above to an extent. I would say IF we want formal, we would sail Cunard and we have NO desire to sail Cunard!;)

We only do one formal night and that is only because my son wants lobster! I know we could have it delivered via room service, but we don't care for that. My hubby says that he has to dress up for work so on vacay he wants to relax and be more casual. Still trying to figure out why a jacket with no tie is considered ok in the MDR for formal night but a tie with no jacket is not. Grrrrr.....to me the tie looks more formal....and easier to pack! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a 15 day repositioning cruise from South America there were 3 formal nights. As usual we planned to go to the MDR in formal attire. My DH even rented a tux! But no shoes available for his tux---just nothing in his size. So we went to the Bistro @ 5 or the Oceanview Café & really enjoyed ourselves. On our most recent cruise we were prepared with formal clothes but opted out one night & again went to the Oceanview Café. Next cruise we are thinking of opting out all together on formal nights.

My last cruise was 14 days and had 3 formal nights. It was also port intensive. My traveling companions and I skipped 2 of the 3 formal nights and went to Q-Sine instead.

There were not regrets about skipping the formal nights for other activities and as exhausted as I was from some of my port activities I probably should have skipped dinner all together since twice I nearly fell asleep IN my plate. :eek:

It is your vacation do what makes you happy and if that is skipping formal nights for the buffet, room service, or a specialty restaurant, GO FOR IT.

For four years of college and thirty four years of work, I wore a suit/jacket and I rarely took off the jacket in all those years. I heartily subscribe to the theory that the way we are treated is largely governed by our appearance. I also believe that a man never looks better than when he is wearing a tux. In other words I have no problem dressing properly and in accordance with the regulations. Having said this, increasingly, I am having trouble dragging a tux on a cruise, not because I don't enjoy wearing it, but rather because the outfit takes up so much space and weight that it's easier to travel in a sports jacket/blazer and add a shirt and tie for dinner onboard. It's not what I prefer, but it sure makes life easier. We are taking two TAs this year and I know my wife will want to dress up. It will be a problem for me, if it means an additional suitcase. Just too much trouble to drag around.

On a 15 day repositioning cruise from South America there were 3 formal nights. As usual we planned to go to the MDR in formal attire. My DH even rented a tux! But no shoes available for his tux---just nothing in his size. So we went to the Bistro @ 5 or the Oceanview Café & really enjoyed ourselves. On our most recent cruise we were prepared with formal clothes but opted out one night & again went to the Oceanview Café. Next cruise we are thinking of opting out all together on formal nights.

Who looks at the shoes?

thanks to you all-- I am a banker by day and wear a suit with heels Monday to Friday. I'd prefer to be casual or smart casual when I'm on vacation, much more relaxing---I am going to leave the dress up clothes at home!!

Yes we do skip formal nights. It depends on the cruise and also what other travels we have. If we have a three or four week land vacation prior to, or after the cruise we are not inclined to pack and carry clothes/shoes that will only be worn for what amounts to a few hours on three days.

We first started skipping formal nights when I was working. I worked in a suit. Our idea of a vacation was not to wear a suit, etc. Same reason why I would not consider renting a tux. We have been on enough cruises that formal nights are not really a big deal for us.

No regrets whatsoever. Like others, we simply dine in an alternative area on formal evenings. Bistro on 5 on Solstice or outside on back deck are two of our favourite places on formal evenings.

Edited by iancal

We love formal nights:) Our last two cruises were B2B's with land stays on both of them (5 and 6 weeks total) We only had one checked bag each and his tux and my dresses were packed:D
Love formal nights. The rental formalwear works out fine and silky slacks w/fancy shawls look great and are easy to pack

We agree, love the formal nights and the fact that X seems to enforce them a little better than RCI. That's one of the main reasons we're planning more X in the future, as longtime RCI cruisers. Personally we have no problems with those who wear a sportcoat/tie vs. a tux or suit. But it is rather frustrating when you see some lines allowing clods in on formal nights in shorts, tshirts, flip flops and ball caps - even though that attire is clearly prohibited via signs at the entrance.

Just off Reflection. I was surprised at how many tuxes I did see. Also, a lot of long dresses. Everyone looked beautiful. We do the formal nights. However, I do think 1 night would be enough.

One thing I will mention about Med cruises on Celebrity. We have taken two over the last year and a half. Much more formal than Alaska or Caribbean, especially the one departing from Southampton (about 40% tuxes, 40% suits, 15% sport coats). The cruise from Istanbul was more suits and fewer tuxes, but even in Blu 85% of the men were in sport coat or better. The balance were in very formal Hawaiian shirts (silk, subdued pattern) or long sleeve dress shirt or formal Indian/Indonesian shirts. I was surprised but very pleased.

Of course I am sure there were sone less formally dressed in the buffet or eating room service.

For me, formal nights are a black dress (easily packable, from TravelSmith) with a glittery top or a silk shawl. Not a ball gown, but very dressy. These things pack easily, more easily than some of my other clothes. A plain pair of black shoes goes with both formal nights and the smart casual nights.

When we started cruising 20 some years ago we did all the formal nights. DW brought gorgeous gowns and certainly enjoyed shopping for them. Over the course of 23 cruises we've backed down considerably. Tux to suit to sports jacket and tie to eating at buffet and/or speciality restaurant. However, never felt out of place or unwelcome in a sports jacket.

Too much hassle to pack all that stuff, deal with paying for extra luggage and using the limited storage space on S ships.

Enjoy your vacation the way you want to experience it, take advantage of alternatives and don't worry about anyone else.

My understanding is that formal on Celebrity means formal in the MDR and formal in the theatre..or at least on the main floor of the theatre. The formal dress code does not encompass other areas of the ship.

No....formal means in the MDR only.

There have been sporadic reports of ships trying to make the main floor of the theater formal, however that is not celebrity policy....it's someone trying to make up their own version of formal night. If you think about it for a second....the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" and cost extra. They are saying that you can't enjoy dinner at murano and then see the show from the main floor only if you follow the MDR dress code. Makes no sense...

Edited by ghstudio