water on the ship

MrsMSD

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I know my CC experts will know......

Is the water on the ship ok to drink? How is it filtered? Does it have any funny taste? Is it a must that we purchase water to bring on board?

Thanks for all info.

If it is in fact RO (reverse osmosis) water then it is pure. More pure than bottled water. That being said I've heard of rusty water etc. so it depends on what pipes it goes through to get to you. You can't get salt out of water without making it pretty darned pure.

I drank the water in the main dining room and never noticed any bad tastes. The rest of the cruise I drank rum so no idea elsewhere.

I have always thought the water on all the ships I have sailed on was good. I usually bring on a few bottles of water to take into ports with us instead of keeping up with re-useable bottles. For those that avoid drinking the water on the ships please remember that the ice in your drinks is made from that water and they use it in cooking as well.

Ship's water is from 3 sources: distillation from sea water, reverse osmosis filtering from sea water, or shore side sources. The USPH has strict requirements about drinking water, it's production, handling, disinfection, and storage. USPH requires chlorination to sanitize the water at higher levels than most municipal supplies, and this can affect the taste. Water from the drink dispensers in the buffet and MDR, the bar guns, and ice makers are filtered to remove the chlorine mainly for maintenance reasons, so the taste can be "better". I put better in quotes, as water taste is one of the most subjective areas of life in the US. Everyone tastes water differently, and has a preference for more/less minerals, etc.

A Brita type water bottle or pitcher will do the same thing as the filters on the drink dispensers for the water from your sink in your cabin.

I used to take bottled water some years ago but this cruise I just got back from on the Miracle I drank the ships water and it was good. I am picky too. Never noticed any weird taste.

The reason I used bottled water on previous cruises (which were several years back) was because they had seemed to add a lot of chlorine to the water and I knew that wasn't good to be drinking that and I always felt thirstier than before I drank it.

I don't mind the water but my MIL is hyper sensitive I guess and hates it. She always buys water (usually 8 large bottles, like the ones in the room. In fact, she purchases them ahead of time and has them all delivered there so she doesn't have to lug water on board).

I have never had a problem drinking the water on the ships... tastes just fine to me. There are some that say too much sodium is left in it after the reverse osmosis process... not enough to where you can taste the sodium, but enough to where they start to retain water and their legs start to swell. Just depends on the person I guess...

almost 5 years ago. a co-worker had been on the Ecstasy a couple of weeks before we were and told me the water tasted and smelled awful. I had a hard time believing that, but on our cruise, it was the same. smelled bad, tasted worse, even made the iced tea taste bad.

after that, I took water with me, but all the other cruises proved to be much better, no stinky, bad tasting water.

I still take some bottled water, unless we're flying to port, but only a few bottles.

almost 5 years ago. a co-worker had been on the Ecstasy a couple of weeks before we were and told me the water tasted and smelled awful. I had a hard time believing that, but on our cruise, it was the same. smelled bad, tasted worse, even made the iced tea taste bad.

after that, I took water with me, but all the other cruises proved to be much better, no stinky, bad tasting water.

I still take some bottled water, unless we're flying to port, but only a few bottles.

I've had a similar experience. Not on Elation, but don't recall which specific ship/sailing.

Most of the time, the water is fine. But on one specific cruise, i couldn't even drink the iced tea the water was so bad.

And even though I usually drink water in MDR, we always carry a case of bottled water on board with us. We typically take 2 or 3 bottles on shore with us at each port and drink the bottled water when we're in our cabin. Whatever is left over is given to our cabin steward.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I know my CC experts will know......

Is the water on the ship ok to drink? How is it filtered? Does it have any funny taste? Is it a must that we purchase water to bring on board?

Thanks for all info.

If you are on the Fascination, it had a very odd taste to it. I couldn't drink it. A lot of people was drinking it, but they were complaing about the taste as they were drinking it. This was in 2011.

Our last cruise was on the Fantasy. It tasted like your average city water. Nothing like well water though.

I usually drink the water on all the ships (completed over 15 cruises) but every cruise by the 7th day my stomach feels funny. Not sick, but it has an unsettle feel. This past cruise onboard the Carnival Breeze I never drank the ships water and only had bottle. I never had that unsettled stomach feeling. I am almost positive it is bc of the water. Not saying the water is bad, just different than what we are use to back home. Even when traveling state to state all city waters have different taste and anytime your body is experimenting with something slightly different you may react a certain way or have a funny stomach issues.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for all info.

When you go to the restaurant and they fill the glass with the water, they use the ship's water, which is good ...no clue how they filter it, but that is good is enough for me ;)

I will confirm that in NOLA they take water on from the city supply. We watched the load out process one time and the last thing they disconnected before the ropes was potable water. In NOLA the water can be REALLY good or it can have some off-flavors. The city is known for the water filtration since they pull water from the Mississippi River and they have the dirtiest water in the country to pull the fresh water from. There are usually very few complaints about water taste in NOLA.

On my Imagination cruise I don't remember the water as being all that great, or undrinkable either. Just so-so.

On Liberty, there were water fountains conveniently located on the Lido Deck near the pool. Thanks to some water-quality discussions here on CruiseCritic I was leery of trying them...but the water tasted GREAT...better than the water at my house (which is admittedly not great...Brita pitcher to the rescue!)

Victory didn't have those water fountains on Lido so I never really had 'straight' water, but I didn't notice anything gnarly about soda (ice) taste or anything.