Best cruise line to see glaciers

Grandmom3

I'd choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.

To learn more about Alaska cruises you should buy, or borrow from your library, Ann Vipond's 'Alaska by Cruiseship' , or, Fodors " Alaska Ports of Call'.

Both books discuss cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, sights, activities, excursions, etc. The more you know, the better your trip will be.

Which cruise line is the best for seeing glaciers. Also, we are two seniors and will be traveling with our 9 year old grandson. Thanks in advance for the advice.

If you are looking for the simple answer you will find that Holland America and Princess have the most opportunities since they will spend a day in Glacier Bay in the majority of their itineraries. Both lines also have kid's clubs if the 9 year old wants to meet other kids on the ship.

If you are looking for the simple answer you will find that Holland America and Princess have the most opportunities since they will spend a day in Glacier Bay in the majority of their itineraries. Both lines also have kid's clubs if the 9 year old wants to meet other kids on the ship.

I don't want to sound mean but isn't Holland America for an older crowd or is that just on Caribbean itineraries?

I am also looking to do a family cruise to Alaska (5 cabins) and have been checking all cruise lines for the best bang for their buck. I have myself so confused. I know we want to do the Galciers and I would like to do a fjords. What is an inside passage part supposed to be?

Any input or suggestions on what to pick for a cruise/cruise line would be appreciated. We need to do July or August as there are school workers going and that is the only time they can get off!

We Are booked On Holland America Statendam Southbound Aug 3 2014 Primarily Because It Takes Us To Glacier Bay. There Are A Lot Of Folks With Personal Preferences Regarding Which Glaciers They Prefer But Most People Seem To Enjoy Glacier bay And Especially In July Or August You Should Be Able To Get Close Enough To Marjorie Glacier In Glacier Bay To Get A Good Look. It Is Sometimes More Difficult To Get close To Hubbard So Glacier Bay Is In My Opinion The One To Try For. On Some Of The Princess And Norweigen Southbound Cruises Both Hubbard And Glacier Bay Are Included Which Would Be Very Tempting Except Due To Airline Schedules I Prefer southbound- Maybe One Day I Can Afford B2b.

With Regard To The Ages I Dont Think You Would Find That Much Difference In HAL And The Others. I Notice The Person Who Questioned The Ages Has Cruised A Couple Of Times On Celebrity. I Have Been On Celebrity And HAL And See Very Little Difference In The Ages And Activities Available. We Prefer The Room Size On HAL over Celebrity Particularly If There Will Be 3 In THe Room. My Daughter Started Cruising On HAL At Age 13 And Participated In The Teen Activities. We Have Cruised Together On HAL, Celebrity, RCL, And Carnival And Her Preference Has Always Been HAL.

Personally Even Though I Also Love RCL I Tend To Not Choose Them For Alaska Because They Go To Hoonah Which Is My Least Favorite Alaskan Port.

Having Said All Of This Though I don't Think I Have Ever Heard Anyone Say They didn't Enjoy Their Alaskan Cruise No Matter Which Ship They Were On. So Have A Wonderful Time!

On Some Of The Princess And Norweigen Southbound Cruises Both Hubbard And Glacier Bay Are Included Which Would Be Very Tempting Except Due To Airline Schedules I Prefer southbound- Maybe One Day I Can Afford B2b.

It is actually the Norwegian Northbound that includes Glacier Bay. The Southbound does Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm (twin Sawyer Glaciers).

Last year I was on the Coral Princess NB and it did Glacier Bay one day and College Fjord the next.

Edited by fishin' musician

We haven't been to Glacier Bay yet, but we have seen glaciers on our two previous cruises.

We saw Marjorie Glacier on our Princess cruise round trip from Seattle and Hubbard Glacier on our southbound Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We witnessed multiple calving both times.

I understand from what I've read here on CC that neither one of these itineraries match the beauty of Glacier Bay. I just thought I'd mention them as a choice that you might like to consider.

Happy cruising! Alaska is amazing!

My husband and I cruised Alaska back in 2005 on Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. I believe we saw Glacier Bay and the Fjords. Now I am bringing my sister and her husband and a bunch of other people. I told them it was going to be an expensive trip so I want to get the most bang for our buck!

We are not planning until 2015 (July/Aug) so some of the lines don't even have their itineries out yet.

I think we have to look for a cruise from/to Seattle or Vancouver. I think the flights back from Whittier/Anchorage

are quite pricey and long!

We haven't been to Glacier Bay yet, but we have seen glaciers on our two previous cruises.

We saw Marjorie Glacier on our Princess cruise round trip from Seattle and Hubbard Glacier on our southbound Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We witnessed multiple calving both times.

I understand from what I've read here on CC that neither one of these itineraries match the beauty of Glacier Bay. I just thought I'd mention them as a choice that you might like to consider.

Happy cruising! Alaska is amazing!

Jim

If you've been to Marjorie Glacier then you've been to Glacier Bay. Marjorie Glacier is IN Glacier Bay.

Cheers

Len

Jim

If you've been to Marjorie Glacier then you've been to Glacier Bay. Marjorie Glacier is IN Glacier Bay.

Cheers

Len

You're right. I should have said we saw Sawyer Glacier which is located in the Tracy Arm fjord. Next time we go to Alaska we will see Marjorie Glacier! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

Thanks For The Correction. You Are Right. It Is The Norweigen Northbound That Goes To Both. The Only Reason I Didn't Try That One Was My Preference Fort Southbound Cruises Because Of The Southbound Air Arrangements From Anchorage To My Home.

Thanks For The Correction. You Are Right. It Is The Norweigen Northbound That Goes To Both. The Only Reason I Didn't Try That One Was My Preference Fort Southbound Cruises Because Of The Southbound Air Arrangements From Anchorage To My Home.

That is why I won't go with that one. The flights home aren't until late at night and take forever. Don't want to play that game. Except those are the best itineraries. I guess I will wait until HAL comes out with their 2015 Alaskan itineraries!

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking Norwegian Pearl round trip from Seattle to Glacier Bay, Have done this trip before and loved it. We will have my three grandsons (10, 4, and 1) as well as my daughter and a good friend. It is the best possibility for us. We went on Norwegian before and had a good mix of ages and families.

OK - the most Glaciers are in Glacier Bay - three lines go there on a regular basis - HAL, Princess and NCL. You will be able to see at least 4 or 5 different Glaciers - all three lines spend the better portion of a day there - the path and program are all the same and it is regulated and operated by the Nat Park Rangers.

Tracy Arm - something else to see - I love this place and have done it twice on the large ship and once in a small boat - this is a highly recommend add on. While there are two glaciers there - you will only see one of them. Some folks have never seen Sawyer Glacier as often times the ships turn back either due to ice or time. This is less likely in the middle of the season because the ice is usually less.

Other Glaciers - on NB and SB one ways you can add either College Fjords and Hubbard Glaciers - as well as some glaciers around Seward and Wittier.

From what I have seen in the ports - there are no cruise line stereotypes in AK - all of the lines seem to have a wide range of ages. I think that the lack of real sea days could be a factor - it is also an equalizing factor among the ships - AK is the star - not the ship. Also port days start early and you spend lots of time in port so you tend to not have the party hardy attitude.

One thing I have observed on our last cruise (12) was that the HAL ships always seemed to run late into port - I heard people in Ketchikan complaining how late the were - at least 2hrs at that port - and they left on time there and were late again into Victoria by an hour. I know we left 45min after them and passed them before we hit the north end of Vancouver Island. On a plus side, HAL does not have the mega ships so they can offer a more intimate experience.

Edited by bonvoyagie

My husband and I cruised Alaska back in 2005 on Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. I believe we saw Glacier Bay and the Fjords. Now I am bringing my sister and her husband and a bunch of other people. I told them it was going to be an expensive trip so I want to get the most bang for our buck!

We are not planning until 2015 (July/Aug) so some of the lines don't even have their itineries out yet.

I think we have to look for a cruise from/to Seattle or Vancouver. I think the flights back from Whittier/Anchorage

are quite pricey and long!

No you didn't go to Glacier Bay, it was either Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier.

Which cruise line is the best for seeing glaciers. Also, we are two seniors and will be traveling with our 9 year old grandson. Thanks in advance for the advice.

In my opinion, "best" is variety, and more. The more glaciers you see, the better. Each and every one is different and are in a constant state of change. I have seen significant differences over the years with glaciers. An example, my first view in Glacier Bay, had the Margerie and Grand Pacific glaciers butted up against each other. Every year I see them now, they are farther and farther apart.

So, "best" with more in mind- would be one ways, on cruise ships that have two glacier visits which is NCL and Princess.

This year, both dock in Whittier, so a jackpot with my recommendation to be certain to add in a Prince William Sound boat tour, which is loaded with spectacular glacier visits. I do this every time I'm there and never tire of the views.

On the same note- the least glacier viewing opportunities are with a Tracy Arm itinerary, IF you don't budget and purchase the add on Tracy Arm ship excursions. These are in the $200pp range. "Necessary" in my opinion.

Timing is everything. IF a priority and going early season, then pick Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm- and Hubbard are both unpredictable and too iffy.

If hard core priorities, then book an air tour. And get as much exposure to glaciers as you can. Mendenhall, Exit, Matanuska are all easy ground accessible. Portage Glacier visitor center is excellent.

I don't want to sound mean but isn't Holland America for an older crowd or is that just on Caribbean itineraries?

I am also looking to do a family cruise to Alaska (5 cabins) and have been checking all cruise lines for the best bang for their buck. I have myself so confused. I know we want to do the Galciers and I would like to do a fjords. What is an inside passage part supposed to be?

Any input or suggestions on what to pick for a cruise/cruise line would be appreciated. We need to do July or August as there are school workers going and that is the only time they can get off!

You have the wrong idea, the Caribbean there are significant differences in demographics depending on the line. But in Alaska they are similar on ALL lines. Carnival is NOT a party ship and the bulk of passenger are middle aged and above with all ages sailing- on ALL the cruise lines. I have sailed them all with the exception of Disney in Alaska. Disney may be different?