Sorry! Yet another thread about carrying wine aboard

CowPrincess

I agree completely that the solo travelers who pay double fare should get to take a second bottle gratis. They're paying extra fare and they're certainly not eating twice the food. It's the least that HAL should do.

My alternate suggestion is to require everyone to carry on a bottle of wine whether they want to or not, but I don't see that idea gaining a lot of traction. ;)

I agree completely that the solo travelers who pay double fare should get to take a second bottle gratis. They're paying extra fare and they're certainly not eating twice the food. It's the least that HAL should do.

My alternate suggestion is to require everyone to carry on a bottle of wine whether they want to or not, but I don't see that idea gaining a lot of traction. ;)[/QUOTE]

The bolding is mine. DH thinks can't understand why I am still laughing:p

My alternate suggestion is to require everyone to carry on a bottle of wine whether they want to or not, but I don't see that idea gaining a lot of traction. ;)

This should be the new Holland America "carry on" wine policy!

soccer

Great idea! :D

Hi

I also agree the solo passenger really gets punished in all travel except air fare. When will these folks wake up more solo's will travel but to be hit with double or more makes me and others impossible to trave, and cruise.

I spend a lot of money on ships on wine ,shops, excusions. come on travel industry its time to wake up and get with the present time.

they are a lot of single, widows,widowers out they you making it impossible tto travel and cruise

I know I would do more than one cruise but paying double or more is crazy.

Mary

I agree that solos who pay for two fares should be able to bring two bottles of wine onboard without corkage.

As someone who travels solo on occasion the other thing that gripes me is paying the same rate for "unlimited laundry" as a family of four in one cabin pays. And not getting double Mariner days associated with double fare :(

Since neither my wife nor I are connoisseurs of alcoholic beverages with the exception of an occasional mixed drink in a cocktail lounge or nightclub, what is the meaning of Corkage and how does it work on board a cruise ship? Sorry for being so ignorant about this. But, as I stated, we are not really drinkers and especially wine. However, I just would like to know the "Corkage" procedure, aboard cruise ships, for my own edification. :confused:

Edited by Floridastorm

Since neither my wife nor I are connoisseurs of alcoholic beverages with the exception of an occasional mixed drink in a cocktail lounge or nightclub, what is the meaning of Corkage and how does it work on board a cruise ship? Sorry for being so ignorant about this. But, as I stated, we are not really drinkers and especially wine. However, I just would like to know the "Corkage" procedure, aboard cruise ships, for my own edification. :confused:

It's just the fee they charge if you bring your own wine on board after the first 'free' bottle now. Technically speaking it refers to the steward uncorking your bottle, but the fee is charged whether you uncork it yourself in your room or the steward does it for you in the MDR.

Since you don't bring wine on board, you need have no fear of this charge - you will not experience it ;)

It's just the fee they charge if you bring your own wine on board after the first 'free' bottle now. Technically speaking it refers to the steward uncorking your bottle, but the fee is charged whether you uncork it yourself in your room or the steward does it for you in the MDR.

Since you don't bring wine on board, you need have no fear of this charge - you will not experience it ;)

So, my understanding is that each passenger is allowed to bring one free bottle of wine aboard with them. That would be one for my wife and one for myself. Or, is it one bottle per cabin? Usually, how much is the charge for the corkage and is it a one time charge? Can you give the bottles to the MDR waiter so that you can use the wine with meals there? How about the specialty restaurants? Also, does the waiter keep the wine for you between meals. My wife and I may want to try wine with our meals on this cruise. Our last cruise on Celebrity we only purchased mixed drinks in the clubs.

Edited by Floridastorm

So, my understanding is that each passenger is allowed to bring one free bottle of wine aboard with them. That would be one for my wife and one for myself. Or, is it one bottle per cabin? Usually, how much is the charge for the corkage and is it a one time charge? Can you give the bottles to the MDR waiter so that you can use the wine with meals there? How about the specialty restaurants? Also, does the waiter keep the wine for you between meals. My wife and I may want to try wine with our meals on this cruise. Our last cruise on Celebrity we only purchased mixed drinks in the clubs.

Hi I am not Kazu but hopefully I can answer your questions.

One bottle of wine per ADULT (over 21 per HAL)

Corkage fee is currently $18/bottle for any bottle in excess of the one bottle.

If you take your no-corkage bottle of wine to the main dining room or specialty restaurant you will be charged corkage on it.

If you have additional wine (over the one per adult limit) the reports are that you will have a sticker attached to it at check-in, the corkage fee will go on your onboard account, and then you can take it to the MDR or other venues and drink it with no additional corkage being charged.

If you don't finish a bottle of wine at dinner, the wine steward will keep it for you for the next night.

In the past I have carried a few bottles to the MDR and handed them over for use during the cruise, so we didn't have to carry a bottle with us to dinner every 2nd night or so.

If you take your no-corkage bottle of wine to the main dining room or specialty restaurant you will be charged corkage on it.

If you have additional wine (over the one per adult limit) the reports are that you will have a sticker attached to it at check-in, the corkage fee will go on your onboard account, and then you can take it to the MDR or other venues and drink it with no additional corkage being charged.

If you don't finish a bottle of wine at dinner, the wine steward will keep it for you for the next night.

In the past I have carried a few bottles to the MDR and handed them over for use during the cruise, so we didn't have to carry a bottle with us to dinner every 2nd night or so.

Very helpful and comprehensive reply. Thank you, so much. :o

Just one thing more, if you will. Does the same procedure work for the Pinnacle Grill? I made reservations for one night during the cruise and would like to have some wine available from my source.

Just one thing more, if you will. Does the same procedure work for the Pinnacle Grill? I made reservations for one night during the cruise and would like to have some wine available from my source.

Yes. If you have a corkage-free wine, they will charge corkage you in any of the restaurants. If you paid corkage at embarkation, just take the bottle and therefore is no extra fee.

Edited by POA1

Agreed. If I have to pay as if I were two people, I should get all the benefits that two people would get.

Removed my post.

Edited by POA1

Thanks, that was darn decent of you :D No harm, no foul. I deleted mine too, but I see you quoted me. Hmmmm, can you delete the quoted part still?

It's like we were never there. ;)

Probably too late, but count us as another 'no harm, no foul' vote, for all the good reasons listed here!

I also agree that a solo should be allowed to bring 2 free bottles onboard, and I love the "everyone should be forced to bring a bottle on board" idea--good one POA1.

ML