little things you really miss

chelseauk

[quote name='wpgcycler']I imagine you'd need a pretty wide promenade deck for that.[/quote]

Ha. They were great. They had 6 painted wooden horses that were about 2 feet high and a track on stage. They then had 6 large dice (die) and on each roll if you had horse number 3 and a 3 came up you moved a space (or more if more than one 3 was rolled). You bet $2 and we always won money on them. Don't know if Celebrity ever did these but other lines did them in the late 70's when we first started cruising thru the 80's and 90's.

[quote name='rbsmithpaige']US-made Cheddar is so disgusting that it's taken 16 of the top 21 places at the currently running World Championships. Strangely, of the remaining 5 spots, none were from the UK.

You'll find there's a deep divide between "Nasty" and "I don't care for it the way some people do". Expert judges, for instance. ;)

Please consider this good-natured ribbing. I've been diagnosed as having cheese-related oppositional defiance disorder. :D[/QUOTE]

Good natured ribbing eh - course I will.

Fair point and well made - I've had my fair share of truly horrendous cheese in the UK :D So let me rephrase that. The "Cheddar" celebrity was supplying last year on the eclipse was pretty woeful. And since they are sailing from the UK and we do rather like our cheddar there are some really rather nice ones available. Some one mentioned a cheddar and Branston sandwich and hmm yes by the end of 14 day I really could have gone for that. Sometimes simple is nice. Edited by chelseauk

Not to go off-topic, but on our first long vacation (2 weeks in Mazatlan), my husband was going crazy craving a grilled cheese sandwich. The restaurant tried to accommodate but a [COLOR=Black]queso quesadilla just didn't do it.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='A Sixth?']Skeet shooting! :D

[IMG]http://worldshipny.com/images/isbz6.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

They had skeet shooting on our first ever cruise on Celebrity Meridian in 1996. I haven't seen it since. How times have changed!

[quote name='blueboro']Ha. They were great. They had 6 painted wooden horses that were about 2 feet high and a track on stage. They then had 6 large dice (die) and on each roll if you had horse number 3 and a 3 came up you moved a space (or more if more than one 3 was rolled). You bet $2 and we always won money on them. Don't know if Celebrity ever did these but other lines did them in the late 70's when we first started cruising thru the 80's and 90's.[/QUOTE]

You could buy the horse and dress it up. If your horse won you could win big bucks. Wife and I won 1600 on the Century in the 90s.

[quote name='dkjretired']You could buy the horse and dress it up. If your horse won you could win big bucks. Wife and I won 1600 on the Century in the 90s.[/QUOTE]
I remember how much fun we had at the pool watching them with everyone yelling for their favorite horse��.

[quote name='miched']My secretary. My wife won't stay home so I have to take her instead.

🍸🍷🍹🍺🇺🇸⚓️[/QUOTE]

LOL, hope that wife doesn't
read this. I am sure it is all in fun, Right?;)
You know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

[quote name='blueboro']Ha. They were great. They had 6 painted wooden horses that were about 2 feet high and a track on stage. They then had 6 large dice (die) and on each roll if you had horse number 3 and a 3 came up you moved a space (or more if more than one 3 was rolled). You bet $2 and we always won money on them. Don't know if Celebrity ever did these but other lines did them in the late 70's when we first started cruising thru the 80's and 90's.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dkjretired']You could buy the horse and dress it up. If your horse won you could win big bucks. Wife and I won 1600 on the Century in the 90s.[/QUOTE]
Our DD's first cruise in 1993 she was a 'jockey'! Great fun!

[quote name='claymour']I remember how much fun we had at the pool watching them with everyone yelling for their favorite horse��.[/quote]

Does anyone know why the powers that be got rid of the horse racing. Sounds like it would be fun!!!!!!

[quote name='bluewhite']Does anyone know why the powers that be got rid of the horse racing. Sounds like it would be fun!!!!!![/quote]

Too many complaints that the noise by the pool was keeping them from their afternoon nap.:rolleyes::D

[quote name='fifa']Free internet![/quote]
I know it'll never happen, but yes, internet access is probably the single biggest thing I miss on cruises. I love being able to use maps, look up info on various destinations or attractions or historical items or whatever when we're out on a trip. But on cruises, it's just SOOO expensive that I have to go cold turkey, unless I luck into free wifi in a port somewhere.

[quote name='bluewhite']Does anyone know why the powers that be got rid of the horse racing. Sounds like it would be fun!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Don't know why, I was on another board at the time and there were lots of complaints, this was prior to cruise critic.

[quote name='dkjretired']Don't know why, I was on another board at the time and there were lots of complaints, this was prior to cruise critic.[/QUOTE]

I think it was because it didn't generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile for them. They make plenty of bucks on "selling" the horses for the final race the last day. You bought a horse (usually a "syndicate" of friends or table maes),dressed it up, gave it a catchy name and took it around with you during the day. Lots of fun.

On our cruises, it was held in the main theater. They picked some kids to "ride" the horses. My son was chosen once and he felt very special even though his horse didn't win (lol).

Tucker in Texas

[quote name='Tucker in Texas']I think it was because it didn't generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile for them. They make plenty of bucks on "selling" the horses for the final race the last day. You bought a horse (usually a "syndicate" of friends or table maes),dressed it up, gave it a catchy name and took it around with you during the day. Lots of fun.

On our cruises, it was held in the main theater. They picked some kids to "ride" the horses. My son was chosen once and he felt very special even though his horse didn't win (lol).

Tucker in Texas[/QUOTE]

On our cruise it was also in the theater. There were frequent cruisers who bought the horses and they might bring a whole suitcase full of clothes to dress the horses. We were clueless, I just bought the horse on a whim. Some of them were really fancy.

[quote name='rbsmithpaige']US-made Cheddar is so disgusting that it's taken 16 of the top 21 places at the currently running World Championships. Strangely, of the remaining 5 spots, none were from the UK.

You'll find there's a deep divide between "Nasty" and "I don't care for it the way some people do". Expert judges, for instance. ;)

Please consider this good-natured ribbing. I've been diagnosed as having cheese-related oppositional defiance disorder. :D[/quote]

U.S. cheesemakers dominated the 2014 World Cheese Championships, earning gold medals in 59 of the total 90 categories judged. Switzerland came in second among the countries, with seven golds. Netherlands had five gold medals, Austria and Canada each took four, Denmark and Spain each earned three, while Croatia, Germany and Portugal each captured one apiece.

Judges from as far away as Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and Ireland – 26 countries in all – did the final round of judging

[quote name='chelseauk']Good natured ribbing eh - course I will.

Fair point and well made - I've had my fair share of truly horrendous cheese in the UK :D So let me rephrase that. The "Cheddar" celebrity was supplying last year on the eclipse was pretty woeful. And since they are sailing from the UK and we do rather like our cheddar there are some really rather nice ones available. Some one mentioned a cheddar and Branston sandwich and hmm yes by the end of 14 day I really could have gone for that. Sometimes simple is nice.[/quote]DD's first meal upon coming home from any trip, is "real" Mac and Cheese

If you grow up around "good" cheese, the stuff that a lot of places pass off as cheese is rather nasty :D Edited by Onessa

[quote name='Project_gal']I have not yet sailed from the UK but, except for in the specialty restaurants, the cheese on Celebrity is usually described as "domestic" meaning from the USA. I questioned the description "domestic" mid-Atlantic one year as [B]we had not seen a cow for days[/B].[/quote]

The cows sail in [I]steerage[/I] class. :D

[quote name='A Sixth?']Skeet shooting! :D

[IMG]http://worldshipny.com/images/isbz6.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

That brings back memories! The first and only time I've ever fired a shotgun was on the back of cruise ship (day cruise out of Cape Canaveral, I think) skeet shooting. I think I was 13 years old. Edited by Cybergoth