My first negative experience with Royal Caribbean

One suggestion, if you can't switch the rooms. We had a similar situation, two boys too young to leave alone a few decks down. My husband stayed with both boys in the one cabin, it was a quad. I stayed alone in the double. I just let my cabin steward know what cabin my son was in, so tips were transferred to that cabin. So there was me & my younger son on the reservation, but he never stayed with me. This gave me & my husband a cabin for privacy during the day. After they were out of the youth club, usually late, dad joined them for the night. It's an option if you can't get cabins closer. Hope your cruise is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Aquaman,

That really sucks! You have every right to be angry. Don't let anyone on this board make you feel otherwise.

Another suggestion - should you need to call RCI again in this matter, try calling their Crown & Anchor number, not the main reservation number. I recently had a problem with a RCI booking a few weeks back. Was due to a computer glitch whereby the great rate I booked suddenly changed the next day. Long story short, I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with reservations at night with no resolution. The next day RCI fixed my rate, but it was still not right. This time, I called the C & A line. I got through to someone in minutes, and had my problem more than fairly resolved within a half hour. They treated me as a loyal customer, which was greatly appreciated.

Your seven cruises with them should mean something. Calling the C & A number might make a difference.

As other's have said you will have much better lucking checking for cabins on the website, rather than calling RCL & asking is any are available...once you find one that will work better use the 24 hour courtesy hold & then call & make the change...hope it works out for you!

Aquaman,

That really sucks! You have every right to be angry. Don't let anyone on this board make you feel otherwise.

Another suggestion - should you need to call RCI again in this matter, try calling their Crown & Anchor number, not the main reservation number. I recently had a problem with a RCI booking a few weeks back. Was due to a computer glitch whereby the great rate I booked suddenly changed the next day. Long story short, I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with reservations at night with no resolution. The next day RCI fixed my rate, but it was still not right. This time, I called the C & A line. I got through to someone in minutes, and had my problem more than fairly resolved within a half hour. They treated me as a loyal customer, which was greatly appreciated.

Your seven cruises with them should mean something. Calling the C & A number might make a difference.

Well thank you! Most are missing the point that I did what was suggested to do by Royal. I'm not mad, as one poster put it, because I can't get my rooms where I want them, I am mad because THEY told me that it was fine to move them, only to have available rooms mysteriously vanish while I was on the phone. Remember, this lady told me she JUST saw the rooms I was referring to, and then all 14 were gone! I am just saying THAT aspect of it kinda ticks me off. It is my belief some people come on these forums looking to instigate!

sooo your mad because you chose to book guaranteed staterooms, then get mad because you do not like where your cabins are located.... Lololol :rolleyes:

Your 7 cruises doesn't even make you diamond status, so please cry a river elsewhere.

"like"

I wish you good luck, but you caused the whole situation by booking a guarantee for family traveling together in order to save money. We only do guarantees when traveling just the two of us, and you have to be prepared to take what they give you, that is why they are cheaper. We are traveling with my stepdaughter and family on the Freedom in a couple of weeks, and they have connecting promenade cabins...yes, a guarantee would have saved money but she didn't even consider it...

The Freedom is WAY too large of a ship to even think about a guarantee when traveling with others you want to be located close to..

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

One suggestion, if you can't switch the rooms. We had a similar situation, two boys too young to leave alone a few decks down. My husband stayed with both boys in the one cabin, it was a quad. I stayed alone in the double. I just let my cabin steward know what cabin my son was in, so tips were transferred to that cabin. So there was me & my younger son on the reservation, but he never stayed with me. This gave me & my husband a cabin for privacy during the day. After they were out of the youth club, usually late, dad joined them for the night. It's an option if you can't get cabins closer. Hope your cruise is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

It's just a safety issue, that's all. I have worked in public service for 20 years, and I've seen a lot of bad things and bad people. After booking, the more I thought about it, the more it bugged me, so I called Royal thinking it would make me feel better if we were closer. My son is 16, and my daughter is 10. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it does! I learned my lesson, though! Thanks for your advice!

I wish you good luck, but you caused the whole situation by booking a guarantee for family traveling together in order to save money. We only do guarantees when traveling just the two of us, and you have to be prepared to take what they give you, that is why they are cheaper.

The Freedom is WAY too large of a ship to even think about a guarantee when traveling with others you want to be located close to..

You're right, lesson learned!

Actually, both cabins I have now have Pullmans and hold 4 people, according to the floor plans. I found that strange when I first booked and was assigned the cabins.

I think Ourusualbeach had it right. You could not access the rooms because of the recent category changes. You were assigned the rooms you have now before the change, you would not be able to get them now. They will open rooms saved for 4 people shortly before the cruise if any remain unsold. So keep checking, all hope has not been lost yet.

It's just a safety issue, that's all. I have worked in public service for 20 years, and I've seen a lot of bad things and bad people. After booking, the more I thought about it, the more it bugged me, so I called Royal thinking it would make me feel better if we were closer. My son is 16, and my daughter is 10. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it does! I learned my lesson, though! Thanks for your advice![/quote

I don't blame you for being nervous can you all just bunk in one room and use the other one for storage? I know I'm overly paranoid but we travel with our young adult children (the one is married!) but I always tell the agent we have to be side by side or across the hall. If we have to use the lifeboat I want my family together!!!

Apology accepted, insults ignored.:rolleyes: At least your reply was a short paragraph.

So, should I wait on your apology for your insult of my writing techniques, or no? It's not like it was an essay I was submitting in an English class....just forum talk. You know, you could have just clicked back once you realized my writing did not meet your approval.

Sooo your mad because YOU CHOSE to book Guaranteed Staterooms, then get mad because you do not like where your cabins are located.... lololol :rolleyes:

Your 7 cruises doesn't even make you diamond status, so please cry a river elsewhere.

No. I'm not. Try reading it again. And it's "you're", not "your". :rolleyes:

So sorry to see so many people who are not sympathetic, supportive or understanding about this situation.

I agree -- especially since the two guarantee cabins you have are 4-person cabins, booked for 2 people! -- that it is "fishy" those 14 cabins disappeared while you were on the phone. Highly unlikely they were booked while you were waiting to be transferred; and how weird that no one could make this work out for you. (The "recategorization" issue would have been more likely if you were currently booked in 2-person cabins and were hoping to move into 4-person cabins, which RCI did recently recategorize to maximize the number of people on board.)

Better customer service is the secret here, not "you should've known better," or "you knew what you were buying." It does sound like that one person tried to make it work out for you, but couldn't get around some invisible road block.

I like the suggestions to keep trying, call back again, call C&A rather than reservations, etc. I wish you a wonderful cruise, and hope that you and your kids can at least be at the same end of the ship, or on the same deck, if not in connecting cabins. Good luck!!!!:)

(And no critique intended, but yes, it is easier on the eyes to read posts which are broken into paragraphs -- I hope I made that suggestion in a way that is not offensive!!);)

Sooo your mad because YOU CHOSE to book Guaranteed Staterooms, then get mad because you do not like where your cabins are located.... lololol :rolleyes:

I can't believe all the "flaming" people are giving the OP. He made an observation and a, what I think is a legitimate "beef". I have had similar situations where I could see a room online and the cruise line says it isn't available, his was that the cruise line changed the category of the room. The cruise may have been booking up and there are more berths than the ship can hold so they didn't want to book 2 people in a 4 people cabin or didn't want to change them from a 4 person cabin to a 2 person cabin, whatever the reason the cruise line "changed the rules at the last minute". It is their ship and they can do as they wish, but doesn't mean the OP has to "like" it. So get over yourself and your "hating".

Hello, I hope it works out, that you'll be able to move closer together, and as you stated you'll have an enjoyable cruise regardless.

I've tried two different types of cost saving measures in the past. One was a 'guarantee balcony', saved about $900 for the cruise. Ended up with an "aft" cabin. Can't remember which ship - it was a big one (Freedom?). I was so upset being all the way in the back until the RCCL reps convinced me by saying "oh, those are popular" and "people book months in advance for those - you'll love it", and so I kept it - and the $900 savings. Well, when I ever went out to the balcony I couldn't believe how much steel was all around us. Could hardly see the water beyond the steel girders. When we looked down we saw decking used by the crew, we were witness to their smoking area, when anyone spoke it sounded like you were in a tunnel. It was the second worst cabin I ever had.

Our other bargain was "oh, let's book a lower category, and get upgraded" (we were Diamond at the time, and not my idea, HIS idea). HA! That never happened! We were on the Jewel. Lowest passenger deck available, it was so low the elevator lost sight of daylight when descending to our floor, we had a porthole not even a window. We were in the bowels of the ship. We couldn't fit our suit cases under the bed so we had them next to the bed, had to move them every time we got up. Never again. Will never expect to be upgraded ever again. This was our worst cabin! Right now I'm smiling, thinking about it, but not then. I don't think we talked for 2 days. It's a good thing we spent most of our time up on the pool deck ;)

Those are my two little somewhat funny stories. Like someone previously said "live and learn", to which you agreed! And not to worry, I am not here to say anything that will make you feel any worse than you already do. Unlike others.

So sorry to see so many people who are not sympathetic, supportive or understanding about this situation.

I agree -- especially since the two guarantee cabins you have are 4-person cabins, booked for 2 people! -- that it is "fishy" those 14 cabins disappeared while you were on the phone. Highly unlikely they were booked while you were waiting to be transferred; and how weird that no one could make this work out for you. (The "recategorization" issue would have been more likely if you were currently booked in 2-person cabins and were hoping to move into 4-person cabins, which RCI did recently recategorize to maximize the number of people on board.)

Better customer service is the secret here, not "you should've known better," or "you knew what you were buying." It does sound like that one person tried to make it work out for you, but couldn't get around some invisible road block.

I like the suggestions to keep trying, call back again, call C&A rather than reservations, etc. I wish you a wonderful cruise, and hope that you and your kids can at least be at the same end of the ship, or on the same deck, if not in connecting cabins. Good luck!!!!:)

(And no critique intended, but yes, it is easier on the eyes to read posts which are broken into paragraphs -- I hope I made that suggestion in a way that is not offensive!!);)

Lol, yes, it could have been written better, but the words were flowing! Thanks you for your use of "Tact", and thank you for your well wishes!

I can't believe all the "flaming" people are giving the OP. He made an observation and a, what I think is a legitimate "beef". I have had similar situations where I could see a room online and the cruise line says it isn't available, his was that the cruise line changed the category of the room. The cruise may have been booking up and there are more berths than the ship can hold so they didn't want to book 2 people in a 4 people cabin or didn't want to change them from a 4 person cabin to a 2 person cabin, whatever the reason the cruise line "changed the rules at the last minute". It is their ship and they can do as they wish, but doesn't mean the OP has to "like" it. So get over yourself and your "hating".

Thank you....

Hello, I hope it works out, that you'll be able to move closer together, and as you stated you'll have an enjoyable cruise regardless.

I've tried two different types of cost saving measures in the past. One was a 'guarantee balcony', saved about $900 for the cruise. Ended up with an "aft" cabin. Can't remember which ship - it was a big one (Freedom?). I was so upset being all the way in the back until the RCCL reps convinced me by saying "oh, those are popular" and "people book months in advance for those - you'll love it", and so I kept it - and the $900 savings. Well, when I ever went out to the balcony I couldn't believe how much steel was all around us. Could hardly see the water beyond the steel girders. When we looked down we saw decking used by the crew, we were witness to their smoking area, when anyone spoke it sounded like you were in a tunnel. It was the second worst cabin I ever had.

Our other bargain was "oh, let's book a lower category, and get upgraded" (we were Diamond at the time, and not my idea, HIS idea). HA! That never happened! We were on the Jewel. Lowest passenger deck available, it was so low the elevator lost sight of daylight when descending to our floor, we had a porthole not even a window. We were in the bowels of the ship. We couldn't fit our suit cases under the bed so we had them next to the bed, had to move them every time we got up. Never again. Will never expect to be upgraded ever again. This was our worst cabin! Right now I'm smiling, thinking about it, but not then. I don't think we talked for 2 days. It's a good thing we spent most of our time up on the pool deck ;)

Those are my two little somewhat funny stories. Like someone previously said "live and learn", to which you agreed! And not to worry, I am not here to say anything that will make you feel any worse than you already do. Unlike others.

That's right, lesson learned! All of my cruise experiences have been awesome thus far. Other than this, I expect the awesomeness will continue! Thanks!

Most likely they were pulled to fill guarantees which means no, they are not available and yes, they are "booked" they just have not been assigned.

Again, I'm sorry but you knew this was a risk. And yes it may have worked out better for you had you called a few minutes earlier..but you didn't. That person you were transferred to? That was Resolutions. And the person they called? That was Revenue. No one overrides Revenue. They are like stateroom Gods. If Revenue said no, the answer is no.

Your best bet is to keep looking. Or, pay more and book assigned rooms.

If I understand correctly, the negative experience in all of this was actually caused by the excessive wait time during your call to RCI. I can certainly relate to that. The wait times have become ridiculous. I've had to call them many times for various reasons over the last few months and have been put on hold every time. On Saturday it was for an hour, I got hung up on, had to call back and it took another 45 minutes to accomplish what I initially called about which was a price drop of $75pp the day before final payment was due and then to make that final payment. There is no reason it should take that long. But with all the complicated rules it is taking longer for their own reps to navigate the system, not to mention with all the cut backs in the name of revenue, that don't have enough hired reps to take the calls.

Yes, that is a very negative experience and it affects different people in different ways. But it seems to be affecting every single person who has to make that dreaded call. I can't imagine how travel agents are coping with the wait times when they need to make calls on behalf of their clients.

Had they taken your call immediately, you would have slipped in before they recategorized those rooms. It's a shame they did it while you were on hold.

Gina

Edited by mommabean