My first negative experience with Royal Caribbean

If you don't like to see signatures, you can turn them off look upper left 'user CP' click on that, then 'edit options' then scroll down and uncheck 'show signatures'.

I gather this is directed at my post.

As I stated in that post I like to see a contributor's past cruises information but not when it really lengthy and not compact. I also know that these can be turned off and one only needs to click on the poster using name to see their signature if that option is used.

Sometimes I feel that even my signature is too long especially with the cruise count down I use but there's 43 cruises listed, my contact info and I really like that particular count down with all the information about our next cruise it provides.

I also try to remember to uncheck the Show your signature option on the reply to thread screen when doing subsequent posts on the same thread.

I agree that the original paragraph could have been easier to read with some line breaks, but I still read it.

Trying to book cruises is really frustrating sometimes. We stay away from the GTY's these days because the couple of times we've tried them we got rooms that, I'd guess, nobody else wanted. In retrospect, that makes sense because there is a heavy discount for the risk. One of the rooms was right under the buffet and we had to wake up at 5:30a every morning with carts rolling around. Another had a partially obscured balcony (meaning a big beam was making it hard to see off the balcony).

Maybe if you call them back and just offer to upgrade to the normal price they could get you two rooms in a different category? It may be that there are just no other rooms they consider GTY worthy (I.E., they think they can sell them for more).

It is understandable that you'd want the kids close and that you'd want separate rooms. We've done that lots of times. It is better for them and the parents to get some "space". That is, assuming they are trustworthy and are in the room when you think they are. We had a code we used with our kids. If they were ever leaving their room before they thought we'd be awake they would knock with a special knock on our door so we'd know. Then if they were at a kid function after we'd gone to our room they'd do the same knock when going back. That sort of thing works better if they are next door or across the hall. The special knock did give us peace of mind without necessarily having to wake up much or answer the phone or the door.

I also don't like the signatures because they add so much length to the messages. I turned them off and rarely even care enough to go look at them manually (unless I am curious for some reason). It makes it so much easier to read the posts (IMO).

Way off topic rant... I wish there was a way to turn off quoting of picture reviews. There are so many times when someone just quotes a whole message that someone posts with 6 or so pictures and a paragraph about each. I'm not sure why people feel the need to quote the OP's review since they probably already know what they wrote. If they do quote it why not just edit it down to what you're really asking about?

OK, rant over. I feel better now.

Tom

I'm not sure. Someone mentioned that someone's signature was too long so I was just telling them how to turn them off.

No. I'm not. Try reading it again. And it's "you're", not "your". :rolleyes:

Not permitted on this Board to correct English usage, but since you started it, that poster was absolutely correct - your = posessive, while you're is a contraction of you are.

In any event, if you cannot get cabins close together on the same deck, I would absolutely have your daughter bunk with your wife. Ten is way too young for that much of a separation.

OP, I can understand your disappointment and frustration, however when you choose a guarantee, you need to be prepared to accept whatever the cabin assigners give you. Yes, the temptation to save a lot of money is great, but IMO it's too risky if you have specific needs. I would NEVER take a guarantee if I had a need for two cabins together, especially with young children. It's fine to gamble with your own cabin assignment as long as you're willing to accept the consequences, but gambling with your minor children's assignment is another matter entirely.:(

Edited by Cindy

Hope everything works out for you and your family. I have an idea, can you upgrade one of the rooms? You already have both of them assigned, try to find an available cabin close to one of your rooms and pay the difference. Just an idea…. you are definitely not happy with the location of your cabins.

This is certainly a viable option for the OP.

He can upgrade their deck 7 forward inside to the one PR inside, #6607, that is currently showing available at $829 and there's a Saving Certificate offer code, HBEX, that expires March 31, which will give them $75 off of the total cabin price. Same code can be applied to the other inside they have if it hasn't already been used for that cabin.

An aft deck 6 F OV, #6400, can be had for $909 to replace same forward cabin, and its saving certificate offer code, HBEW, gives $150 off of that total cabin price.

To upgrade the deck 6 aft inside an E2 gty is available at $999, which will likely get an E1 assigned as there are plenty those available but no E2s or an E1 can be selected, forward 7542 and 7256 are showing open, for $1019 each and if OP is C&A Emerald the balcony discount will give them $200 off of the total price of either. If not the same Saving Certificate offer code above provides $150 off as it's for OV or higher.

We do this regularly with our lower price guarantee bookings. We see what cabin our guarantee gets assigned and try switching to a better cabin available in same category if assigned cabin is not to our liking. Also have paid to upgrade to a better cabin especially if a real deal shows up for those higher categories after we booked the lower price guarantee.

Edited by robtulipe

I have not read the entire thread, but to the OP: keep an eye on availability. If you see two rooms connected or neighboring show up, place a 24 courtesy hold on these IMMEDIATELY via the internet. You'll be two courtesy hold numbers and then you can call RCI and have them switch the rooms. I've done that before and it worked beautifully. My TA always told me to courtesy hold a room when I see it, so another person doesn't grab it.

M, Do you really think that is so if you're speaking to the C&A society. I don't know about you but that group tends to recognize our status when I've called them with requests.

Also I've seen that mentioned on this forum previously but never had that confirmed by anyone from RCI. Are you part of that organization?

Besides that didn't you notice that I was being a bit sarcastic with the wording of that comment.:rolleyes:

CA status certainly does get attention with requests such as dining table size, seating time, or other reservations but has no benefit for any type of guarantee cabin assignment or the ability to bend rules regarding room change. No, I am not "with the organization” but a fellow cruiser with many cruises on RCCL over the past 25 years. I’ve had just about every type of cabin category and have sailed all those “desired” cabins that I now often take guarantees ( in specific categories) because we cruise often and generally cabin location is not a factor.

And sorry, I did not pick up on any sarcasm.

enjoy the crusie

M

Folks, back in February my wife and I decided instead of cruising with the kids this summer, we'd give it a try on their spring break, so maybe we could go alone in the fall.

We picked a time and a cruise and gave Royal a call. There was such a savings on choosing 2 "Guarantee Staterooms" versus one room for all of us, we decided to go that route and save a little over $800 and have two bathrooms to get ready in for the evenings. So myself and son were booked in one, and my wife and daughter in the other.

The representative told us we would get our room assignment probably a couple of weeks before the cruise, but that evening when we got confirmation, we were already assigned rooms....one on the 6th floor, ships rear, and one on the 7th at the front of the ship. Now, I booked understanding that we'd land wherever they put us, but the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned about them being separated so far from me on the ship.

I called Royal and asked what my options were and was told that even though I did the stateroom guarantee, if another room of the same category was available (K), that I could switch to be closer. Unfortunately, I was told none were available. It was suggested to me by them that I call back from time to time, and perhaps there would be a cancellation, and I could move if it was available. So that was cool, I'd give it a try.

I called back about a week later, still nothing available in the K category. I was given the same suggestion to check back. Today, I went online just checking prices, and lo and behold, there were FOURTEEN K category rooms available, two of them having connecting staterooms beside them that were available as well! I made the call right then, and in about 15 minutes, I had someone on line. He says yep, we got them, let me transfer you to someone who can handle that for you. Great!

I was on hold for about 10 more minutes, and another lady came on the line, knew my name and what I was looking to do. She asked me again the specific room number that had the connecting room, I told her the two, and she said she was just looking at them, "let me pull them up". Now she says "Well, I just saw them, but they've disappeared." She tells me to hold on, she needed to call someone else. In the meanwhile, I am sitting in front of my computer with the rooms that are available on the website, so I open another tab and pull RCCL up again, do the search again, and all of the rooms are no longer there. :confused:

She finally comes back and tells me she's sorry, but the rooms have been re-categorized in some fashion (I don't remember exactly what she said) since I called by RCCL, and they were no longer available! I replied "You mean regardless of the fact that they were available when I made this call, and have been on hold and transferred that I can't get them?" She apologized again and told me she begged for who she had called to let her have the two rooms for me, but she was declined! :mad:

Now again, I knew what I was getting when I booked, but I also know what they told me when I called inquiring, and to me this is just bad business!! This will be my 7th cruise with Royal, and it would seem that my loyalty to them (Only cruise line I have used!) would in turn give them some loyalty to me! So, that's my vent for today, but this is surely going to change my opinion of them as a whole. Have a good evening, thanks for listening!

Fixed

Edited by DrD

Sorry, no sympathy here. I know people love to book Guarantees to save money, then they also love to complain when they don't get the cabin that they'd hoped for.

I myself always travel with 5 people, so we always need 2 cabins, I would NEVER consider booking a Guarantee, because we want to be next to each other, and the only way to assure that is to pay for the priviledge.:eek:

Sorry, pay up or take your chances.;)

I

Way off topic rant... I wish there was a way to turn off quoting of picture reviews. There are so many times when someone just quotes a whole message that someone posts with 6 or so pictures and a paragraph about each. I'm not sure why people feel the need to quote the OP's review since they probably already know what they wrote. If they do quote it why not just edit it down to what you're really asking about?

Tom

And I'm so with you on this one. Now see how easy it was for me to get rid of part of your post? :) People can quote a post and delete the pictures in the process and I wish they would.

Gina

Hope you are able to find a resolution...perhaps by putting a hold on connecting cabins, then speaking to RCCL and removing hold during the telephone conversation with them!

I really wish people who are not able to say anything pleasant or helpful would say nothing at all !!

CA status certainly does get attention with requests such as dining table size, seating time, or other reservations but has no benefit for any type of guarantee cabin assignment or the ability to bend rules regarding room change. No, I am not "with the organization” but a fellow cruiser with many cruises on RCCL over the past 25 years. I’ve had just about every type of cabin category and have sailed all those “desired” cabins that I now often take guarantees ( in specific categories) because we cruise often and generally cabin location is not a factor.

And sorry, I did not pick up on any sarcasm.

enjoy the crusie

M

I still not seeing any hard evidences in your post only pure conjecture on your part that this is so. As you can see in my signature we've done quite a few RCCL cruises and have arranged and followed up on far many more for friends and family as indicated by my post on the upgrades of the multi cabins same guarantee bookings and how they were compared to the occupants loyalty status. Some of our friends have said I should be doing this as a profession.

I do have lots of experience with reassignments of gty cabins as I always have been able to change to another same category available cabin and once got upgraded to the next class of cabins on X when I contacted the loyalty group to do a cabin change.

This wasn't with RCCL but last month we did a Ruby Princess cruise and 4 days prior to embarkation I call their Capt's Circle group to upgrade our balcony to a mini-suite gty that had become available. There was only one mini available, an extra large accessible, which was the cabin we wanted and a few next higher class aft Vista suites which were also fine with us. I happened to mention this availability to the rep when doing the upgrade and he asked if I wanted the accessible mini and I replied yes. He put me on hold for a minute or so while he checked it out and likely spoke to a supervisor and then came back saying that accessible mini had been assigned to us immediately.

In fact RCI bent the rules for us for our next cruise. This booking was done onboard a RCCL ship but in Cdn funds but it was assigned to the US TA I had used for the cruise we were on. Turns out that TA had difficulties with the $CAD booking as their system wasn't set up for this so I suggested they simply transfer it back to RCI and I would handle it directly. They tried to do this but since it was a fully paid for, after final payment booking, their system wouldn't allow the transfer. In the mean time on the weekend I saw a E1 balcony I wanted to upgrade to and thinking the booking had gone back to RCI, contacted them directly to do this. C&A rep saw that our TA had faxed in the transfer form but told me it couldn't be done and why. Since I wanted a particular cabin that had just became available and my TA was closed they went ahead and did the upgrade and after wards got a note from my TA stating I could handle my booking. The TA even gave us a higher OBC for the upgrade that I was and had done all the work on as it was still their commissionable booking .

Edited by robtulipe

Sorry, no sympathy here. I know people love to book Guarantees to save money, then they also love to complain when they don't get the cabin that they'd hoped for.

I myself always travel with 5 people, so we always need 2 cabins, I would NEVER consider booking a Guarantee, because we want to be next to each other, and the only way to assure that is to pay for the priviledge.:eek:

Sorry, pay up or take your chances.;)

I've got to agree with you ... I've done Guarantees before but never when I need something specific.