My first negative experience with Royal Caribbean

Folks, back in February my wife and I decided instead of cruising with the kids this summer, we'd give it a try on their spring break, so maybe we could go alone in the fall. We picked a time and a cruise and gave Royal a call. There was such a savings on choosing 2 "Guarantee Staterooms" versus one room for all of us, we decided to go that route and save a little over $800 and have two bathrooms to get ready in for the evenings. So myself and son were booked in one, and my wife and daughter in the other. The representative told us we would get our room assignment probably a couple of weeks before the cruise, but that evening when we got confirmation, we were already assigned rooms....one on the 6th floor, ships rear, and one on the 7th at the front of the ship. Now, I booked understanding that we'd land wherever they put us, but the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned about them being separated so far from me on the ship. I called Royal and asked what my options were and was told that even though I did the stateroom guarantee, if another room of the same category was available (K), that I could switch to be closer. Unfortunately, I was told none were available. It was suggested to me by them that I call back from time to time, and perhaps there would be a cancellation, and I could move if it was available. So that was cool, I'd give it a try. I called back about a week later, still nothing available in the K category. I was given the same suggestion to check back. Today, I went online just checking prices, and low and behold, there were FOURTEEN K category rooms available, two of them having connecting staterooms beside them that were available as well! I made the call right then, and in about 15 minutes, I had someone on line. He says yep, we got them, let me transfer you to someone who can handle that for you. Great! I was on hold for about 10 more minutes, and another lady came on the line, knew my name and what I was looking to do. She asked me again the specific room number that had the connecting room, I told her the two, and she said she was just looking at them, "let me pull them up". Now she says "Well, I just saw them, but they've disappeared." She tells me to hold on, she needed to call someone else. In the meanwhile, I am sitting in front of my computer with the rooms that are available on the website, so I open another tab and pull RCCL up again, do the search again, and all of the rooms are no longer there. :confused: She finally comes back and tells me she's sorry, but the rooms have been re-categorized in some fashion (I don't remember exactly what she said) since I called by RCCL, and they were no longer available! I replied "You mean regardless of the fact that they were available when I made this call, and have been on hold and transferred that I can't get them?" She apologized again and told me she begged for who she had called to let her have the two rooms for me, but she was declined! :mad: Now again, I knew what I was getting when I booked, but I also know what they told me when I called inquiring, and to me this is just bad business!! This will be my 7th cruise with Royal, and it would seem that my loyalty to them (Only cruise line I have used!) would in turn give them some loyalty to me! So, that's my vent for today, but this is surely going to change my opinion of them as a whole. Have a good evening, thanks for listening!

Oh, here's a pic of the "Disappearing K Category Rooms"! You could actually scroll it down and see the rest of the rooms, but you get the picture! The other shots we too big put on here, this is the only one that would work.

R1.jpg.22558a55275684c8b0ad2e5e3a4fd121.jpg

As you said, you knew going into the reservation booking guarantee cabins, you could get them at opposite ends of the ship. Even though there were 14 cabins available on line at one point, while you were in the process of trying to get them changed, someone else must have booked them. Unfortunate for you. But how is this RC's fault, and you think this is a negative experience? I hope you can go and enjoy your cruise with your family.

Folks, back in February my wife and I decided instead of cruising with the kids this summer, we'd give it a try on their spring break, so maybe we could go alone in the fall. We picked a time and a cruise and gave Royal a call. There was such a savings on choosing 2 "Guarantee Staterooms" versus one room for all of us, we decided to go that route and save a little over $800 and have two bathrooms to get ready in for the evenings. So myself and son were booked in one, and my wife and daughter in the other. The representative told us we would get our room assignment probably a couple of weeks before the cruise, but that evening when we got confirmation, we were already assigned rooms....one on the 6th floor, ships rear, and one on the 7th at the front of the ship. Now, I booked understanding that we'd land wherever they put us, but the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned about them being separated so far from me on the ship. I called Royal and asked what my options were and was told that even though I did the stateroom guarantee, if another room of the same category was available (K), that I could switch to be closer. Unfortunately, I was told none were available. It was suggested to me by them that I call back from time to time, and perhaps there would be a cancellation, and I could move if it was available. So that was cool, I'd give it a try. I called back about a week later, still nothing available in the K category. I was given the same suggestion to check back. Today, I went online just checking prices, and low and behold, there were FOURTEEN K category rooms available, two of them having connecting staterooms beside them that were available as well! I made the call right then, and in about 15 minutes, I had someone on line. He says yep, we got them, let me transfer you to someone who can handle that for you. Great! I was on hold for about 10 more minutes, and another lady came on the line, knew my name and what I was looking to do. She asked me again the specific room number that had the connecting room, I told her the two, and she said she was just looking at them, "let me pull them up". Now she says "Well, I just saw them, but they've disappeared." She tells me to hold on, she needed to call someone else. In the meanwhile, I am sitting in front of my computer with the rooms that are available on the website, so I open another tab and pull RCCL up again, do the search again, and all of the rooms are no longer there. :confused: She finally comes back and tells me she's sorry, but the rooms have been re-categorized in some fashion (I don't remember exactly what she said) since I called by RCCL, and they were no longer available! I replied "You mean regardless of the fact that they were available when I made this call, and have been on hold and transferred that I can't get them?" She apologized again and told me she begged for who she had called to let her have the two rooms for me, but she was declined! :mad: Now again, I knew what I was getting when I booked, but I also know what they told me when I called inquiring, and to me this is just bad business!! This will be my 7th cruise with Royal, and it would seem that my loyalty to them (Only cruise line I have used!) would in turn give them some loyalty to me! So, that's my vent for today, but this is surely going to change my opinion of them as a whole. Have a good evening, thanks for listening!

I've been on 20 and I don't get nor expect and treatment others would not get.

Keep watching. I'd put the cabins on hold when you see them again (you probably will) and then call them

You knew this could happen. Don't blame anyone

I suspect that you simply got beat to the punch during the phone call. It does happen. I've had it happen a couple of times. Someone else simply got in on those rooms faster than you could.

Not fun, but not a fault either.

As you said, you knew going into the reservation booking guarantee cabins, you could get them at opposite ends of the ship. Even though there were 14 cabins available on line at one point, while you were in the process of trying to get them changed, someone else must have booked them. Unfortunate for you. But how is this RC's fault, and you think this is a negative experience? I hope you can go and enjoy your cruise with your family.

No, they weren't booked, she told me that. I wish I could remember exactly what she said, but they were somehow re-categorized in their availability? Or something? That's why she told me she begged the lady to let me have the 2, that were available and I was inquiring about. Just in the course of waiting, even though they were available when I made the call, they weren't by the time someone who could make the changes took my call. So I'll choose that as the reason it was RC's fault, the wait!

So sorry for you Aquaman :(

I see that your cruise is in 1 month... Keep trying, you never know!

First time you try to do that in many years of cruising... Do you believe in "beginner's luck"?! ;)

Yes! 1 month away! I have never used the stateroom guarantee before, and I believe this may be my last time trying it, all luck is not good luck! Still looking forward to our cruise, nonetheless!

Is it possible that you were assigned category K cabins that held 2 people and the ones that you saw online held 4 people and that was the reason that they would not let you have them. Try again doing a mock booking and put in 4 people for occupancy and see what comes up.

Sometimes if you do a fake booking online and click the cabin, then on the other side (ie. on rccl or TA, or whatever), the cabin would disappear from the system.

This happened to me once where I was looking at the cabin but my TA couldnt see it on her side. Only when I closed the booking (without holding the cabin), did it reappear.

Also, it's possible it was a glitch, or maybe 14 rooms were booked up while you were on hold...who knows...but it happened.

I'm a little confused. We're the cabins simply no longer available, or were they recatagorized and no longer an option to you because you bought the guaranty cabin (cat K)?

No longer an option to me. Again, I don't remember exactly how she explained it, but all 14 of them became unavailable just like that. The way she explained it was that if I had let's say called 30 minutes earlier, it could have been done. Bad timing, I guess.

Is it possible that you were assigned category K cabins that held 2 people and the ones that you saw online held 4 people and that was the reason that they would not let you have them. Try again doing a mock booking and put in 4 people for occupancy and see what comes up.

Actually, both cabins I have now have Pullmans and hold 4 people, according to the floor plans. I found that strange when I first booked and was assigned the cabins.

I really couldn't get through to the end of the story - paragraphs make things readable......

Hmmm.....that's funny, I read it just fine. Perhaps you should stick to children's books, and work your way up. Someone always has something smart to say. My apologies for not using the proper format. Sheesh.....

Actually, both cabins I have now have Pullmans and hold 4 people, according to the floor plans. I found that strange when I first booked and was assigned the cabins.

I knew it was a stretch but never hurts to check. We have been assigned quad occupancy cabins for two of us in the past. I would just keep doing mock bookings daily to see if anything pops up.

Not sure how old your kids are and your comfort level with room arrangements but you can get extra keys at guest services and once onboard we have found that they do not care who is in what cabin.

maybe while you were on the phone waiting for 15 minutes, someone else was already on the phone putting them on hold. Life is all about timing! I would try watching the room availability, you never know. It might be your time then;)

Can I ask what ages your son and daughter are? If they are late teens, there really shouldn't be a problem as long as they're responsible enough to share a stateroom unaccompanied. I note from your original posting that your 2 'K' staterooms gave you a saving of $800 over 1 stateroom sleeping 4 with, as you state, the benefit of two bathrooms etc. So, with respect, RCCL's mistake here is what? Being busy looking after other customers and assigning vacant staterooms to those other guests and not you? I Am sure RCCL appreciate your 'loyalty' and you will have the benefits according to your C&A status whilst onboard for both staterooms, but in this instance you got exactly what you paid for. One of the most infuriating things ever in terms of customer service is when the supplier is 'blamed' for inferior service when the customer's expectations are wholly exaggerated; its a lose/lose situation for RCCL. I hope you enjoy your spring break cruise with your family regardless of your stateroom assignments. You will, most likely, only be in the rooms a small proportion of the time in any event.

I suspect that you simply got beat to the punch during the phone call. It does happen. I've had it happen a couple of times. Someone else simply got in on those rooms faster than you could.

Not fun, but not a fault either.

We had a similar issue with a "disappearing" room when we booked. When we called they claimed it wasn't there but we were able to book the exact room we had looked at on icruise. I think Royal has some serious database issues.

To the OP sorry you're having trouble. I hope you can get it all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sooo your mad because YOU CHOSE to book Guaranteed Staterooms, then get mad because you do not like where your cabins are located.... lololol :rolleyes:

Your 7 cruises doesn't even make you diamond status, so please cry a river elsewhere.

Edited by jp30338

Hmmm.....that's funny, I read it just fine. Perhaps you should stick to children's books, and work your way up. Someone always has something smart to say. My apologies for not using the proper format. Sheesh.....

Apology accepted, insults ignored.:rolleyes: At least your reply was a short paragraph.

You said yourself that you knew what you were getting, so how is it anyone else's fault?

You don't say how old your children are, but really regardless of their ages, unless they are adult, the cabin's should never have been potluck IMHO.

That $800.00 savings is not turning out too well.

Here is what I did when I wanted to change a cabin I had booked with my TA that I wasn't really willing to settle for. I kept checking the cabins available on the RCI website - it surprised me how frequently different available cabin numbers changed. I found one I wanted to switch to and put a free 24 hour hold on it as allowed on the RCI website. I then called my TA (next morning as I had done this at night) - and while she was online I cancelled my 24 hour free hold on that cabin - and it immediately became available on her screen so she changed the cabin I had booked through her (same price and grade). Is that cool or what? I strongly recommend doing this especially when you book a great rate but they only have rooms available way in the front and back. You might not be happy with them but people upgrade or cancel their booking all the time. Of course you have to have time to check the website frequently so this might be too much work for a lot of people. But the main thing is if you find a cabin you want put a 24 hour hold on it as it will no longer be available.