Calling NCL on a payment drop after final payment

asdjl

Hi,

Yet another question! :)

I notice my balcony (I have 2 booked under my credit card one for me and one kid, the other for the other 2 kids) has dropped $60 per person.

I am not upset by this at all, but am wondering if it is "worth" calling and trying to get some OBC, I figure anything that might pay for the soda package or a few photos or a ticket or 2 at Illisionarium would be great.

What do you experienced NCL's think?

Thank you!

Stacey

Hi,

Yet another question! :)

I notice my balcony (I have 2 booked under my credit card one for me and one kid, the other for the other 2 kids) has dropped $60 per person.

I am not upset by this at all, but am wondering if it is "worth" calling and trying to get some OBC, I figure anything that might pay for the soda package or a few photos or a ticket or 2 at Illisionarium would be great.

What do you experienced NCL's think?

Thank you!

Stacey

I would personally wait it out for a bigger drop in price. With only a $60 difference, any OBC they may offer you would be minimal, and any upgrade would still cost you a bit of $. If you wait for around a $100 difference or more, you'd probably get more OBC or possibly a free upgrade.

Of course all of this is only a possibility, as I'm sure you know, NCL doesn't have to do anything after final payment.

Using the search engine there is at least a dozen pages covering this topic.

A dozen? Search?

Just scroll down through posts from the past 24 hours and you will find at least two active threads, day in and day out. No need to search at all.

By the way, this poster was very reasonable and understand, unlike some that go nuts.

I had a recent price drop of around $100 total post final payment. NCL was happy to refund me the difference. So it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you have booked through a TA who isn't interested that the price has dropped since payment can you ring NCL yourself and get OBC or an upgrade?

This is my first cruise

Booked a owners suite on the 10th floor---saw the price dropped a $1000, we are sailing in 26 days. Had my TA call NCL and ask if they would give upgrade....they upgraded us to 15th deluxe owners suite in 15 th floor which has a private whirlpool on the balcony.

If the price drops always good to have TA call.

If you have booked through a TA who isn't interested that the price has dropped since payment can you ring NCL yourself and get OBC or an upgrade?

This is my first cruise

I'm not sure if it's different on your side of the pond but in the US if you booked with a TA, they own your reservation and NCL will not talk to you. Only your TA can call NCL. :(

I always phone, regardless if final payment has been reached or not. After final payment my rep says their rule of thumb is 25% of the difference in OBC. I consider that fair.

I've done it on our first 2 NCL cruises. I asked nicely and respectfully. I didn't demand anything. And they always came through for me.

I concur with others on the too soon. I booked an inside on the Epic last year. I waited until the balcony cabins were within $50 of the price I booked at and gave them a call. I ended up getting upgraded free to a family balcony that was $400 more per person than my original booking. I found out why they did it when I got on the boat. You had to go by way of China to get to the room. We had some other issues with our steward but thats another story. Personally I'd hold off a little bit before calling. They drop significantly 2-3 weeks out of the sail date. If you don't get anything you could go to the guest services desk once on board and see if they could upgrade you after you're on board.

This is NCL new Patton dropping prices after final payment. It has effected many loyal ncl people. Who feel they did not get justest from NCL.

NCL should do something before they get to be known for this

This is NCL new Patton dropping prices after final payment. It has effected many loyal ncl people. Who feel they did not get justest from NCL.

I'm fairly certain they all do it, not just NCL. I see threads like this on the Carnival boards quite often.

On my Princess cruise they slashed the price about 2 weeks after final payment. It wasn't minor either, they cut the price of my suite something like $600 per PERSON. I called, but was told "too bad, that's the way it goes." The people on the Princess boards are pretty much resigned to it being handled like that. I was told it's best to not even bother checking prices after you book or you'll just ending up feeling pissed off. Good advice for Princess.

So at least NCL will do something, while other cruise lines (in my case - Princess) will do nothing.

I'm fairly certain they all do it, not just NCL. I see threads like this on the Carnival boards quite often.

After a while here you start to realize that people constantly making those claims are the same persons over and over again. As you said, it's the same all around.

So at least NCL will do something, while other cruise lines (in my case - Princess) will do nothing.

Excatly this. Also like in OP's case the choice is between getting adjoining cabins and getting onboard for sure or waiting for the best possible price with cabins that might be in completely opposite directions - if there are any left on later time.

To be more precise, it affects self-centered "loyal ncl people." People who are upset because some other people they of course do not even know got a better deal than they did.

NCL is doing this to improve their revenue stream, since they obviously do not expect a sufficient number of the remaining cabins will fill at the price your loyalists paid. If this somehow forced them to lower the price for everyone else, it certainly would not be a very effective way for them to increase profitability.

Personally, I hope every one of these self-centered loyalists quits sailing with NCL. Nothing bad about improving the class of folks with whom you are going to sail.

I don't see how anyone can get upset when the prices drop on the unsold cabins. It is simple supply & demand. A better way to deal with it is to request an upgrade. They are not obligated to offer anything, but it seems NCL is kind enough to offer upgrades and/or on board credits. I was able to upgrade two adjoining cabins at minimal cost. Did that have to? No, but they did happily. I love NCL and look forward to many future cruises with them.