Traditional Dining - questions about table selection...

marjosagb

Sailing on the Caribbean Princess in April.

We're a family of 7, and would like our own table in the MDR.

With Traditional Dining, can you go to the MDR when you first board the ship to choose your table (from the options that may be available) for the week?

Or is this something that we could even do in advance?

Reason I ask is because we had a table near the window on our last cruise (with a different cruise line), and really enjoyed that.

Any insight on this would be really appreciated :) Thanks!

Edited by marjosagb

If you have booked traditional dining you will be allocated a table and dining room. This is printed on your cruise card at embarkation. If you are not happy you need to see the Maître d as soon as poss

I would often have the TA mark the table near Window and it was rarely followed when the table was assigned.

I think if you want a table near the window, it may be best to do anytime dining.

Sailing on the Caribbean Princess in April.

We're a family of 7, and would like our own table in the MDR.

With Traditional Dining, can you go to the MDR when you first board the ship to choose your table (from the options that may be available) for the week?

Or is this something that we could even do in advance?

Reason I ask is because we had a table near the window on our last cruise (with a different cruise line), and really enjoyed that.

Any insight on this would be really appreciated :) Thanks!

I am assuming you have all your bookings linked together for dining. If not, get that done. Since you are a group of 7 you will probably be assigned to a table that sits up to 8. This size table is available throughout the dining room. Traditional fixed seating is normally in the Palm DR and also some early seating in the Coral DR. Looking at the deck plans I do not see any 8 tops next to the windows. Remember, in the area you are going the sun set around 7pm, so if you dine late you will not see anything out the window. When you board, check your cruise cards to assure all the family has the same table no., and visit the DR.

Thanks for the replies.

We are in 3 cabins and all are linked together for dining.

If we chose the traditional dining route we will ask the MD on day 1 to see if this type of request is possible (if not, it's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

And if we go the anytime route we will just call each morning to reserve a table at the time we would like. I suspect that you can make a request for a particular table or waiter when making an anytime reservation, although there are no guarantees.

Two more questions while on the topic...

-Is regular drip coffee & tea served in the MDR at no additional cost?

-Is it common for people to bring a glass of wine or cocktail with them into the MDR?

(in the case that you have a drink already going when it's time to go into the dining room)

We have never seen larger tables near the windows.

Actually... I think window tables are "over valued" depending on your timed seating. They will close the curtains if the lower setting sun bothers anyone in the area and once it turns dark, you can't see anything anyways.;)

-Is it common for people to bring a glass of wine or cocktail with them into the MDR?

(in the case that you have a drink already going when it's time to go into the dining room)

No. The dining room coffee is made from concentrate but that said, it's almost always better than that in the buffet. However, you can use your coffee card for specialty coffee.

It's not common for people to carry a drink or glass of wine into the dining room but it's not prohibited. If I haven't finished my drink by the time I go to dinner, I bring it with me. Not many people do but it's OK.

If we chose the traditional dining route we will ask the MD on day 1 to see if this type of request is possible (if not, it's not that big of a deal, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Since you have a large group the maitre d would have to move too many people to grant your request. It's not going to happen.

You would probably see a few more people doing this at anytime dining. Since there can be a wait, more people will bring a drink from their room or go to a nearby bar for the wait. You will see it at traditional too. It's not real common, but certainly acceptable. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

We are in 3 cabins and all are linked together for dining.

And if we go the anytime route we will just call each morning to reserve a table at the time we would like. I suspect that you can make a request for a particular table or waiter when making an anytime reservation, although there are no guarantees.

No its a syrup coffee/tea in the MDR and its free.

Yes

I think the MD can address your anytime issue too so you don't have to call every day, unless you want a different dining time everyday.

Interesting. So you cannot just get a regular tea bag + hot water in the MDR?

Or regular drip coffee for that matter?

Seems strange...from what I understand you can get these items in the Buffet / Intl Café at no charge, but perhaps I am wrong about that...

I enjoy coffee and tea on occasion (maybe once per day on a cruise), but not enough to justify buying a coffee card.

Princess does not even have a clue about "drip coffee." They are the "masters" of making coffee from dehydrated syrup....and that coffee tastes like it was made from dehydrated syrup. As long time Princess Elite folks, we have not been on the line for nearly 4 years (and we cruise over 70 days a year) because of 2 reasons. 1. My intense dislike of Princess dish water...oops mean coffee. and 2. Our (I include DW in this one) dislike of the noise related to MUTS during the daytime (the "S" in MUTS is supposed to mean Stars...not Sun).

Now we must admit that Princess has listened to complaints from folks like me and made some interesting adjustments. Yes, you can get decent coffee on Princess ships, but you have to pay for it (and you cannot get it in the MDR). And if you want to avoid the MUTS noise you are welcome to go the nice quiet Sanctuary (at $40 a day per person). Now we think it might be more interesting if Princess were to charge $40 a day for MUTS. Wonder how many would pay :)

Hank

Interesting. So you cannot just get a regular tea bag + hot water in the MDR?

Or regular drip coffee for that matter?

Seems strange...from what I understand you can get these items in the Buffet / Intl Café at no charge, but perhaps I am wrong about that...

I enjoy coffee and tea on occasion (maybe once per day on a cruise), but not enough to justify buying a coffee card.

Yes tea bags are available, didn't mean to lump it in with the coffee syrup comment.

Fresh brewed coffee is available in the IC for a fee.

We have never had a problem with the non fresh brewed stuff.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

2. Our (I include DW in this one) dislike of the noise related to MUTS during the daytime (the "S" in MUTS is supposed to mean Stars...not Sun).

I've never been on a ship with an outdoor screen, so I will have to see how I feel about the extra noise during the day. I'm surprised that you can even see the screen during sunlight hours, but I guess you can. I do really like the idea of outdoor movies at night though...so if a bit of extra noise in that area during the day is the trade off it might be okay with me...we'll see.

As for the coffee, it's good to know that the fee free is some sort of syrup based coffee drink. I'll give it a try, and if I don't like it I don't mind paying a few bucks per day for a real coffee in the morning (fortunately I only drink 1 per day at most).

I've never been on a ship with an outdoor screen, so I will have to see how I feel about the extra noise during the day. I'm surprised that you can even see the screen during sunlight hours, but I guess you can. I do really like the idea of outdoor movies at night though...so if a bit of extra noise in that area during the day is the trade off it might be okay with me...we'll see.

As for the coffee, it's good to know that the fee free is some sort of syrup based coffee drink. I'll give it a try, and if I don't like it I don't mind paying a few bucks per day for a real coffee in the morning (fortunately I only drink 1 per day at most).

When Princess first introduced MUTS (it means "Movies Under the Stars") they would only put on silent videos during the day (most Princess cruisers became familiar with the surfing dog). They then decided to put on some movies (usually family oriented or kids stuff) during the day and they actually experimented with wireless earphones for those that wanted sound. But the earphone thing was very short lived (and only on 1 or 2 ships). They then started having movies, sports, and whatever blasting for a good part of the day at the pool. In windy conditions, the aft pool is often not very usable so if one wanted to be in the sun and sheltered from the wind they were stuck listening to the blasting MUTS. This was a "game changer" for us and drove us to a few hundred days of cruising on HAL and Celebrity.

So in a few weeks we are coming back to Princess...and we shall see if things have improved :)

Hank