Trying to be patient ... Double charged for cruise balance

It is quite possible that the TA didn't know the refund would be coming in increments...and it is possible that this is because Royal didn't make this clear to the TA.

Listen, I'm as loyal to royal as they come (and as you all know, even worked for them for years) but they are terrible at refunding and the only consistency they have in refunds is that its never consistent.

I blame Royal here. Their payment system took too much, their refund system is weird and arbitrary and their communication of this is lacking.

Sorry, I still blame the TA. The TA should know there business....ALL of the business they do, which includes REFUNDS and how the various cruise lines handle them. True, what I have learned here about how Royal handles refunds I personally don't like. I hope I don't have a situation involving a refund from Royal (and we have only cruised on Royal, and will be continuing to do so) -- I know more about the process.

The TA had the responsibility to make the cruiser totally aware of what the process was going to be......maybe the cruiser should find another TA....who knows what else this TA doesn't know about her business.

Sorry, I still blame the TA. The TA should know there business....ALL of the business they do, which includes REFUNDS and how the various cruise lines handle them. True, what I have learned here about how Royal handles refunds I personally don't like. I hope I don't have a situation involving a refund from Royal (and we have only cruised on Royal, and will be continuing to do so) -- I know more about the process.

The TA had the responsibility to make the cruiser totally aware of what the process was going to be......maybe the cruiser should find another TA....who knows what else this TA doesn't know about her business.

So let me get this straight...you expect a TA to directly contradict what Royal tells them and tell the client something different because the TA should magically know exactly how it will happen?

Try and work it out with thee vendor first. Doing a chargeback causes all kinds of issues and should be done as a last resort only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

So let me get this straight...you expect a TA to directly contradict what Royal tells them and tell the client something different because the TA should magically know exactly how it will happen?

I never said the TA should contradict what Royal tells them....what the TA should have told him in the beginning was what was going to happen...and the TA did not inform the cruiser accurately of what to expect. If the TA did not know what to expect, they don't know their business well enough to be IN business as a travel agent.

I never said the TA should contradict what Royal tells them....what the TA should have told him in the beginning was what was going to happen...and the TA did not inform the cruiser accurately of what to expect. If the TA did not know what to expect, they don't know their business well enough to be IN business as a travel agent.

And what I am saying is it is just as likely that when the OP notified the TA that she was overcharged, the TA called Royal to inquire about the refund, was told it would refund out in full and the TA then told the OP that. Of course, we know that is not what happened, but you seem to expect the TA automatically knew it would refund in bits and pieces and we just don't know that to be true.

So how about we don't vilify a TA that we know nothing about?

And for the record, I am usually the first to slam a TA when I think they were in the wrong (which is, imo, often the case) but in this case the fault lies with Royal and with what Royal likely told the TA.

Edited by cruisnseas

And what I am saying is it is just as likely that when the OP notified the TA that she was overcharged, the TA called Royal to inquire about the refund, was told it would refund out in full and the TA then told the OP that. Of course, we know that is not what happened, but you seem to expect the TA automatically knew it would refund in bits and pieces and we just don't know that to be true.

So how about we don't vilify a TA that we know nothing about?

And for the record, I am usually the first to slam a TA when I think they were in the wrong (which is, imo, often the case) but in this case the fault lies with Royal and with what Royal likely told the TA.

No where in this thread can I find that the OP says that what you have suggested by stating, "And what I am saying is it is just as likely that when the OP notified the TA that she was overcharged, the TA called Royal to inquire about the refund, was told it would refund out in full and the TA then told the OP that." YOU are making that presumption.

EVERY TA should know how EACH cruise line handles refunds; they should know their standard operating procedures -- that is the TA business.

I fully believe that Royals policy is terrible about how they handle refunds....that doesn't change anything.

No where in this thread can I find that the OP says that what you have suggested by stating, "And what I am saying is it is just as likely that when the OP notified the TA that she was overcharged, the TA called Royal to inquire about the refund, was told it would refund out in full and the TA then told the OP that." YOU are making that presumption.

EVERY TA should know how EACH cruise line handles refunds; they should know their standard operating procedures -- that is the TA business.

I fully believe that Royals policy is terrible about how they handle refunds....that doesn't change anything.

Refunds can be refunded spread out or in a lump sum. I've received both ways. To blame the TA for not informing one way or the other is ridiculous. I'd imagine the cust service rep at RCL didn't even know for sure.

When I was a TA I sure didn't know. All I said to the client is that from past experience, the refund is usually done within a week. RCL covers their butt by saying 1-2 billing cycles

Edited by SeaUs

In all the back and forth between who to blame, I think you all are missing a significant point. As one poster stated, RCI REQUIRES certain payments at certain times but in the case of returns, they usually stagger them back to consumer.

This is NOT by accident. Refunds can be given back in full amount just as they collect revenue in full amounts. The choice to refund in increments allows RCI to collect interest on $$ they have. Even if it's just a month or so until full refund occurs, they (RCI) collects interest on those $$.

Now a few hundred dollars here and there doesn't seem like much, BUT when you add it up over the number of refunds they have yearly, it DOES add up to thousands and thousands of dollars. Just another way to add to corporate profit.

In all the back and forth between who to blame, I think you all are missing a significant point. As one poster stated, RCI REQUIRES certain payments at certain times but in the case of returns, they usually stagger them back to consumer.

This is NOT by accident. Refunds can be given back in full amount just as they collect revenue in full amounts. The choice to refund in increments allows RCI to collect interest on $$ they have. Even if it's just a month or so until full refund occurs, they (RCI) collects interest on those $$.

Now a few hundred dollars here and there doesn't seem like much, BUT when you add it up over the number of refunds they have yearly, it DOES add up to thousands and thousands of dollars. Just another way to add to corporate profit.

I totally understand that Royal has a business agenda at play for why they want to stagger the refund to the customer. The overall process isn't in the best interests of the consumer as far as refunds and isn't fair. It is what it is....we also know up front that your cruise has to be paid in full, weeks before you actually cruise...and it is just as easy to say they are making money on that money already paid to them, before your sailing.

actually in my experience getting refunds, i was never told that it comes back in parts until recently.

the port charges and taxes are refunded separately as they are paid out to the entities that collect them.

every agent may not know every refund policy...they may never process refunds for some lines...should the agent ask? yes...but can we stop blaming TAs for everything???

And we all know that if we ask Royal a question 5 times we will get 10 answers...

sent from my ellipsis..

Edited by megr1125

Refunds can be refunded spread out or in a lump sum. I've received both ways. To blame the TA for not informing one way or the other is ridiculous. I'd imagine the cust service rep at RCL didn't even know for sure.

When I was a TA I sure didn't know. All I said to the client is that from past experience, the refund is usually done within a week. RCL covers their butt by saying 1-2 billing cycles

It is interesting to hear from you that you have received refunds both ways -- meaning sometimes spread out over a period of time or in a lump sum.

At a minimum level of customer service -- the TA should have explained to the OP when the issue was presented as the problem it was of 'a double billing to their account' that it would be resolved and that it can be 'credited back in one of two ways' -- it will either be a lump sum or be refunded in smaller portions. But it will be resolved.

Customer service is not just the end result; it is the passing along of information along the way to the final result.

It is interesting to hear from you that you have received refunds both ways -- meaning sometimes spread out over a period of time or in a lump sum.

At a minimum level of customer service -- the TA should have explained to the OP when the issue was presented as the problem it was of 'a double billing to their account' that it would be resolved and that it can be 'credited back in one of two ways' -- it will either be a lump sum or be refunded in smaller portions. But it will be resolved.

Customer service is not just the end result; it is the passing along of information along the way to the final result.

You make it sound like this period of time is weeks or months. It's not. It's sometimes the same day.

You make it sound like this period of time is weeks or months. It's not. It's sometimes the same day.

People in this thread have already made mention to the fact that it has sometimes taken months. The customer/cruiser has a right to know what possibilities to expect.

Another update .... Thanks for all the info and tagging along while I get this all straightened out. I'm typing on my iPad so I can't quote people, but I did want to comment about a few things I read here ...

I booked two separate cabins and have two separate booking numbers. We booked a balcony and an inside for the kids. The sum of what we owed on BOTH CABINS was $5,174.84. I gave my credit card info to my TA on 3/11. On Sunday, 3/16 my credit card was charged that amount twice ... The charges came from Royal Caribbean. I called my TA on Monday 3/17 and she said she would take care of it. Here's what took place after that .... Bear with me ... I just want to paint a clear picture since there have been some assumptions:

1) two charges appear on cc for $5174.84 each on 3/16 (Sunday)

2) on the morning of 3/17 I called TA; she said she would take care of it ... At this point, she did NOT say anything about multiple amounts being refunded back over a length of time ... She just said " oh darn it! I will take care of it" and we hung up.

3) at 8:29 pm on 3/17, I got an email from my TA that said this "Royal Caribbean has issued a refund for the double charge, it should show on your account tomorrow or Wednesday." And that is it. Again, no mention of multiple amounts, multiple days, etc.

4) on 3/18, I checked my account and two refunds were pending ... One for $1720.00 and one for $23.40. I had started this thread so at this point I knew to expect multiple refunds (thanks guys!) so I waited to see if anymore appeared. Seeing none, I emailed my TA again and told her this "hey xxxxxx, I just checked my account and I only see refunds for $1720 and $23.40 dated yesterday. The total refund should be $5,174.84."

5) she replied at 9:15 am on 3/20 ... "Will check again ... They always bring it back in spurts. You will probably notice more today." THIS IS THE FIRST TIME SHE MENTIONED THE MULTIPLE AMOUNTS.

6) I checked my account again and emailed her back at 10:06 am on 3/20 and said this "okay ... I just checked my acct again and nothing is showing yet ... Only the two previous refunds. Still looking for an additional $3,431.44 to be refunded. Let me know if I need to call my credit card company."

7) I checked my acct again that afternoon (3/20) and saw another refund so I sent my TA another email that said "I see another refund pending for $1,114.84. We are getting there ... Why can't they just credit the entire amount all at once?" ... Her reply at 3:00 pm "since I was told it would take six hours, I do not understand why it takes so long. When they return it, it comes back in pieces. You should see all of it today I hope. You can tell your credit card company it was a mischarge if it helps. Let me know." *I HAVEN'T CALLED THE CC COMPANY YET ... STILL WAITING AND HOPEFUL THAT MORE REFUNDS WILL APPEAR THIS WEEKEND.

8) at 8:57 am on 3/21 SHE EMAILED THIS: "any more back?"

9) I replied at 11:20 on 3/21 "no, nothing showing today ... Still need $2,316.60 refunded ... Thanks" Her reply at 12:04 was " I called they put $23.40 back not $2340. I'm so sorry, will call again."

10) her reply at 12:22 pm on 3/21 "they said you should see another refund $2,219.18 from today till over the weekend. They will send me the $97.42. I will send you a check for this. If for some reason they refund the entire amount, you can rip up the check. Someone forgot a decimal in the amount." AT THIS POINT, I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED ...

11) I sent her an email that evening (3/21) at 6:22 pm "thanks for staying on top of this. Still no refunds showing today ... Just want to keep you updated." Her reply on 3/22 at 11:43 am was "thanks!"

12) 3/22 at noon .. I checked my account AGAIN and sent ANOTHER email "I checked it again this morning and there are still no new refunds." I haven't heard back from her yet.

So, we have been communicating, albeit with only pertinent details. But at least she is following up and responding to my emails. I still don't understand the different amounts and why RCCL does it this way. I wish she was more proactive in my regard but it is what it is ... I just want my money back!!!

So that's it .... Long winded but that's what has happened to date.

Edited by jhnsnfamily

After doing some calculations, if the amounts were done correctly and "someone" at RCCL had not missed a decimal point, the three amounts refunded over two days would have been $1720.00, $2340.00, and $1114.84, which would have equaled $5,174.84. But since there was an error (double charge) accompanied by a clerical error (decimal point in the wrong place), the problem was just compounded!!! I have terrible luck, I tell ya!!!

After doing some calculations, if the amounts were done correctly and "someone" at RCCL had not missed a decimal point, the three amounts refunded over two days would have been $1720.00, $2340.00, and $1114.84, which would have equaled $5,174.84. But since there was an error (double charge) accompanied by a clerical error (decimal point in the wrong place), the problem was just compounded!!! I have terrible luck, I tell ya!!!

Isn't it time to call your credit card company? There is an awful lot of unacceptable "incompetence" going on here! RCCL made the mistake in a single transaction and that is how it needs to be returned. You should not have to wait over multiple days and need to add amounts up only to find they have done it wrong. THIS MESS IS NOT OF YOUR MAKING,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

People in this thread have already made mention to the fact that it has sometimes taken months. The customer/cruiser has a right to know what possibilities to expect.

One of the problems with Royal's system is that once you convince Resolutions that they made an error, they have to communicate the solution to Accounting. After three separate Resolutions agents told me they were submitting a request for refund, Accounting charged my credit card three more times for the same deposit. That may have explained why I received three separate refunds. My resolution may have taken longer than others because it went through Mr. Goldstein's office.

Your TA did not handle this correctly...and they should be able in 5 to 10 minutes to correctly credit your account for the overcharges.

Not true. All the TA can do (and appears to have done) is work with RCI to get the money refunded. The money does not flow through the TA's account, and RCI will only refund to the credit card used to make a purchase, so the TA couldn't advance the money and have RCI reimburse her.

Another update .... Thanks for all the info and tagging along while I get this all straightened out. I'm typing on my iPad so I can't quote people, but I did want to comment about a few things I read here ...

I booked two separate cabins and have two separate booking numbers. We booked a balcony and an inside for the kids. The sum of what we owed on BOTH CABINS was $5,174.84. I gave my credit card info to my TA on 3/11. On Sunday, 3/16 my credit card was charged that amount twice ... The charges came from Royal Caribbean. I called my TA on Monday 3/17 and she said she would take care of it. Here's what took place after that .... Bear with me ... I just want to paint a clear picture since there have been some assumptions:

2) on the morning of 3/17 I called TA; she said she would take care of it ... At this point, she did NOT say anything about multiple amounts being refunded back over a length of time ... She just said " oh darn it! I will take care of it" and we hung up.

3) at 8:29 pm on 3/17, I got an email from my TA that said this "Royal Caribbean has issued a refund for the double charge, it should show on your account tomorrow or Wednesday." And that is it. Again, no mention of multiple amounts, multiple days, etc.

4) on 3/18, I checked my account and two refunds were pending ... One for $1720.00 and one for $23.40. I had started this thread so at this point I knew to expect multiple refunds (thanks guys!) so I waited to see if anymore appeared. Seeing none, I emailed my TA again and told her this "hey xxxxxx, I just checked my account and I only see refunds for $1720 and $23.40 dated yesterday. The total refund should be $5,174.84."

5) she replied at 9:15 am on 3/20 ... "Will check again ... They always bring it back in spurts. You will probably notice more today." THIS IS THE FIRST TIME SHE MENTIONED THE MULTIPLE AMOUNTS.

6) I checked my account again and emailed her back at 10:06 am on 3/20 and said this "okay ... I just checked my acct again and nothing is showing yet ... Only the two previous refunds. Still looking for an additional $3,431.44 to be refunded. Let me know if I need to call my credit card company."

7) I checked my acct again that afternoon (3/20) and saw another refund so I sent my TA another email that said "I see another refund pending for $1,114.84. We are getting there ... Why can't they just credit the entire amount all at once?" ... Her reply at 3:00 pm "since I was told it would take six hours, I do not understand why it takes so long. When they return it, it comes back in pieces. You should see all of it today I hope. You can tell your credit card company it was a mischarge if it helps. Let me know." *I HAVEN'T CALLED THE CC COMPANY YET ... STILL WAITING AND HOPEFUL THAT MORE REFUNDS WILL APPEAR THIS WEEKEND.

9) I replied at 11:20 on 3/21 "no, nothing showing today ... Still need $2,316.60 refunded ... Thanks" Her reply at 12:04 was " I called they put $23.40 back not $2340. I'm so sorry, will call again."

10) her reply at 12:22 pm on 3/21 "they said you should see another refund $2,219.18 from today till over the weekend. They will send me the $97.42. I will send you a check for this. If for some reason they refund the entire amount, you can rip up the check. Someone forgot a decimal in the amount." AT THIS POINT, I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED ...

11) I sent her an email that evening (3/21) at 6:22 pm "thanks for staying on top of this. Still no refunds showing today ... Just want to keep you updated." Her reply on 3/22 at 11:43 am was "thanks!"

12) 3/22 at noon .. I checked my account AGAIN and sent ANOTHER email "I checked it again this morning and there are still no new refunds." I haven't heard back from her yet.

So, we have been communicating, albeit with only pertinent details. But at least she is following up and responding to my emails. I still don't understand the different amounts and why RCCL does it this way. I wish she was more proactive in my regard but it is what it is ... I just want my money back!!!

I know it's frustrating, but what more is it that you want her to do? It seems to me that she has requested the refund and kept on top of it. She can't exactly fly to Miami and dance on Adam Goldstein's desk until it's all resolved.

I have had to track down refunds for clients at some point, and if RCI gave me a time frame in which to expect the refund, I would wait until the time expired before I called them again. RCI told your TA that the rest should come over the weekend, which has just started. I don't think it's unreasonable for her to wait until Monday to follow up again.

PS you can quote people from the iPad.;)

Not true. All the TA can do (and appears to have done) is work with RCI to get the money refunded. The money does not flow through the TA's account, and RCI will only refund to the credit card used to make a purchase, so the TA couldn't advance the money and have RCI reimburse her.

I know it's frustrating, but what more is it that you want her to do? It seems to me that she has requested the refund and kept on top of it. She can't exactly fly to Miami and dance on Adam Goldstein's desk until it's all resolved.

I have had to track down refunds for clients at some point, and if RCI gave me a time frame in which to expect the refund, I would wait until the time expired before I called them again. RCI told your TA that the rest should come over the weekend, which has just started. I don't think it's unreasonable for her to wait until Monday to follow up again.

PS you can quote people from the iPad.;)

Hey I can quote from the iPad! I'm not sure what I expect from her ... I guess I just feel like she made the phone call and the refund will happen ... Easy peasy. Well, it's not her five grand at stake, it is mine. In my world, that's A LOT of money. This is the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. I want it back yesterday ... Not in a few days, not in several transactions, and I certainly don't want one mistake compounded into two due to a decimal point in the wrong place. Now, I know this is not her fault, but if it were HER five grand, I'm sure she would be on the phone with RCCL until she saw the money refunded into her account. My hands are tied. She is my link to RCCL. I don't want to have to check my account every single day, twice a day, and send her email after email. I am frustrated. She should be frustrated. Yes, I will wait until Monday ... But if the final refund hasn't shown up by then, I will let her know how much this whole process has really left a bad taste in my mouth as far as RCCL and the way they do business goes.

As far as the timeframe goes, they told her I would see the refund in six hours. It has now been six days.

Edited by jhnsnfamily

Coming from someone who dealt with this all day long when I worked for Royal, there is nothing more your TA could do. Your TA has zero ability to speed up refunds - even if she spent every hour of the day on the phone with Royal. As a matter of fact, if you're getting refunds this quickly your TA has pushed hard and probably reached out to several high level contacts at Royal.

Also, I don't know who told her it would be six hours, but that bespeaks an ignorance of how any merchant refund works. Royal cannot guarantee a timeframe because they have to return the funds and then wait on your bank to process them. I had once incident where Royal returned the funds (and had the transaction authorization number to track it) and the receiving bank took 7 days to post it. But the customer kept calling Royal upset and refused to believe that we had no control over it at that point.

Edited by cruisnseas

Guest maddycat

I have two suggestions:

1. Get yourself a back up credit card.

2. Write or email Adam Goldstein detailing this whole problem caused by RCI's double charging your credit card and how they handle refunds. There is absolutely no reason why they can't refund the total amount in a timely manner. It should not be piece meal and over a period of days or weeks. I have never heard of any other company operating in this manner. It is unacceptable.

Hey I can quote from the iPad! I'm not sure what I expect from her ... I guess I just feel like she made the phone call and the refund will happen ... Easy peasy. Well, it's not her five grand at stake, it is mine. In my world, that's A LOT of money. This is the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. I want it back yesterday ... Not in a few days, not in several transactions, and I certainly don't want one mistake compounded into two due to a decimal point in the wrong place. Now, I know this is not her fault, but if it were HER five grand, I'm sure she would be on the phone with RCCL until she saw the money refunded into her account. My hands are tied. She is my link to RCCL. I don't want to have to check my account every single day, twice a day, and send her email after email. I am frustrated. She should be frustrated. Yes, I will wait until Monday ... But if the final refund hasn't shown up by then, I will let her know how much this whole process has really left a bad taste in my mouth as far as RCCL and the way they do business goes.

As far as the timeframe goes, they told her I would see the refund in six hours. It has now been six days.

Hey Michelle,

It's certainly reasonable to be frustrated over this. Sounds like your TA is on top of this as you are exchanging emails almost daily. That's about all your TA can do is be in touch and keep on RCL for the credit back to you. I'd probably give them 1 more business day and then if not resolved on Tuesday I'd call the CC company and put an end to it. RCL has had their chance to fix it. By reporting it to your CC company the unauthorized charges come right off and that's the end of it. Your 5 grand is not at stake, never was.

If you do call the cc company and dispute the charges, be aware of the very real risk that your valid bookings will be cancelled. I've seen it happen and it never ends well. Hopefully this can resolve itself amicably.

But, like SeaUs said, your $5,000 is not at risk - not really.