Trying to be patient ... Double charged for cruise balance

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL.

Reputable TA's do not make the charges, the cruiseline does.

You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles.

Now you're making stuff up

For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

If the charge has RCL's name on it, who cares?

If the TA's name is on the charge, who cares. That's why you paid with a credit card, to be protected

Denying a charge is way different than disputing one.

You'll have to explain that statement to me. When you dispute a charge, you are denying it

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment.

Not if you end up disputing the charge they don't

I'm a banker that has worked with dispute resolution for many years. You and I don't know what condition the TA is in. (Many have gone out of business) In my career I have seen this too many times. A company is going under and abuses customers' credit cards. Just because RCI put through the actual charges does not mean the TA won't benefit.

If this was a debit card and you were out $5,000 would you wait? The fact is the credits received were different than the original charges indicates to me there is a major problem. The OP owes the bank $10,000 - the credits. I have seen these double charge problems cause all sorts of havoc. If you are at your credit limit because of these charges, your card is now useless. Worse yet, your car breaks down and you need the card, or bills are paid using the card (cable, phone, cell phone) when they bounce you end up with big fees.

Simply put, having seen these situations I made my recommendation based on 20 years of experience. I'm entitled to my professional opinion as you are. $5,000 is way too much money to be waiting for an company that is particularly bad with dispute resolution. And the OP must deal with the TA and not directly with RCI makes me cringe.

Not if you end up disputing the charge they don't. That's true, but it complicates the problem and depending on how well this credit card company deals with credit bureaus. Once a late payment is reported as late you better hope the bank does a good job of clearing it.

It's true RCI is not likely to go bankrupt any time soon. But if you think your bank can protect you from a bankrupt company you are wrong. Filing a dispute after a company has gone out of business puts you in line with all of the other creditors.

I'm a banker that has worked with dispute resolution for many years. You and I don't know what condition the TA is in. (Many have gone out of business) In my career I have seen this too many times. A company is going under and abuses customers' credit cards. Just because RCI put through the actual charges does not mean the TA won't benefit.

If this was a debit card and you were out $5,000 would you wait? The fact is the credits received were different than the original charges indicates to me there is a major problem. The OP owes the bank $10,000 - the credits. I have seen these double charge problems cause all sorts of havoc. If you are at your credit limit because of these charges, your card is now useless. Worse yet, your car breaks down and you need the card, or bills are paid using the card (cable, phone, cell phone) when they bounce you end up with big fees.

Simply put, having seen these situations I made my recommendation based on 20 years of experience. I'm entitled to my professional opinion as you are. $5,000 is way too much money to be waiting for an company that is particularly bad with dispute resolution. And the OP must deal with the TA and not directly with RCI makes me cringe.

Not if you end up disputing the charge they don't. That's true, but it complicates the problem and depending on how well this credit card company deals with credit bureaus. Once a late payment is reported as late you better hope the bank does a good job of clearing it.

It's true RCI is not likely to go bankrupt any time soon. But if you think your bank can protect you from a bankrupt company you are wrong. Filing a dispute after a company has gone out of business puts you in line with all of the other creditors.

You're blaming the TA for what probably wasn't their fault. All a TA does is relay the credit card info to the cruiseline. Not likely they did it twice for the heck of it.

If this was a debit card and you were out $5,000 would you wait?

It wasn't according the the OP, why bring it up?

The fact is the credits received were different than the original charges indicates to me there is a major problem. The OP owes the bank $10,000 - the credits. I have seen these double charge problems cause all sorts of havoc. If you are at your credit limit because of these charges, your card is now useless. Worse yet, your car breaks down and you need the card, or bills are paid using the card (cable, phone, cell phone) when they bounce you end up with big fees.

If the overcharge overdrew my account for example yes I'd call, but not unless. The charge would come right off and RCL would have to prove the charge was legit.

Simply put, having seen these situations I made my recommendation based on 20 years of experience. I'm entitled to my professional opinion as you are. $5,000 is way too much money to be waiting for an company that is particularly bad with dispute resolution.

What do you base that on, "stuff" you hear here?

I've never heard of RCL not resolving their mistakes as in overcharges

Sure wouldn't wait nor expect the OP to wait to to call until the payment was due in like 4 weeks (or more). There would be no late payment to report

Edited by SeaUs

As an FYI, the refund WILL be in different amounts....taxes come back, cruise fare, gratuities....

It happens...I had to cancel a cruise for a family member right after they paid in full but before the final payment date...she got the whole amount back over a few days, and the amounts were NOT the total, but it did add up.

Give them a little time...If your agent calls, Royal can give them the amounts...that's what I did for the cruise I cancelled....they read me each line item as it was refunded...

You are wrong.

Royal can and does refuse to accept any credit card on which you have filed a dispute.

Been there, done that. Just got a new card. No big deal.

I'm not saying they don't do it. I'm saying it is something that wouldn't play well in the press, at a minimum.

We had to cancel a few cruises throughout the years we have been cruising and we never were credited the whole amount at one time.

It was a hundred here, 30-40 there, until after a month or two or less, we received the whole amount.

You're blaming the TA for what probably wasn't their fault. All a TA does is relay the credit card info to the cruiseline. Not likely they did it twice for the heck of it.

If this was a debit card and you were out $5,000 would you wait?

It wasn't according the the OP, why bring it up?

The fact is the credits received were different than the original charges indicates to me there is a major problem. The OP owes the bank $10,000 - the credits. I have seen these double charge problems cause all sorts of havoc. If you are at your credit limit because of these charges, your card is now useless. Worse yet, your car breaks down and you need the card, or bills are paid using the card (cable, phone, cell phone) when they bounce you end up with big fees.

If the overcharge overdrew my account for example yes I'd call, but not unless. The charge would come right off and RCL would have to prove the charge was legit.

Simply put, having seen these situations I made my recommendation based on 20 years of experience. I'm entitled to my professional opinion as you are. $5,000 is way too much money to be waiting for an company that is particularly bad with dispute resolution.

What do you base that on, "stuff" you hear here?

I've never heard of RCL not resolving their mistakes as in overcharges

Sure wouldn't wait nor expect the OP to wait to to call until the payment was due in like 4 weeks (or more). There would be no late payment to report

I apologize,

after reading your other posts in other threads I didn't realize you were a CC expert in everything. Little old me was just trying to give the OP some advice, not get into a debate with you.

You said a dispute is exactly the wrong thing to do. I defer to your infinite knowledge. :cool:

I agree with what others have said about giving it a few days.

There is a big difference between a "Pending Charge" and an "Authorized Charge".

"A pending charge is just a way for the merchant to ping the card to see if it has enough credit for the official charge to go through".

"An authorized charge is when the company finalizes the charge and it posts to your account" .

What I would do is wait 2-4 more days and see the status. Since you booked with a travel agent it is their responsibility to check on this on your behalf.

A travel agent calls in Royal and passes through the charge as an intermediary hence why you see "Royal Caribbean as the merchant".

Your travel agent calls into the Travel Agent Department at Royal Caribbean and says please post $200 for reservation XYZ. Royal Caribbean runs the card through their point of sale system and pings your account. On there end it says"Waiting for Approval" this is the time when the Royal system is talking with your bank. Your bank tells Royal that your account is in good standing and Royal authorizes the charges.

The same goes for charges onboard. Royal pre-authorizes your account for an X amount every day. Each day Royal updates the account to reflect the correct amount and the rest drops off. It takes time because the system usually updates around midnight or a certain batch goes through at a certain time so this is why it can take time for the pre-authorized charge to "Fall off".

If the charge goes from pending to approved this is when you need to dispute the charge with the merchant. Other than that it will fall off within a day or so.

I hope this clears up some of your doubts.

Edited by travelplus

Thanks for ALL the replies ... here's an update. I emailed my TA last night, and she emailed me back first thing this morning. There is another refund pending on my account for $1,114.84, which brings the total to $2858.24. So, we are making progress ... I really hope it doesn't take two months to get sorted out. :eek:

Regarding the comments about the TA being "bankrupt" and "going out of business", I assure you that is not the case. The company has been around for a long time, and my mother has used her for 25 years.

Thanks for ALL the replies ... here's an update. I emailed my TA last night, and she emailed me back first thing this morning. There is another refund pending on my account for $1,114.84, which brings the total to $2858.24. So, we are making progress ... I really hope it doesn't take two months to get sorted out. :eek:

Regarding the comments about the TA being "bankrupt" and "going out of business", I assure you that is not the case. The company has been around for a long time, and my mother has used her for 25 years.

Glad to hear things are getting better. It's too bad some part of this travel system put you through all this. I'm glad to hear you seem to have a good relationship with a trusted TA. Look at the positive side, the cruise should be a piece of cake compared to paying for it.

I was concerned because just the other day I went past a building that that housed the TA who booked our first cruise in 2004. It's now a dog grooming parlor of all things. Got a little nostalgic, and found out the office which was part of a larger agency had gone bankrupt. Oh well.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by steveru621

I apologize,

after reading your other posts in other threads I didn't realize you were a CC expert in everything. Little old me was just trying to give the OP some advice, not get into a debate with you.

You said a dispute is exactly the wrong thing to do. I defer to your infinite knowledge. :cool:

Now you know, LOL

No, I said it was the wrong thing to do without first giving the vender a chance to correct the mistake.

have a good cruise tomorrow

Edited by SeaUs

Just a note that if you request the credit card company deny a charge from Royal, then Royal will never accept that credit card again.

Oh, I've seen worse than that. People that like to dispute rather than let Royal fix the issue end up blacklisted and unable to use any credit card - at all - with Royal...ever without written verification, copies of the front and back of the card and of photo ID before a charge is accepted. Royal takes accusations of fraud very seriously.

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL. You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles. For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

Denying a charge is way different than disputing one.

The other poster that only got $500 credits also should have disputed the charge with RCI.

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment. They don't have any idea you have a credit due unless you dispute the charge with the TA.

Don't wait!

The TA processed the card through Royal's systems. She would be disputing Royal.

You are the kind of person that abuses the system. You are supposed to let the vendor fix the issue first THEN, if they do not do so, you can file a dispute.

Our final cruise payment was due on March 11th. We booked two cabins through a TA, so I called and gave her our credit card number. On Sunday, March 16th, we got two emails from our credit card company, with each one indicating that our card was charged over $5,000 (the sum of both cabins ... X2). So, we were double billed totaling over $10,000. I called the TA and she said she would take care of it. TODAY, my credit card shows two credits ... One for $1,720 and one for $23.40 ... ???????? It should be for over $5,000. I sent my TA an email and will call tomorrow if I don't hear back from her.

So, my fellow cruisers, how long do I wait before I call RCCL to try to fix this or can I even call them directly if I booked through a TA? Should I call my credit card company and advise them of the situation? My TA noted she was having a difficult time getting through and was on hold for long periods of time.

Help! Advice??? Please! My credit card went from paid off to ten grand! Ugh!

That's exactly what not to do. Give the vender a chance to fix it. If they don't, then you call the card company.

In the OP, it was mentioned that the TA was called and notified of the incorrect billing. At that MOMENT, the OP should have made very clear with the TA what the amount of the credit was to be.

Calling the credit card company directly, will get you the instructions to call the vendor, and in this situation the 'direct vendor' is RCCL, but because you (and I book all my cruises with a TA) booked through a TA, RCCL won't directly talk with you. Another poster in this thread pointed out that if the credit card company automatically reverses the charges, RCCL may take the position of 'never accepting that credit card again from you'.

Your TA did not handle this correctly...and they should be able in 5 to 10 minutes to correctly credit your account for the overcharges.

In the OP, it was mentioned that the TA was called and notified of the incorrect billing. At that MOMENT, the OP should have made very clear with the TA what the amount of the credit was to be.

Calling the credit card company directly, will get you the instructions to call the vendor, and in this situation the 'direct vendor' is RCCL, but because you (and I book all my cruises with a TA) booked through a TA, RCCL won't directly talk with you. Another poster in this thread pointed out that if the credit card company automatically reverses the charges, RCCL may take the position of 'never accepting that credit card again from you'.

Your TA did not handle this correctly...and they should be able in 5 to 10 minutes to correctly credit your account for the overcharges.

I don't know any more than you do if the TA handled it correctly.

As some others have said, credits don't come all at once and can take a few days even if it's done immediately.

I was quadruple charged for a suite reservation deposit and their records only indicated an accidental double charge. It took countless phone calls to Resolutions, emailing copies of credit card statements, and an email to Adam Goldstein's office to get it straightened out. The refunds came in three smaller amounts over two months. The way I look at it, you're already ahead of the game. Good luck and have a great cruise.

I don't know any more than you do if the TA handled it correctly.

As some others have said, credits don't come all at once and can take a few days even if it's done immediately.

I still believe the TA handled it incorrectly -- even if at a MINIMUM of making sure the cruiser knew exactly what to expect. The TA has probably had much more experience in refunds than the cruiser. The cruiser should have worked out with the TA exactly what was expected by them in the way of the amount of the refund, before getting off the phone the first time. Then it is the TA's responsibility (as a function of doing 'good customer service') to make clear to the cruiser what was going to happen...NO ONE likes to be blindsided over anything, especially their money.

When making the final payment on a cruise is generally done in minutes and in our case we receive a receipt from my TA, almost immediately.

That is what I would expect, if an error was done in some manner of overpayment. BTW, I have used the same TA for 10 years, and she would not want to lose my loyalty to her.

I still believe the TA handled it incorrectly -- even if at a MINIMUM of making sure the cruiser knew exactly what to expect. The TA has probably had much more experience in refunds than the cruiser. The cruiser should have worked out with the TA exactly what was expected by them in the way of the amount of the refund, before getting off the phone the first time. Then it is the TA's responsibility (as a function of doing 'good customer service') to make clear to the cruiser what was going to happen...NO ONE likes to be blindsided over anything, especially their money.

When making the final payment on a cruise is generally done in minutes and in our case we receive a receipt from my TA, almost immediately.

That is what I would expect, if an error was done in some manner of overpayment. BTW, I have used the same TA for 10 years, and she would not want to lose my loyalty to her.

you're in the OP's place. You discover that you've been double billed. You call your TA to inform them of this. Your TA immediately calls RCL to tell them of their mistake. RCL starts the refund process. The OP has noted in this thread that refunds in increments have begun. If you've ever received a RCL refund you'd know this is how they do it

What in the world more do you want from the TA?

Edited by SeaUs

you're in the OP's place. You discover that you've been double billed. You call your TA to inform them of this. Your TA immediately calls RCL to tell them of their mistake. RCL starts the refund process. The OP has noted in this thread that refunds in increments have begun. If you've ever received a RCL refund you'd know this is how they do it

Totally agree.

It's a financial transaction, like almost any other online purchase...and that's how things are handled. Unrealistic expectations are just that...unrealistic.

You're spot on.

Better customer service from the TA. Customer service is more than just the end result. I work in a customer service department.....it STARTS with making perfectly clear what the customer can expect, so there is NO misunderstandings of expectations.

Going over what the expected refund amount should be AND make the customer aware of how the refund transaction may occur (in several refunded amounts).

All that leaving out information does, that the TA should have provided to the OP, is make for a more unhappy customer.

Better customer service from the TA. Customer service is more than just the end result. I work in a customer service department.....it STARTS with making perfectly clear what the customer can expect, so there is NO misunderstandings of expectations.

Going over what the expected refund amount should be AND make the customer aware of how the refund transaction may occur (in several refunded amounts).

All that leaving out information does, that the TA should have provided to the OP, is make for a more unhappy customer.

Do you know what the TA said to the OP? I sure don't. The TA according to the OP is in contact so it's not like they are not providing customer service. You seem to want the TA to do something they can't

Do you know what the TA said to the OP? I sure don't. The TA according to the OP is in contact so it's not like they are not providing customer service. You seem to want the TA to do something they can't

I know what the OP has written, and it doesn't appear in any of the OP posts that they knew to expect the refund to be applied in partial amounts. The OP learned that from others in this thread, it appears -- and that is good (if not satisfactory to the cruiser) to know. It is HOW the cruiser had to get the information that isn't good, IMO.

IF the TA had told the OP in their first conversation that the refund would be processed in 'incremental' refunds, then the OP would not have been so surprised when they saw only a part of what they expected.

I know what the OP has written, and it doesn't appear in any of the OP posts that they knew to expect the refund to be applied in partial amounts. The OP learned that from others in this thread, it appears -- and that is good (if not satisfactory to the cruiser) to know. It is HOW the cruiser had to get the information that isn't good, IMO.

IF the TA had told the OP in their first conversation that the refund would be processed in 'incremental' refunds, then the OP would not have been so surprised when they saw only a part of what they expected.

The best explanation in this thread. :)

This thread has had a lot of good advice in many of the posts. The only cruise line we've ever had monetary problems with in all our cruises is RCCL. I think it's a good thing to let everybody know that RCCL, like other cruise lines, has a specific timetable where they expect certain specific amounts of money to be provided them from those who have booked a cruise...but RCCL doesn't seem to have any problem deciding to refund money (especially in cases of error) in bits and pieces over an unknown period of time. :(

If other cruise lines have similar practices the cruiser should know that as well.

We will be still taking RCCL cruises, however.

Edited by cruiseclues

It is quite possible that the TA didn't know the refund would be coming in increments...and it is possible that this is because Royal didn't make this clear to the TA.

Listen, I'm as loyal to royal as they come (and as you all know, even worked for them for years) but they are terrible at refunding and the only consistency they have in refunds is that its never consistent.

I blame Royal here. Their payment system took too much, their refund system is weird and arbitrary and their communication of this is lacking.