Princess cruises does not care about their passengers

teenie1126

Sorry to read about your father's injury, but you are probably finding out it wasn't a good idea to post your issue here as you will get little sympathy.

I agree.

Totally. I found out yesterday I may have to cancel my cruise in April but I'm not worried (I really have bigger things to worry about right now) as I have everything insured thru Princess. I've never had a problem with getting my money back except when the Berkley office was affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Princess is not heartless it is a business and you deal with them just like any other business.

I empathize with the OP because I know the issues of dealing with aging parents and with what she described, her father is very seriously injured. It will be a long recovery.

I had a severe accident 8 years ago just 2 weeks before sailing on RCCL. I was still in ICU and had to cancel. We did not have their premium insurance. My husband was able to get a refund but our 2 underage children were NOT. Heartless? Perhaps. But it is a business. I feel for you and your family and I'm sure you are all quite disappointed. Have you explored any coverage through your credit cards? I was surpised recently that by whatever metal card has coverage built in to the yearly fee. I wish a speedy recovery to your father. I'm glad you shared your sad story as reminder to everyone to consider the possible. Oh and just an added little story... a co-worker (fit and athletic) fell in the surf and broke her arm in 3 places. She had to be treated in Jamaica and pay up front. They did such a bad job that her arm had to be re-broken at home and have several surgeries to repair it! Had she had premium insurance, they would have flown her to Miami after stablizing her arm. I'm just saying...

Friends of mine were two weeks away from sailing on an Oceania cruise. She found out that she had to get an emergency mastectomy. She had purchased travel guard insurance. She origionally just asked if she could take that same cruise 3 months later and for cruiseline just to transfer the funds. Oceania was polite, but said, no, that is what insurance is for. Well, Travel Guard reimbursed her for the entire trip within a few weeks after documentation was sent. OP had better luck with American Airlines. A M Airlines charged them each a $200 change fee, but they have a year to use the plane fare. So that part was not waived. My friends admitted they should have purchased insurance to cover the plane fee as well- wouldn't have been that much more to the policy. Lesson learned.

Wow...that is a pretty slanderous statement. I see this is your first post...but with all the collective cruising you say your family has done, you should have all bought insurance...especially for 20 people. That just ups the odds some one will have a issue before travel.

You can't blame Princess for this...it is all on you. You chose to take the risk, and unfortunately lost. File your claims now with the doctors info and recover what you can...it won't be three months, I'm sure.

Hope it turns out well for you:o

OP - WHOA! Wait just a minute there. "Princess does not care about their passengers?????"

First - I hope your Dad is ok - that's the important thing.

Second - this accident is exactly what insurance is for. With documentation (and reading the policy to ensure this accident is covered), you should be reimbursed in a prompt manner.

Third - Princess owes you nothing - period. Read the contract before you purchase the product - it states as much - all cruise lines take this position. Always buy insurance or you will be SOL.

Fourth - once you receive the insurance check, book another cruise and enjoy. :)

I am sorry for your father and the whole family.

You ask for Princess to make an exception for you and your family. Every day there are people canceling for similar reasons. My wife and I were booked on the Island Princess for 30 days sailing March 2. On February 4, she was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. We had o cancel the trip. We got the port charges and a partial refund of the cruise cost from Princess immediately after we cancelled. I have filed with our travel insurance company for the rest, which is over 50% of the total cost.

Friends who were to join us on the second leg had to cancel when she had serious heart problems. They have filed with their insurance company.

BTW, we have 32 cruises for 525 days on Princess with four cruises booked for later this year

Edited by paul929207

Firstly, I hope everything works out well for your Dad. May Aunty had the same condition, so I can understand and sympothise with you while your family get through this time.

There's not much more I can add to the advise of our fellow members. All cruise lines have very similar policies on the matter. So your post would easily have been against any of them depending on who you booked with. Also

Airlines have a very different cost structure, so it is easier for them to offer more flexibility on their rules. For example most standard airlines oversell their seats knowing there will be a % of cancellations (cruise lines don't oversell their cabins - and need a fixed % of bums in beds to break even). Its very likely many (non-budget) airlines would have been able to accomodate your request also.

I do understand your fustrations though, and hope you will keep us posted with the outcome of Princess's decision and the health of your father.

Best Regards.

I pray your dad recovers quickly and can return to cruising healthily! Emergencies are terrible and stressful for everyone involved.

Princess does care greatly about their passengers, but they can't break policy for one person and not for the thousands of others who have similar emergencies. Your case is exactly the reason it's important to buy travel insurance. It's wonderful that many in your party did, and I'm sure the process will be timely for them to get their money back. I understand that you're angry, but Princess should not be blamed; they simply followed their policy with consistency. Years ago, cruise lines and airlines were more lax on their cancellation policies, but they were burned too many times and had to tighten them up.

I hope you and your family will be able to have a celebratory cruise another time and wish your dad the best!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am sure many have similar stories to tell. The one time I did not purchase insurance because I booked a cruise within weeks of sailing. Thank goodness it was a very inexpensive lesson to learn. I was able to book it as a solo without an enormous out of pocket expense.

But I am sure there are twice as many stories of people who had insurance and Princess went above and beyond for them when an event happened while on a cruise (insurance does also cover these unfortunate circumstances).

I hope the OP's father recovers comfortably. I hope the remainder of the family decides to continue with their plans (I think it would be different if her father was the one celebrating the anniversary). I hope that the OP finds peace and returns to this thread to update us about her father and the rest of the family's plans.

Insurance (with Princess or a third party) is worth every cent for peace of mind.

First, I am sorry to hear of your father's accident. That must be traumatic for the entire family.

I won't rehash the benefits of trip insurance for the cruise, and have found it to be worthwhile when used.

You said "This trip was for the entire family to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of my aunt and uncle." Those events come rarely and should be celebrated. If your father is saying "go celebrate with them" he is probably wishing he could be there, too, and is sending you as his proxy. Think about that and talk to your folks again.