Refridgerator for meds

So apparently the search function is disabled again so I can not search.

We just found out my hubby will need to have new meds in a fridge. How do I go about getting one for our cabin?

Our cruise is the 29th. Is it too late to ask?/ Do they take the one out of the room and replace it with a real fridge?

Thanks for any help...

We just found out my hubby will need to have new meds in a fridge. How do I go about getting one for our cabin?

Our cruise is the 29th. Is it too late to ask?/ Do they take the one out of the room and replace it with a real fridge?

Thanks for any help...

Call the Special Needs Department: >800-722-5472

My kids always get sick before vacation so I am always stuck needing a fridge. They really are accommodating I have found. Basically, what they have done for me is to take out items from my mini fridge so the meds can fit. On one cruise I had them empty the entire refrigerator in my kids cabin because otherwise they would have used everything in it anyway. I have always found if you ask them nicely they will help you. Oh and it's your cabin steward who helps everyone else will frustrate you.

The mini fridges found in most cabins, are not true refrigerators and may not keep sensitive medication at the correct temperature. For casual chilling, they are fine. As suggested, call special services if you need a proper refrigerator.

enjoy

M

Thanks for any help...

Personally I never order a fridge from Special Needs. Generally it's placed in the room in addition to the existing cooler and takes up valuable floor space. Rather I pack meds in several zip lock bags and than pack in a small nylon lunch cooler bag. Once on board I fill the nylon lunch cooler with ice and place it in the existing cooler fridge,. I just ask the cabin to make certain there's an ice bucket in the room filled with ice at all times in case the ice needs to be replenished in the nylon lunch cooler bag.

Personally I never order a fridge from Special Needs. Generally it's placed in the room in addition to the existing cooler and takes up valuable floor space. Rather I pack meds in several zip lock bags and than pack in a small nylon lunch cooler bag. Once on board I fill the nylon lunch cooler with ice and place it in the existing cooler fridge,. I just ask the cabin to make certain there's an ice bucket in the room filled with ice at all times in case the ice needs to be replenished in the nylon lunch cooler bag.

Thanks. I was wondering where they put it.(we leave in 2 weeks). I imagine it takes up room either on the floor or on the countertop. We may have it taken away and use your method.

Thanks. I was wondering where they put it.(we leave in 2 weeks). I imagine it takes up room either on the floor or on the countertop. We may have it taken away and use your method.

They are also known to put them in the space under the vanity where you would pull the chair under.

This is usually what I do with my insulin as well. In fact if it is insulin that you need to keep cool, most insulin now does not require below 40 degree refrigeration. I grew up with insulin that required refrigeration at all times (I have juvenile onset diabetes). Now the most common ones like humalog, apidra, novolog, Lantus etc. don't require refrigeration if they are going to be used within 28 days. They say it can be kept at room temp. away from direct sunlight and temps. over 78 degrees.

If the medication that needs to be refrigerated is insulin, you should be fine just placing it in the mini bar. So long as you're not taking more than a month's supply with you.

If it's not insulin I agree with the suggestion of ice and a lunchbox in the mini bar. I'd rather keep all of the floor space I can in a cruise cabin. :)

Thanks for any help...

Here is the link to the Special Needs form: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I bet (though I don't know) that the infirmary would be happy to store medications for you. It would require a quick trip to deck 2 to retrieve it, but you know it would be well cared for.

I bet (though I don't know) that the infirmary would be happy to store medications for you. It would require a quick trip to deck 2 to retrieve it, but you know it would be well cared for.

They might but they do have limited hours so if they needed their meds while it was closed, there would be a problem.

Some of the ships have small refrigerators about the size of a lunch pack that they plug in and place on top of the vanity. I also use insulin and the beverage/snack cooler is fine for me but it all depends on what the requirements are for your meds.

Mike

Edited by Motorman23

This is usually what I do with my insulin as well. In fact if it is insulin that you need to keep cool, most insulin now does not require below 40 degree refrigeration. I grew up with insulin that required refrigeration at all times (I have juvenile onset diabetes). Now the most common ones like humalog, apidra, novolog, Lantus etc. don't require refrigeration if they are going to be used within 28 days. They say it can be kept at room temp. away from direct sunlight and temps. over 78 degrees.

If the medication that needs to be refrigerated is insulin, you should be fine just placing it in the mini bar. So long as you're not taking more than a month's supply with you.

If it's not insulin I agree with the suggestion of ice and a lunchbox in the mini bar. I'd rather keep all of the floor space I can in a cruise cabin. :)

For the diabetics who use injectable drugs such as Insulin, Victioza and Byetta. The above is correct, once it is being used, it does not require a refer. Olny when being STORED BEFORE USE. I have been traveling with my insulin in the pouch linked below for years, used or unsued. A real convinience.

http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

Edited by Fla Mike
sp

If it's a biological drug like Humira, Cimzia, etc that you will only need to take once or twice during the cruise it would be best to keep it in a specially designed cooler bag until you can get it to the infirmary to store it properly for you. The special needs dept can arrange this for you. I always arranged my trips and injections so that I wouldn't need to bother, but I did look into it just in case.

ok - thank you everyone. He has a new insulin and another inject able that has to be in the fridge all the time. Also another med that is not diabetes related. May have to figure this out. We have a grand suite so floor space probably will not be an issue.

Thanks again..

• 2 weeks later...

I have kept it in the cooler (mini bar) the i have the room attendant take everything out of the mini bar and i put the ice bucket in it. It works fine. Never had any problem. When going to an excursion i put it in a ziplock bag and i have a small insulated pouch with ice that fits in my bag... Everywhere you go you will always find a bar or a place that lets you refill with ice if it melts. Always worked for me. First time traveling with Carnival i do not know if they have a mini cooler?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I took and injectable drug for 2 years that had to be kept between 37 and 45 ' . The refrig is NOT suitable and DO not depend on special needs because they never worked for me. I brought a very small Rubbermaid cooler and kept it filled with ice. Be sure to insulate the drug with a bit I

Of bubble wrap so it doesn't lay directly on the ice so it will not freeze. Enjoy and u have no worries when you do it w

Yourself. Mine could not be ex rayed also so I had to request a hand check when boarding both ship and planes.