Explorer bed situation with 4 people

TNIris

Our travel agent tells us our only two options on Explorer for four people is either:

(A) a room with two beds that turn into a king and a sofa bed that pulls out,

OR

(B) 4 pullman bunk bed type things with no sofa in the room to sit on. :confused:

And, she said the family view ocean room is for five people, and that Royal won't let you book it if you have less than five people.

It is me, my husband, our 17 year old who is 6 foot 5 (and a half, he says) and our 12 year old daughter.

Someone won't have a bed! Even if we were to try and put our 12 year old on the floor, which I don't think she would agree to, that sofa bed still won't be good for a 6 foot 5 person, will it?

I guess the room with four pullman beds would be okay, but nothing to sit on other than the beds? Does this sound correct? And they don't have balcony rooms with this set up.

When we were on Freedom, it was me, my husband and daughter in a room and we got my son his own room with my grandmother, but she's not going this trip.

Thoughts welcome! :)

I have never heard of a room with 4 Pullman beds. The rooms have a double bed that can be split into 2 along with 2 Pullman beds that pull down from the ceiling and the do have a two person size sofa to sit on.

Well, I know for a fact that you can book a FOV for less than 5 people, but it depends how far out you are. Royal Caribbean releases those rooms several months before sailing. I think the room with the 2 Pullmans might still be small. It was with 2 adults and two small kids in the room when I booked it for my mother in law.

~Jacqui~ Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure that you get your TA to price out the cost of 2 cabins. Many times I have found that for the rates that are charged for the 3/4 guest are just as much as they charge fore the 1/2 guests in an inside cabin.

Not sure what type of cabin you were looking at but there are all kinds of possibilities.

2 connecting insides, outsides or balconies

Balcony and inside across the hall

Outside with inside across the hall.

Best benefit is 2 washrooms.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I have never heard of a room with 4 Pullman beds. The rooms have a double bed that can be split into 2 along with 2 Pullman beds that pull down from the ceiling and the do have a two person size sofa to sit on.

I agree.

OP - it would be very helpful to know what cabin category you are looking at. I believe the inside cat K offers two lower beds and two Pullmans plus a love seat. This kind of cabin will work best if the lower beds are separated. There are D1 balcony cabins that are larger and offer one Pullman over the main bed and a sofa bed. From what you've said, I'm assuming you are looking at a category K inside cabin.

Think seriously about your cabin location. If you are near the forward elevators, some of your group can easily go up to the fitness center to shower. This will take the pressure off your bathroom. If you are close to the aft elevators on deck 7, folks can easily hang out in the Library area.

Take some time to do your own research on the RCL web site or a big online website. You can call RCL, chat with them, and book directly. You have 60 days to transfer the reservation to your TA to get some additional OBC.

Our travel agent tells us our only two options on Explorer for four people is either:

(A) a room with two beds that turn into a king and a sofa bed that pulls out,

OR

(B) 4 pullman bunk bed type things with no sofa in the room to sit on. :confused:

And, she said the family view ocean room is for five people, and that Royal won't let you book it if you have less than five people.

It is me, my husband, our 17 year old who is 6 foot 5 (and a half, he says) and our 12 year old daughter.

Someone won't have a bed! Even if we were to try and put our 12 year old on the floor, which I don't think she would agree to, that sofa bed still won't be good for a 6 foot 5 person, will it?

I guess the room with four pullman beds would be okay, but nothing to sit on other than the beds? Does this sound correct? And they don't have balcony rooms with this set up.

When we were on Freedom, it was me, my husband and daughter in a room and we got my son his own room with my grandmother, but she's not going this trip.

Thoughts welcome! :)

You need a new TA. There is no such cabin with 4 pullmans and no sofa. What date are you looking at? Type cabin?

Make sure that you get your TA to price out the cost of 2 cabins. Many times I have found that for the rates that are charged for the 3/4 guest are just as much as they charge fore the 1/2 guests in an inside cabin.

Not sure what type of cabin you were looking at but there are all kinds of possibilities.

2 connecting insides, outsides or balconies

Balcony and inside across the hall

Outside with inside across the hall.

Best benefit is 2 washrooms.

I agree, at least consider two staterooms. In addition to the above, there are a couple sets of balcony connecting to a windowless cabin at the afts corners. that might be nice if you want a balcony.

We are sailing on Explorer on Oct 9th, taking advantage of the kids sail free.

Really wanted a balcony room. We can get 2 inside rooms for the price of a balcony, but I really wanted a balcony.

I'm calling a family meeting tonight, we've got a decision to make.

Oh, and supposedly the ship is almost totally sold out. This soon???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've done the room with the 2 Pullmans with our teenagers (boys now 16 & 18)

Do not do the room with the sofa bed. The bed pulls out into a double & believe me my teenagers would not sleep together & I'm betting yours won't either.

If you can find one, sometimes there's a room with a combo of the Pullman & a sofa bed, so they're kind of a bunk bed configuration with the Pullman above the sofa.

I did a quick look and you either want the room with the + or the Diamond shape. We always do 4 in a room and have never had an issue. I have teenage boys and my younger one at 16 is tall

Edited by hansolosmom

We are sailing on Explorer on Oct 9th, taking advantage of the kids sail free.

Really wanted a balcony room. We can get 2 inside rooms for the price of a balcony, but I really wanted a balcony.

I'm calling a family meeting tonight, we've got a decision to make.

Oh, and supposedly the ship is almost totally sold out. This soon???

There are lots of D1 balconies available. Looks like cost is $3348 total for 4

If you got 1 balcony and an inside, cost would be a little over $4K

The balconies have a sofa bed and a king bed that can be split into 2 singles

Edited by SeaUs

We were on FOS in Sept and had 2 adult kids stay with us in an inside room!There are 2 beds they can put together for a king or leave separate and then we had the 2 Pullmans that come down from the ceiling and a very small loveseat type sofa. We made do as we are in the room very little!

There is a family ocean view available for that sailing. It's an FO cabin, 6200, only 1 left and they are letting 4 passengers book it. Save it quick and decide tomorrow.

Huge and comfortable for 4, but no balcony - $3388 total

FO_7500_1.JPG

FO_7500_2.JPG

FO_cabin_3.JPG

FO_7500_View.JPG

Edited by SeaUs

I agree with others here look for 2 cabins. Yes the kids sail free is enticing but 2 cabins is more so with kids your kids ages and size.

The cist us well worth it. If you want a balcony, get one with the kids across the hall in an inside or promenade. Done it multiple times, worth the few extra dollars.

My choice would be the family ocean view or 2 cabins. 4 in a regular room is just too tight. When you have your family meeting the only ones who get to vote are the adults who are paying for the trip. ;)

Book this cruise yourself. Why rely on a travel agent who gives you misinformation?

"There are lots of D1 balconies available. Looks like cost is $3348 total for 4

If you got 1 balcony and an inside, cost would be a little over $4K"

wow not to hijack this but boy am I glad we booked the 1st day of kids promotion. 3 (2 adults and 12yr old) of us in a balcony (D1-7656) on exact cruise as OP and it was only $2050 ($3076.?? after taxes, fees, gratuities and insurance.)

Depending on how much time everyone will spend in the cabin, I would compare the rates and go with what your comfy with.

What we used to do in this situation is split the bed into two singles for the kids, and put the parents on the pullout couch. You can ask your room steward for an extra eggcrate topper for the couch mattress.

Wow! You guys gave me some wonderful ideas!!! I am so glad to learn that we can have the family ocean room, I think that's what we're going for!

Thank you again, once again cruise critic'ers save the day!!!

Wow! You guys gave me some wonderful ideas!!! I am so glad to learn that we can have the family ocean room, I think that's what we're going for!

Thank you again, once again cruise critic'ers save the day!!!

If you haven't done so already either book it or put a it on 24 hour hold. I believe someone said there is only one left.

Those ottomans can double as storage (great for shoes) and the sofa might also have storage in the bottom. The FOV we had was Freedom 8500 and we absolutely loved it!