Fireworks on Freedom??

No fireworks shows on any RCI ship. Wasn't even aware that they did one in the past. Was it a video of the Carnival Freedom?

The fireworks display was provided and paid for by the organizers of the High Seas Rally. The rally was attended by members of the motorcycle community. Also attending we're guests who require kidney dialysis. The expenses for these people were paid for by the donations of all the bikers that were on the cruise.

How nice for the bikers to provide finances for those needing dialysis.

Also, I would have never guessed that they would have been permitted to have a fireworks display...........I had thought Disney was the only one.

I guess you learn something new every day.

Sea Ya

I had also heard that Disney was the only company granted an exemption for fireworks---and their yellow lifeboats which they appealed to the USCG about because "lifeboat orange" doesn't match Mickey's color scheme. And the sad thing is that the USCG GAVE them the exemption! Likely because they're Disney-like that means a hill of beans....

How nice for the bikers to provide finances for those needing dialysis.

Also, I would have never guessed that they would have been permitted to have a fireworks display...........I had thought Disney was the only one.

I guess you learn something new every day.

Sea Ya

NCL also has fireworks on it's 2 newest ships, Breakaway and Getaway

I had also heard that Disney was the only company granted an exemption for fireworks---and their yellow lifeboats which they appealed to the USCG about because "lifeboat orange" doesn't match Mickey's color scheme. And the sad thing is that the USCG GAVE them the exemption! Likely because they're Disney-like that means a hill of beans....

The Norwegian Breakaway class does fireworks on every sailing now as well. Disney was just the first to do it. When we sailed they did it at night in Nassau off the pier. Then they developed compressed air launched fireworks and were allowed to use them at sea (no fire on the deck and computer chips control the explosion time and height). I'm guessing NCL is using the same fireworks now.

Found the Youtube video of the fireworks on the Freedom of the Seas. Looks incredible and must have been so cool to see in person. I have no idea how they got approval though because it looks like the classic fire hazard fireworks and they even had land fireworks which are a huge fire hazard. When Disney did them they had to prove they had to battle to overcome 2 things; the fact that fireworks are a fire hazard and the fact that other ships may think it's a distress call.

NCL also has fireworks on it's 2 newest ships, Breakaway and Getaway

WOW

Guess everyday I am realizing times are changing.

This is awesome!!!!

We loved the fire-works when we sailed the Magic, and now more and more people can enjoy the experience.

Thanks for posting.

Sea Ya

The fireworks display was provided and paid for by the organizers of the High Seas Rally. The rally was attended by members of the motorcycle community. Also attending we're guests who require kidney dialysis. The expenses for these people were paid for by the donations of all the bikers that were on the cruise.

Should also be noted that included with the cost paid for by the organizer of The High Seas Rally was the cost of the very expensive liability insurance required for such an activity. Liability coverage is one of the reason that fireworks are generally not done on cruise ships. It's also one of the reasons that Disney rates are high.

Found the Youtube video of the fireworks on the Freedom of the Seas. Looks incredible and must have been so cool to see in person. I have no idea how they got approval though because it looks like the classic fire hazard fireworks and they even had land fireworks which are a huge fire hazard. When Disney did them they had to prove they had to battle to overcome 2 things; the fact that fireworks are a fire hazard and the fact that other ships may think it's a distress call.

The captain of the FOS notified the surrounding ships about our fireworks display so they could inform their passengers allowing them to watch from their ships. As far as a fire hazard you are correct, but the crew of the FOS were out in force with a large contingent of firefighting equiptment.

Should also be noted that included with the cost paid for by the organizer of The High Seas Rally was the cost of the very expensive liability insurance required for such an activity. Liability coverage is one of the reason that fireworks are generally not done on cruise ships. It's also one of the reasons that Disney rates are high.

I would say your right about the Liability Insurance. But the comment about, that's why Disney rates are so high. Disney started Pirate Night FireWorks in the later part of 2010. But they have ALWAYS been expensive. Even before the FireWorks started.

I would say your right about the Liability Insurance. But the comment about, that's why Disney rates are so high. Disney started Pirate Night FireWorks in the later part of 2010. But they have ALWAYS been expensive. Even before the FireWorks started.

Disney has been doing fireworks since the start. They just weren't on the ships. They were set off in Nassau as part of a pier party during a late docking their. That's how it was handled in spring 2001 atleast. I'm sure the insurance costs were lower for that though. Your right about the cost, it's things like the included soda package, free ice cream sundaes, and large rooms that increase their prices.

I've heard that claim before, but I think Disney made it up. Most Royal Caribbean ships have the exact same color yellow lifeboats as Disney. Only the oldest ships have "lifeboat orange". These pictures were both taken on the same morning in Grand Cayman:

8uqehu9y.jpg5y6u3ajy.jpg

I've heard that claim before, but I think Disney made it up. Most Royal Caribbean ships have the exact same color yellow lifeboats as Disney. Only the oldest ships have "lifeboat orange". These pictures were both taken on the same morning in Grand Cayman:

8uqehu9y.jpg5y6u3ajy.jpg

Disney could have pushed for it first and then the USCG could have made yellow an allowable color, I suppose too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app