Hubbard Glacier in May?

NoobCruise

So we're looking at going to Alaska again probably on Celebrity Millenium May 22, 2015. DH prefers May due to work. I'd like to see Hubbard Glacier this time, but am wondering about accessibility in May? I was disappointed with having our Tracy Arm excursion cancelled last minute on our first trip, which sailed Aug 31st, but Glacier Bay made up for it. Is it likely Hubbard will still be iced up the last week of May?

We've been twice in mid May and haven't had any problem getting up pretty close to Hubbard (but this can vary and is just our personal experience). We're getting ready to sail again May 30th and expect the same to hopefully hold true.

We've been twice in mid May and haven't had any problem getting up pretty close to Hubbard (but this can vary and is just our personal experience). We're getting ready to sail again May 30th and expect the same to hopefully hold true.

We sail June 13 this year and was afraid we would not be able to sail near Hubbard from things we have read. I hope your experience holds true this year. This is our first time to Alaska and want to take it all in.

By the way Ashland, I'm Kentucky by way of southern California, living in a county near Ashland. I'm traveling to Alaska with an aunt from southern CA.

We have been there in May when our cruise ship got in very close to the glacier, and we have also been there in May when it stopped miles away and did not get close at all.

In addition to the amount of ice and fog, it can vary according to the wishes and skills of the captain and the features of that particular ship itself, and the time you arrive there.

Each ship scheduled for that day is allotted a certain time slot, so if your ship does not arrive there early enough, it may run out of time for going all the way in.

When there is lots of ice in the water, even on the same day one cruise ship may get in really close to the glacier while another ship stops far back.

If you talk with ship staff members, some claim that certain captains have a reputation for getting their ship in a lot closer than others.

There is always some excuse given if your ship stops far away from the glacier.

(The same for Tracy Arm cruises.)

As passengers, most of us are not knowledgeable enough to know whether or not what we are told is the real reason. ;)

We sail June 13 this year and was afraid we would not be able to sail near Hubbard from things we have read. I hope your experience holds true this year. This is our first time to Alaska and want to take it all in.

By the way Ashland, I'm Kentucky by way of southern California, living in a county near Ashland. I'm traveling to Alaska with an aunt from southern CA.

Have a wonderful time Shaelyn....

BTW: Small world... Love it that we are just the demographic replacements for each other...I knew you were out there ...How you must (hopefully) enjoy living in Kentucky...It will always be home for me.

Our cruise started late May (I suppose it was June by the time we made it up to Hubbard). The day was a little rainy and cold, but we had clear water and got close enough to really enjoy the experience.

7158246315_3cfb21d926_c.jpg

Hubbard Glacier by ikirumata, on Flickr

8772699559_803f75daa0_z.jpg

CalvingHubbard by ikirumata, on Flickr

fwiw, our Tracy Arm excursion was bright and sunny. We took a small boat and got super close to both the glaciers! So its really a crap shoot.

7343522522_a087cf0725.jpg

Sawyer Glacier by ikirumata, on Flickr

I wish you good luck!

There is NO way to predict, HOWEVER, May is MORE likely to have limited access. It doesn't matter what past trips have done in their single trips. On the whole, it's a carp shoot. IF you are going to be disappointed if you don't "get close" (what ever that means) then avoid going in May through early June, to increase your "chances".

I sailed Hubbard in June and got no closer than about 10+++ miles, much much farther away than some previous trips. I also blame some of this on fuel consumption and the ship, overall going slower. (time has to come from somewhere, it's the same 7 days), there wasn't a lot of ice in the water.