suite tipping - leaving envelopes in the room

GUEST080219

As I am from a non-tipping country and this is my first time in a suite I read lots of threads about. So now I have an idea about whom to tip and how much to tip. Just what I did not find so far was how to tip.

I would prefer to do it as unobtrusively as possible so my idea at the moment is to bring three thank you cards with envelopes and leave them the second last evening with the tip in and their names on it on the dining table. Has anyone experience if that would work out as planned, especially if they would be distributed as the concierge will probably not enter the room only the butler and steward?

Most will hand the card to the recipient and give a hearty "thank you" and often a hug. This is the safest way to get your tip to the person you want.

If you want to do it in person, I think the safest way would be to go to the service desk and fill out a tip voucher for your recipient. This will make sure the money gets to the right place. They will give you a receipt you can leave on the table.

As I am from a non-tipping country and this is my first time in a suite I read lots of threads about. So now I have an idea about whom to tip and how much to tip. Just what I did not find so far was how to tip.

I would prefer to do it as unobtrusively as possible so my idea at the moment is to bring three thank you cards with envelopes and leave them the second last evening with the tip in and their names on it on the dining table. Has anyone experience if that would work out as planned, especially if they would be distributed as the concierge will probably not enter the room only the butler and steward?

You could leave that envelope for the room steward in the room. For the Butler and concierge, I would hand them to each individual. I asked the Butler to bring me some cookies the last day, so I could give him his tip and saw the Concierge during disembarkation. I know that sometimes it is uncomfortable, but if you hand deliver it to the Butler and Concierge, you will know that they got your thank you for their services.

If you leave your auto tips intact then you're done and don't have any worries.

Sorry, you are incorrect. They are not included in the DSC and would need to be tipped separately.

I saw a typo in my first response. I meant "f you DON'T want to do it in perso"

I gave the steward, butler, and concierge each a thank you card with their tips in it and included a handwritten note letting them how much I appreciated what they did for us. I gave it to them on the final morning but almost didn't find our butler but managed to see him coming down the hall and got it to him. Had I not been able to find him I was going to take it to the front desk and have them get it to him.

Next time I'll give it to them the day before so that I won't have to worry about trying to find them.

Thanks. I did not know about putting the money directly to their account at guest services. Sounds like a good idea.

I prefer to thank them directly when they do something for me and hope I will find a minute or two for a quick chat where I can tell how much I appreciate their service. But I would still prefer to separate the money thing from that and avoid doing it in person.

Just personal preference.

I was told by 2 different NCL agents/salesmen that the butler and concierge ARE included in the tip pool on the POA. I told them about what I have read a few times on these boards and they said that one ship is different, being an American ship??!!! Any thoughts?

I was told by 2 different NCL agents/salesmen that the butler and concierge ARE included in the tip pool on the POA. I told them about what I have read a few times on these boards and they said that one ship is different, being an American ship??!!! Any thoughts?

The real difference all the employes on POA are paid a living wage and subject to US labor laws including gretting overtime pay.

Edited by time2cruise1

Also Japan.

In Europe the service charge is usually included on the bill, so only a nominal amount is left as a tip at the table, and only if service has been exceptional. It's not expected, but appreciated.:)

OP, putting the tips on your account ensures it goes to the person you want it to go to. You just have to know their name. This also means you don't have to worry about having the right amount of cash.

I include the little slip in a thank you card, so they know how much and can make sure their accounts are correct. I'm sure if you left envelops in the room with their names on them the steward or butler would make sure they got to the right people. I understand the reluctance to give them in person, but I find giving a thank you card a bit more comfortable than a pile of cash, and it allows me to express my thanks. The one group I hadn't actually considered extra tips for on our first suite sailing was the wait team in the suite restaurant. These guys totally made our trip an absolute delight during breakfast and lunch. Had a far greater impact than the concierge.

Most will hand the card to the recipient and give a hearty "thank you" and often a hug. This is the safest way to get your tip to the person you want.

If you want to do it in person, I think the safest way would be to go to the service desk and fill out a tip voucher for your recipient. This will make sure the money gets to the right place. They will give you a receipt you can leave on the table.

Does this mean you can just add the tips to your account and not have to pay cash?! I definitely want to tip our butler and concierge but were not looking forward to having to carry extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile ap

Does this mean you can just add the tips to your account and not have to pay cash?! I definitely want to tip our butler and concierge but were not looking forward to having to carry extra cash.

That is exactly what you can do. Just go to the desk and they will give you the forms. I also just put the receipt in the card so they know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is exactly what you can do. Just go to the desk and they will give you the forms. I also just put the receipt in the card so they know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awesome thanks!!