Toddler Area/Splash Pad on Getaway

tray98

I asked about the splash area and diapers on breakaway/getaway they are the only vessels in the fleet with the splash area. There was a PHS inspector onboard in port canaveral this past Tuesday. Checking the inspection reports in the next week or so would probably answer the questions about the splash area. The splash area was also drained and cleaned each night rather than the net put over the main pool and adult pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the difference with letting a kid in a pool with a diaper and letting a kid in a splash area with a diaper? Both ways the diaper will be wet and leak, right? Instead of sitting in. Body of water with a diapered kid, you are standing in it.

Pools that are DESIGNED and BUILT to be used by children in diapers are different than other pools onboard. They have different filtering and chlorination requirements, and require UV sterilization of the water. As I've said, USPH requires a supply of swim diapers be available, and an attendant be present at all times. The sterilization requirement is the key item there, and the "turn-over" rate (the number of times per hour the water is filtered/sterilized is higher than other pools. The attendants are there to ensure, among other things, that the kids are taken out routinely for potty breaks by their parents.

I asked about the splash area and diapers on breakaway/getaway they are the only vessels in the fleet with the splash area. There was a PHS inspector onboard in port canaveral this past Tuesday. Checking the inspection reports in the next week or so would probably answer the questions about the splash area. The splash area was also drained and cleaned each night rather than the net put over the main pool and adult pool.

The Epic had a splash area for kids too. :)

ncl_Epic_Public_Kids_WatrPark_web.jpg

As for the splash area on the Getaway, there are tons of pictures on the internet that show what the area looks like. It looks like a pretty big area and lots of water. Even if this water is only 6" or so, most "toddlers" will still tumble and fall or sit in the water, therefore recirculating anything from their diaper to others in the water doing the same thing. :confused:

1280x1024-nclBrkwyKidsPool.jpg

Kids-Pool-Medium.jpg

I have to mention that EVERY cruise I have been on there have been toddlers in the kiddie pools, splash areas and even in the family pools with their parents WITH diapers on even though they are not allowed. I have watched NCL not enforce this rule over and over. They will have staff standing right there by the water and obviously looking at the child and they say absolutely nothing. If they are going to make this rule, they need to enforce it for everyone's health safety.

The Epic had a splash area for kids too. :)Since Sparky has asked, and confirmed what I thought might be the case, it must be that the NCL website has not been updated to include the data that the BA/GA have infant pools. Just because there is a "children's splash area", does not mean that kids in diapers are allowed, unless there is a sign present saying so.

As for the splash area on the Getaway, there are tons of pictures on the internet that show what the area looks like. It looks like a pretty big area and lots of water. Even if this water is only 6" or so, most "toddlers" will still tumble and fall or sit in the water, therefore recirculating anything from their diaper to others in the water doing the same thing. :confused:As I stated above, the "turn-over" rate for what the USPH calls a "baby only" water facility is greater than normal pools, so the water is filtered, chlorinated, and sterilized more frequently than normal pools, and the addition of the UV sterilizer adds the required safety for "accidents". Since accidents are likely to be more frequent in a baby only pool, this is why an attendant is required at all times, to close down the pool as soon as an accident happens.

I have to mention that EVERY cruise I have been on there have been toddlers in the kiddie pools, splash areas and even in the family pools with their parents WITH diapers on even though they are not allowed. I have watched NCL not enforce this rule over and over. They will have staff standing right there by the water and obviously looking at the child and they say absolutely nothing. If they are going to make this rule, they need to enforce it for everyone's health safety.Unfortunately, this is true for most of the cruise lines. The cruise lines don't make these rules, they are required by the USPH, and the lines don't like to risk annoying the guests by making them take their children out of the pool where they are not allowed. I am somewhat surprised at this attitude, as all it takes is one camera phone pix sent to USPH showing a kid in diapers in a pool to trigger a USPH inspection, and if the incident is not logged in the ship's pool record, that would be a major point deduction on the inspection score. Similarly, how many have seen the signs that say you should shower before entering the pool? This is also a USPH requirement, and no cruise line enforces this, either, yet sunscreen and body oil is a major problem with maintaining pool chemistry required by USPH as well.

It's a lot like other rules the companies make, enforcement is spotty at best, and when the company doesn't make the unpopular rule, but must enforce it, enforcement is even worse.

• 1 year later...
THANK YOU!! I saw a photo of that little slide and thought it would be perfect for him and was disappointed as I thought he wasn't able to go there. Thanks, I feel so much better now. I am travelling with my 6 yr old son as well and there is no way we could sit by the pool with the 2 yr old and have him only 'watch' his brother play in the pool or splash pad.

can someone please re-confirm this ?

We are going on Oct 03/2015 and I've just called NCL to confrim if my 2 years old son would be able to go to the splash pad area, she said no. So now I'm confuse weather or not my son would have any water activities. If any one had travel with a 2 years old with swim diapers recently can you please re confrim if they are allowed in the splash area? I know he's not allow to be in pool if he's not potty trained by then. We've been trainning him hopefully he will be trained by then !!

can someone please re-confirm this ?

We are going on Oct 03/2015 and I've just called NCL to confrim if my 2 years old son would be able to go to the splash pad area, she said no. So now I'm confuse weather or not my son would have any water activities. If any one had travel with a 2 years old with swim diapers recently can you please re confrim if they are allowed in the splash area? I know he's not allow to be in pool if he's not potty trained by then. We've been trainning him hopefully he will be trained by then !!

Going on the Breakaway this sunday with a 20 month old who is not potty trained. If you don't get an answer before I get back PM me or I might end up doing a toddler based review and will add that info in. I know I will forget to come back and update on this thread.

For what it's worth wheb researching ships, I found out only Disney ships and 5 RCI ships allow non potty trained kids in the splash zones. It would be great if this also applies to the new NCL ships. I'm a rule follower especially when dealing with health and safety concerns so I will definitely follow the posted rules and ask as well.

We expect our son will not be allowed and have a contingency plan, which is to be in along a small inflatable tub and fill it with water from the shower and let him splash a bit in there with a swim diaper on. We will drain it either in the shower or any other drain recommended by an NCL employee.

Going on the Breakaway this sunday with a 20 month old who is not potty trained. If you don't get an answer before I get back PM me or I might end up doing a toddler based review and will add that info in. I know I will forget to come back and update on this thread.

For what it's worth wheb researching ships, I found out only Disney ships and 5 RCI ships allow non potty trained kids in the splash zones. It would be great if this also applies to the new NCL ships. I'm a rule follower especially when dealing with health and safety concerns so I will definitely follow the posted rules and ask as well.

We expect our son will not be allowed and have a contingency plan, which is to be in along a small inflatable tub and fill it with water from the shower and let him splash a bit in there with a swim diaper on. We will drain it either in the shower or any other drain recommended by an NCL employee.

thanks for the response !! I've added you as a friend so I can PM you. YES ! please do find out, I'm just confuse, and yet I'm a rule follower too as I would hate to have someone to tell me in front of every one else that I'm doing something wrong. But I was just confuse as to the splash area from this thread. I want him to have some fun as well in water of course. but we are trying very hard to potty train him early so he can have some fun too. Thanks again !

Um, they don't drain the main/adult pools each night and refill with CLEAN water? Gross.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

Um, they don't drain the main/adult pools each night and refill with CLEAN water? Gross.

Most pools aren't drained unless there is an issue. They just test it, fill it as necessary and add the necessary chemicals to restore the balance. I don't believe most pools are hyper-chlorinated like on cruise ships.

To the best of my knowledge, swim diapers are not allowed anywhere on any NCL ship. Regardless of whether the area is a "pool" or a "splash area", unless there is a sign explicitly stating that swim diapers are allowed, then they are not. The fact that there is not a sign saying "no swim diapers" near the splash area does not mean that non-potty trained kids are allowed. "Infant only recreational water facilities" as the USPH refers to them, must have a separate water system from all other pools, must have a higher turn-over rate of filtration, must have a UV sterilizer for the water, and must have a crewmember posted at the splash area full time, and have a supply of swim diapers available. If you don't see a crewmember watching the splash area, or there is not a stand for diapers and a disposal container, that will be your clue that it is not an infant only pool.

Never, never trust what a phone agent of a cruise line tells you.

No, and your public pool at home doesn't either. Most municipalities only drain a pool when the chemistry gets completely out of whack, and even then it is generally a partial refill. They sometimes go a year or more without draining. The pools on the ships get drained once or twice a week, depending on itinerary. The hot tubs will be drained and cleaned nightly.

Most pools aren't drained unless there is an issue. They just test it, fill it as necessary and add the necessary chemicals to restore the balance. I don't believe most pools are hyper-chlorinated like on cruise ships.

Quite true. Ship pools are kept at 2-4ppm chlorine, much higher than municipal pools, which leads to many complaints about the chlorine level. Hot tubs are kept at 8-10ppm, which really leads to a lot of complaints, especially about faded and frayed swimwear if you've been in the tub all day. Ship pool chemistry is much simpler than shore pools, since they are drained on a regular basis.

You are correct as to the number of ships with infant only splash areas, they are all Disney ships, the Freedom class and Oasis class RCI ships.

Infant only pools are a relatively new design for USPH regulations, and they require a significant capital investment in equipment and in crew hours, so NCL has not gone this route. Breakaway class, and I'll bet the Breakaway Plus class will not have these pools. Sorry.

I guess I just figured with so many people in them each day, plus sweat, plus sunscreen, plus whatever else gets in there, they would do it nightly.

We have a pool and no, we don't empty it daily during the summer, but there is only 3-5 people in it a few times a week (if it's warm enough!).

I guess I just figured with so many people in them each day, plus sweat, plus sunscreen, plus whatever else gets in there, they would do it nightly.

We have a pool and no, we don't empty it daily during the summer, but there is only 3-5 people in it a few times a week (if it's warm enough!).

No pools are drained nightly and refilled. They are chemically treated to meet government standards.

For the person that restarted this thread from last year, if you read through all of the posts you should see that it is not allowed. Bring your own inflatable splash pool if you need it. No swim diapers on any NCL ship.

You are correct as to the number of ships with infant only splash areas, they are all Disney ships, the Freedom class and Oasis class RCI ships.

Infant only pools are a relatively new design for USPH regulations, and they require a significant capital investment in equipment and in crew hours, so NCL has not gone this route. Breakaway class, and I'll bet the Breakaway Plus class will not have these pools. Sorry.

There is a small pool with a small slide in the corner in the jade that is apparently for infants. There were toddlers using it with diapers on. It's behind glass doors.

There is a small pool with a small slide in the corner in the jade that is apparently for infants. There were toddlers using it with diapers on. It's behind glass doors.

Just because there were toddlers in diapers in the pool, doesn't mean that it is a pool that allows swim diapers. As I said in previous posts (last year in this thread), enforcement is spotty. I know for a fact that the Jade does not have an infant pool.

I'll reiterate. Just because there are kids in diapers in the pool doesn't mean they are supposed to be there. Just because there is no sign about no swim diapers near, doesn't mean it is an infant pool. The only true signals that infants can swim in a pool area are: a sign specifically allowing it, a crewmember stationed there, and a cabinet marked as the supply of swim diapers and disposal container. Without those, the pool is not considered safe for infants/toddlers in diapers, and anyone in the pool with a child in diapers is at risk.

Just because there were toddlers in diapers in the pool, doesn't mean that it is a pool that allows swim diapers. As I said in previous posts (last year in this thread), enforcement is spotty. I know for a fact that the Jade does not have an infant pool.

I'll reiterate. Just because there are kids in diapers in the pool doesn't mean they are supposed to be there. Just because there is no sign about no swim diapers near, doesn't mean it is an infant pool. The only true signals that infants can swim in a pool area are: a sign specifically allowing it, a crewmember stationed there, and a cabinet marked as the supply of swim diapers and disposal container. Without those, the pool is not considered safe for infants/toddlers in diapers, and anyone in the pool with a child in diapers is at risk.

Apparently they do allow it because nobody said anything to them. Oh, sorry your information might be outdated because there certainly was one on the jade few weeks ago.

Apparently they do allow it because nobody said anything to them. Oh, sorry your information might be outdated because there certainly was one on the jade few weeks ago.

The Jade absolutely DOES NOT have an infant pool for diapered children. The ship can and will be cited on their USPH inspection for allowing diapered children in the pool.

It is a cruise ship. What is supposed to happen and what actually happens are often two different things.

The Jade absolutely DOES NOT have an infant pool for diapered children. The ship can and will be cited on their USPH inspection for allowing diapered children in the pool.

Do you think the U.S. Is going to fly to Europe to cite them? The world is a much bigger place than just the USA you know.

And yes there is a small enclosed pool on the jade for them.

Do you think the U.S. Is going to fly to Europe to cite them? The world is a much bigger place than just the USA you know.

And yes there is a small enclosed pool on the jade for them.

Since the Vessel Sanitation Program is holding a meeting in the near future in France and the Jade will return to Houston in October and vessels even ones that sail outside of the U.S. anticipate 2 inspections a year, it is possible that the ship may be inspected outside of US waters. Also, any incidents related to the pool and diaper aged children must be logged and that log is reviewed during the next inspection.

There are numerous requirements for an infant pool onboard a cruise ship which the little enclosed pool on the Jade does not meet. The only ship in NCL's fleet that might have an infant pool is the escape with the expanded nursery program for 6 months to 3 years

Not only can the ship be cited, but I would think that the parents should be made aware of the consequences if theirs or another child has an accident in the pool, which could make their child or other children sick.

Not only can the ship be cited, but I would think that the parents should be made aware of the consequences if theirs or another child has an accident in the pool, which could make their child or other children sick.

Apparently bathe cruise line don't care because they allow it. Besides, there is probably more urine in those crowded adult pools than there will ever be in the kiddie pool.

Apparently bathe cruise line don't care because they allow it. Besides, there is probably more urine in those crowded adult pools than there will ever be in the kiddie pool.

They don't stop the chair hogs, either, but that doesn't make it right. Urine isn't the problem, fecal matter is. Even minute quantities can make people very sick, especially very young children. On our first cruise, on the Jewel, my 7 year oldswanted to go into the kiddie pool, similar to the one on the Jade. Even though there was a sign stating that swim diapers were not allowed, selfish parents had their diapered kids in there. There was no way I'd let my kids in that pool.