In Rome for 3 days, metro pass?

Ex-Airbalancer

Depending on where you are staying, walk.

Rome historic area is fairly compact…..and best enjoyed by walking !

Many of the historic and special places are pedestrian only anyway.

If you need to get a further distance in a short amount of time, find the nearest taxi stand and just hop in a taxi. The cost is reasonable since the distance is short…..

Our favorite pastime is strolling….. sometimes there is a plan - Point A to Point B etc…. but one of the best things to do is stroll…. like the locals do every evening. I love turning a corner and finding a new piazza with a cool fountain or obelisk… or a charming fountain on a wall with clean fresh water (very drinkable) trickling from it. Or the neat street with the dusty antique stores, one filled with only old frames.

OK, you get my point….. but I guarantee you miss a lot unless you walk around. Our last trip (our 4th) we found a wonderful ruin UNDERNEATH a modern building incased in glass…… just my 2 cents worth - Enjoy Rome !

Unless you really think you'll be riding the metro a lot, it may be best to just pay for your ticket as you need it. A single ride cost 1.50 euro and covers enough ground to get you all the way to Ostia Antica. There's also the option to get an all-day transit pass for 6 euro.

What do you have planned for your trip?

I think you'll find you don't use mass transit enough to justify the cost, but to answer your question, here are the relevant transit tickets in Rome:

BIT (Euro 1,50) 100 minutes

BIG (Euro 6,00) all day (ends at midnight, regardless of when activated)

BTI (Euro 16,50) valid for three days, ends at midnight of the third day.

Mark, the metro is basically just a big X, two lines, and not very convenient to most of the places you'll want to go. Buses are better, but from your new place you probably will just want to walk. When we stayed near Termini, we took buses to the Centro Storico, but you'll be able to walk to the Pantheon in 15 minutes or so.

Do you have certain places you want to see? The Vatican would be a hike, maybe 45 minutes, and if you were going to the Galleria Borghese it's probably too far to walk, but everything else is pretty close and lots to see along the way.

I think you'll find you don't use mass transit enough to justify the cost, but to answer your question, here are the relevant transit tickets in Rome:

Thank you

I was leery of using local transport (buses or metro) as warnings of the pickpockets was impressed upon us prior to our 21 day trip.

I purchased HO/HO passes figuring pickpockets wouldn't be so likely to pay for the tour (and we had no problems with pickpockets). And wouldn't be allowed on the bus if they hadn't purchased a ticket. Metro & regular bus lines are honor system, if you get caught without a ticket it's a huge fine, but it's easy to board a bus at one stop and get back off at the next without ever having a ticket.

We would take a taxi from our hotel (approx 10 blocks from the Vatican) to St. Peter's Square and catch the HO/HO there, travel to the stops we wanted to see, walk a little bit and catch the next bus. Using this method, we saw the Northern Section on Day 1 and the Southern Section on Day 2. They were long days, we left our hotel approx 8:00 am and returned to the hotel around 6:00 pm.

I think there are 4 different HO/HO companies operating in Rome and we loved the people watching from the upper deck, even sitting in traffic a couple of times was entertaining.

One word of caution regarding taxi's. We traveled by taxi about 4 times from our hotel to Vatican/and back to the hotel. The cost of the taxi was never the same price. Different time of day and having the hotel call a taxi were two causes we were given for the price difference. The hotel and Vatican never changed location, but the cost varied from 9 EUR to 11 EUR per trip.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do!

Doing some research before your trip can greatly lessen surprises.

You can read about the taxi pricing in this publication from the city of Rome (page two is in English). There are several factors that will impact the cost of a metered taxi ride and which could cause a variation in fare for the exact same ride.

Rome taxi info: https://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

We bought a three day pass last year, 16.50 euros. We used it on the buses more than the metro, as it gave great views of Rome as we travelled around. Bus 66 went to many of the main attractions - however, it is known as the 'pick pocket express.' We had no problems though, but did take precautions, not taking too much out with us and I kept my zip up handbag secured with a safety pin as well! It was easy to figure out which bus to catch where and was good fun.

Another alternative is that you can hire bikes on the street and travel around. My son found these great - not something I would personally contemplate.

Have a great time!

Edited by HMWCambridge

We bought the 3 day pass and used it more on various busses than on the metro. The busses connect inside the center and get you closer to the attractions. I thought the 3 day pass was absolutely worth it !

Edited by odysee

Sometimes I've purchased multi-day passes just for the ease of not having to worry about having a ticket when I need one, or finding a place to buy one when I need one. However, in my experience I almost never use four different buses, trams, or metros in one day so it doesn't make economic sense.

Sometimes I've purchased multi-day passes just for the ease of not having to worry about having a ticket when I need one, or finding a place to buy one when I need one. However, in my experience I almost never use four different buses, trams, or metros in one day so it doesn't make economic sense.

I'm reminded by several posts here in the last couple of days that not everyone walks as much as we seem to in the city.

I'm reminded by several posts here in the last couple of days that not everyone walks as much as we seem to in the city.

You are correct, for some of us walking great distances (or even small distances) is no longer an option. In 1989, my husband and I did do quite a bit of walking, but upon my return in 2008, my friend and I both had limited mobility. Scooters work great here in the States, but I wouldn't bother with one in Europe with the cobblestones etc., therefore need to rely on tours, HO/HO buses, taxies, etc. Someone did post that there was a golf cart tour, wish I had read about that before we went, really sounds like a good idea. The only unusual thing offered was a Segway tour and I don't think I could handle that contraption either. But I fear my traveling days are at an end. The hassles at the airport, hefting luggage, mobility issues are just insurmountable. So enjoy your travels while you can!

Don't give up yet! My aunt uses a travel scooter and I've been amazed at how well she gets around, and where. We've been all over Europe now with that thing, on cobblestones, on a river boat, etc. and it has made a huge difference for her. She rides it right down the jetway to the plane and gate checks it, then gets it back at the jetway when we arrive.

We used the golf cart tour while on our most recent trip (Oct 2013) with my mother in law who mostly uses a wheelchair. It was fantastic. They can go where regular cars etc cannot…..and got us up close to even the crowded areas…. i.e. Trevi fountain. It is not cheap but worth the money if you can't walk.

We also had a travel wheelchair and for the most part got all over with it. Some of the cobbles were a bit hairy for her…..but we managed.

IF you can walk, it truly is the best way to "soak up" Rome !

Another option to consider is the Roma Pass which is 34 euros for three full days and includes a three day transport pass. It may be worth looking at the sites it covers and see if it is worth buying. I'm off to Rome on Sunday for a three night stay and have worked out that it will be my best option. You get free entrance to your first two sites listed and then a discount on the rest.

Another option to consider is the Roma Pass which is 34 euros for three full days and includes a three day transport pass. It may be worth looking at the sites it covers and see if it is worth buying. I'm off to Rome on Sunday for a three night stay and have worked out that it will be my best option. You get free entrance to your first two sites listed and then a discount on the rest.

Enjoy your trip. I hope you'll report on how your Rome plans worked out when you get back!