Flying to Miami, cruise from Fort Lauderdale

cruz chic

Trying to plan down the road here. Westjet has a direct flight from Calgary to Miami on certain days. I was thinking I would fly into Miami, stay overnight then go to Fort Lauderdale the next day. I would then leave the following day for my cruise. Can anyone give me suggestions for transfers between Miami and Fort Lauderdale? I'm not interested in driving and cost isn't a huge factor. I want to get the opinion of Hal cruisers. That's why I'm asking here. Thx.

You could look into hiring a car. My last cruise ended in Miami, but I found it more convenient to fly home out of FLL, so I went in a car hired by the couple I was with. I don't recall how much it cost, but I do know we had to hire a large van for the three of us because of the luggage, and some mobility equipment. That took up a lot of space. A sedan should cost less.

The ride was maybe an hour, or a bit less.

I used execucar in LA recently to get to the port in LA and that was around $75. I really liked them. It looks like they operate out of Miami. I'm just a bit worried that it might be $200 plus. That a bit more then I want to pay. Thx for the suggestion.

Edited by cruz chic

I used execucar in LA recently to get to the port in LA and that was around $75. I really liked them. It looks like they operate out of Miami. I'm just a bit worried that it might be $200 plus. That a bit more then I want to pay. Thx for the suggestion.

Some people on our roll call are going from Miami port to FLL and using

Quality Limo Service. The cost is $90 which includes a $15 gratuity.

http://www.qualitylimoservice.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

I haven't used them but you might want to check them out.

CJ

Supershuttle is the way to go. Check out their website. I use them all the time. The company now is coast to coast and probably in Canada also. i have used them for many years with absolutely no problems.:)

We just used J R Shuttle and found them to be very good. I'd use them again. There should be no shortage of options for you, since FLL to MIA and vice versa is a popular trip. You'll want a dedicated car or van so that you aren't making extra stops. A reputable firm will be able to quote the full price in advance.

I've done transfers a few times between the two ports and there are many options. A few years ago, and having several hours to work with I took Tri-Rail. I've taken taxis, airport suttle buses offered by the cruise line, vans, and limos. Depending on the day you are cruising, the bellman at your hotel might have a "favorite" driver. Once I paid as little as $30. Of course that wasn't a Saturday or Sunday!

David

We flew down a day before the cruise and rented a car in Miami returned it to the Fort Lauderdale airport. They have a free shuttle to the ship. Did the same in reverse when the cruise was over. About the same price as a cab, but we were able to kill some time driving around South Beach and Coral Gables before returning to the Miami airport. Just got home.

I was thinking I would fly into Miami, stay overnight then go to Fort Lauderdale the next day. I would then leave the following day for my cruise.
What I would do, actually, is to fly to Miami, transfer to Fort Lauderdale and stay there for the night, and then it's a quick and easy transfer (with lots of options) to Port Everglades the next morning.

We've often done this, given that there aren't any flights from the UK to Fort Lauderdale.

If you look on the Florida departures forum, as PatriciaF suggests, you'll see lots of suggestions for transfers. I've used SuperShuttle in the past, as a Fort Lauderdale hotel strongly suggested; more recently I've also used Larry's Limo more than once.

If you rent a car, at Miami International Airport, you can drive directly to Port Everglades and drop the car off there at the rental car's office. It's only a very short distance to the ship from any of the rental car offices. They all have continuous shuttle service to the ship. Ft. Lauderdale airport is quite a way from the port and there is also traffic to consider. Also consider, depending on what time of day, that I-95 from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, becomes a parking lot. Also, if you are not from the US, that drive is not the most safe drive. Too many crazy people behind the wheel. Just take your time and be very careful on I-95. :)

If you rent a car, at Miami International Airport, you can drive directly to Port Everglades and drop the car off there at the rental car's office. It's only a very short distance to the ship from any of the rental car offices. They all have continuous shuttle service to the ship. Ft. Lauderdale airport is quite a way from the port and there is also traffic to consider.
Are you sure you're thinking of Fort Lauderdale and Port Everglades? The airport couldn't be closer to the port - see this Google map.

And as I understand it, there are no rental car offices at the port anymore - you have to go to the airport.

Whatever the position, fortunately the OP says:-

I'm not interested in driving ...

What I would do, actually, is to fly to Miami, transfer to Fort Lauderdale and stay there for the night, and then it's a quick and easy transfer (with lots of options) to Port Everglades the next morning.

We've often done this, given that there aren't any flights from the UK to Fort Lauderdale.

If you look on the Florida departures forum, as PatriciaF suggests, you'll see lots of suggestions for transfers. I've used SuperShuttle in the past, as a Fort Lauderdale hotel strongly suggested; more recently I've also used Larry's Limo more than once.

Thx for the information. I will consider that. The reason I asked here was because I wanted to get the opinion of HAL folks as I mentioned in my initial post. I had taken a look at the other boards first but I was seeking other opinions.

If you rent a car, at Miami International Airport, you can drive directly to Port Everglades and drop the car off there at the rental car's office. It's only a very short distance to the ship from any of the rental car offices. They all have continuous shuttle service to the ship. Ft. Lauderdale airport is quite a way from the port and there is also traffic to consider. Also consider, depending on what time of day, that I-95 from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, becomes a parking lot. Also, if you are not from the US, that drive is not the most safe drive. Too many crazy people behind the wheel. Just take your time and be very careful on I-95. :)

I don't like to drive in Calgary, so I'm not interested in driving in Miami. I know some folks are ok with this. For me it's a nightmare to drive in a strange place.

Are you sure you're thinking of Fort Lauderdale and Port Everglades? The airport couldn't be closer to the port - see this Google map.

And as I understand it, there are no rental car offices at the port anymore - you have to go to the airport.

Whatever the position, fortunately the OP says:-

Most of the car rental companies have offices at Port Everglades. Below is one of them:

http://locations.budget.com/fl/ft-lauderdale/ev3.html

Most of the car rental companies have offices at Port Everglades. Below is one of them:

http://locations.budget.com/fl/ft-lauderdale/ev3.html

They're near the port, not in the port. The Budget location you posted is about 3 miles from the HAL terminals. (19 & 26) The Budget location is out near the Harbor Shops which is where Publix, Total Wine & The Embassy Suites are.

Edited by POA1

If you decide to make the drive, Avis has an outlet at the Hyatt Pier 66 which is where we drop our rentals. They have a shuttle to the port and you avoid the airport surcharges, plus it's a lot easier to navigate. In fact, we drop our luggage at the pier, then take the car back, then the shuttle. No heavy lifting of bags! Easy-peasy!

Just a thought...

Edited by Skipper's Mom