CB delay cb delay and 100% refund and 25% credit on another cruise

chipmaster

The Carnival Magic is just now pulling away from the dock. (2:30)

Doug

Don't get too excited, we think they are moving out of the way so that the Triumph can disembark passengers. The Triumph is at a commercial pier right now.

KHOU is reporting that it could be as late as Wednesday before the port is open.

Tucker in Texas

The Carnival Magic is just now pulling away from the dock. (2:30)

Doug

The Carnival Magic was changing piers with the Canrnival ship that arrived today so the new arrival can disembark their pax. Both Carnival ships and the RCCL ship are still in port for now. (4:00 pm)

Princess has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

While what they offer may be fair, the reduction is a freakin' PR faux pas.

I'm on the CB, last night I was astounded by a generous offer in reply to what was totally beyond their control.

Today I'm given one hour to decide between 125% or 50%. Since I flew into Houston

I would have to get an hotel room and pay a$400 airline change fee.

This gives me a bad taste. At least the ship will be less crowded.

What's the difference in today or yesterday, either way you would have to get a hotel and change your flights. If they would have given you 50% yesterday would you have gotten off? Princess is not the one that wrecked into the barge and made the oil spill. They have no control over when the port will open and I'm sure they are getting very limited information. Did you buy insurance? If so, you would be able to get your money back if not shame on you.

Not the point.

Let's take it out of Princess's hands for a second. You are at a hotel today. Construction outside to fix a mega pothole on a highway overnight means excessive noise and they cannot move your room. So, the hotel says that they will not charge you for your 5 night stay because the roadwork is expected to last 4 nights. Or you can be moved to a different hotel that is less convenient for your plans and pay the same rate you would have. .You decide to stay and deal with the noise.

Now, 2 nights later, the construction ends early and the hotel says you now have to pay for the remaining nights. Are they within their rights to do so? Yes. Will it leave a bad taste in your mouth? Yes.

In the first scenario, you and the hotel split the risk. If the construction got done early, you came out ahead. If it didn't the hotel still made you happy and possibly still got restaurant, parking, room service revenues, etc. But then, when the circumstances changed, the hotel breached their side of an agreement.

Technically, the compensation letter is an addendum to the cruise contract (legally, there are other terms that make it moot, just pointing out it was an official offer of compensation by Princess, and by not disembarking, people chose to 'accept' the modified contract)

That's the reason people have a right to be upset, not the amount of either offer itself.

What's the difference in today or yesterday, either way you would have to get a hotel and change your flights. If they would have given you 50% yesterday would you have gotten off? Princess is not the one that wrecked into the barge and made the oil spill. They have no control over when the port will open and I'm sure they are getting very limited information. Did you buy insurance? If so, you would be able to get your money back if not shame on you.

What's the difference in today or yesterday, either way you would have to get a hotel and change your flights.
The difference is in the communication. Passengers were told one thing, which was very generous, and all applauded. Twenty-four hours later, it was changed. THAT is the difference. I think if it had been clear from the beginning that if those who wished to stay on the ship would get a future cruise credit and those who wished to disembark would get a refund and credit, all would be well. The problem is that the offer changed drastically.

Honestly, I think the offer was MOST generous...we got screwed with Hurricane Ike and got NOTHING except added expenses of trying to fly same day rates from New Orleans to where we lived with NO consideration at all from Carnival (and yes, I KNOW they own Princess) so I think what they did was MOST generous given delays/issues they were TOTALLY not responsible for.

I'm on the CB, last night I was astounded by a generous offer in reply to what was totally beyond their control.

Today I'm given one hour to decide between 125% or 50%. Since I flew into Houston

If I were on board I imagine I would be most annoyed as well. However, Princess is trying to offer compensation. Yes, the giving and the taking away part is bad business on their part but we all expect cruise lines to compensate us for any delays. Even though this was in no way Princess's fault. What I don't understand is why you are not irate over the airlines wanting to charge you $400 for a few key strokes to change your already fully paid for flight when the need to change is caused by the self same oil spill. IMHO, we expect too much from the cruise lines and take way too much crap off the airlines. Just an observation.

The point is that yesterday's offer was a full refund and a 25%fcc in any case! get off or stay on. Very generous, in fact maybe too generous. Today it was 50% if you stay 125%

if you leave in two hours. If the current offer had been made yesterday it would have been

more generous than required.

Oops, more communication. Found more oil, port will be closed until at least tomorrow.

Official communication from Santa Clarita expected in an hour maybe.

I'm here for the duration anyway.

Nicely said, Jim Avery. I completely agree.

I think if Princess had waited on offering anything until they knew absolutely everything, everyone would be up in arms over lack of communication, so they can't win.

Should they have said, "we may have to change this if circumstances change?" Yes, but a small mistake relatively speaking, in my opinion..

If you make a huge decision like that based purely on the money, than I understand your frustration while not understanding the motivation. But if money is that critical in your decision making, then insurance should also be a priority for you for all your trips. Weather and accidents happen and we're all bummed when it does. The crew are not happy, corporate, travelers, residents needing the goods brought into that port, people having customers waiting for goods leaving that port, also unhappy. Lots of people terribly inconvenienced when a port is shut down unexpectedly due to a mistake.

Actually Galveston is one of the most expensive ports to cruise from...It's always cheaper from Florida.

Doug

Not always, but most peak season departures. We watch the prices close. It's a quick drive for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I should come get ya. We live 15 min away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I were on board I imagine I would be most annoyed as well. However, Princess is trying to offer compensation. Yes, the giving and the taking away part is bad business on their part but we all expect cruise lines to compensate us for any delays. Even though this was in no way Princess's fault.

I wouldn't say that "we all" expect cruise lines to compensate us for any delays.

Some people expect compensation every time they are wronged in life. Others understand that some things, however unfortunate, are sometimes out of our control and that compensation is not always a mandatory thing.

I think the one thing that "we all" would/should expect is that a compensation offer delivered in writing should be honored...

Both offers are very generous, so kudos to Princess for that. But people made some pretty significant decisions based on the first offer received, so I definitely do not think it was right for Princess to go back on their word like they did.

I'm sure Princess will work this out.

I wouldn't say that "we all" expect cruise lines to compensate us for any delays.

Some people expect compensation every time they are wronged in life. Others understand that some things, however unfortunate, are sometimes out of our control and that compensation is not always a mandatory thing.

I think the one thing that "we all" would/should expect is that a compensation offer delivered in writing should be honored...

Both offers are very generous, so kudos to Princess for that. But people made some pretty significant decisions based on the first offer received, so I definitely do not think it was right for Princess to go back on their word like they did.

I'm sure Princess will work this out.

I am sure they will work it out too. I probably could have made it clearer but I was not trying to malign anyone for taking compensation. I am actually a bit amazed that they offered such good compensation when they were not at fault. My point was to try and say airlines would have told everyone to go eat a worm.:eek: Cruise lines, for the most part, take very good care of their passengers and are usually very fair over delays, breakdowns, etc. Carnival Triumph not withstanding.:eek:

The point is that yesterday's offer was a full refund and a 25%fcc in any case! get off or stay on. Very generous, in fact maybe too generous. Today it was 50% if you stay 125%

if you leave in two hours. If the current offer had been made yesterday it would have been

more generous than required.

Oops, more communication. Found more oil, port will be closed until at least tomorrow.

Official communication from Santa Clarita expected in an hour maybe.

I'm here for the duration anyway.

It was my understanding the offer made yesterday was with the assumption the ship could leave for a shortened cruise today and if someone agreed to short cruise, they would get 50% off and 25% of a future cruise. The 100% off would be if people chose to disembark today.

I'm not sure why people are complaining, if you stay on the ship you're eating using all services etc so why shouldn't you have to pay?? Get real people - you want to stay on the ship for free plus get a huge discount on another cruise????

I really don't know what everyone is complaining about?? Princess has no control over this - they get different information constantly from the port authority and CG. If you agree to stay on the ship to wait and see what happens, then you should pay regardless - your choice!!!!

I feel terrible to all the people who felt rushed and left today on almost no notice to get their 100% refund and might have had to book a hotel / car and inncured other expenses only to now find out they could have stayed on the ship.

Princess is responding with this to posts on their facebook page:

We deeply apologize for the continued frustration regarding this Caribbean Princess voyage. In trying to communicate a constantly evolving situation in a timely manner, we have done our best to keep our passengers informed about the status of the departure of Caribbean Princess, based on the best available information given to us by local officials. We have just been informed by local port officials that the port will not reopen this evening as previously communicated. An additional sheen of oil has been found on the north side of the channel and containment efforts are underway. At this point, the USCG will not be able to advise as to the possible reopening of the shipping channel until tomorrow morning. Given this new information, all passengers will receive a 100% refund of the cruise fare, government fees and taxes. In addition, as a goodwill gesture, each passenger will receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. Please accept our most sincere apology for not being able to deliver the cruise vacation you expected.

Edited by HeyPorter

This was posted by Princess on their Facebook page about 25 minutes ago:

"Given this new information, all passengers will receive a 100% refund of the cruise fare, government fees and taxes. In addition, as a goodwill gesture, each passenger will receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage."

There! Is everyone happy now? ;) Although it is not mentioned if the FCC will have an expiration date, I'm sure we'll see people come on here witching that it expires before they can use it. ;) ;)

And, as chipmaster pointed out, there were probably a number of people who decided to leave the ship this afternoon based on the revised offer. Now, they find out the original offer if reinstated. Boy, will they be PO'd!

Still, a very generous offer by Princess. Way above and beyond what they were required to offer. Which was nothing! Still, there's a lot of Princess hating going on over at Facebook right now.

Edited by Frugalist

This was posted by Princess on their Facebook page about 25 minutes ago:

"Given this new information, all passengers will receive a 100% refund of the cruise fare, government fees and taxes. In addition, as a goodwill gesture, each passenger will receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage."

There! Is everyone happy now? ;) Although it is not mentioned if the FCC will have an expiration date, I'm sure we'll see people come on here witching that it expires before they can use it. ;) ;)

And, as chipmaster pointed out, there were probably a number of people who decided to leave the ship this afternoon based on the revised offer. Now, they find out the original offer if reinstated. Boy, will they be PO'd!

Still, a very generous offer by Princess. Way above and beyond what they were required to offer. Which was nothing! Still, there's a lot of Princess hating going on over at Facebook right now.

what a charlie foxtrot. princess didn't have to offer anything. clearly force majeure. why they gave away the farm early and had to back and fill from then on might be a case study of what not to do at business schools in the future. then again, the gambling offer (125 or 50?) may have had the desired outcome of getting people off the ship and therefore not having to feed them etc. when in fact princess knew that the ship would not leave. wonder how many people baled to get the full offer? and now that the vacation week is wrecked (not by princess) and the full offer is restored i personally would stay aboard and use the amenities and eat for free, avoid airfare change fees and hotels, etc. will probably get boring and the bars can't serve anything decent due to my home state's insane liquor laws. maybe people can get together, call enterprise ("we'll pick you up!") to rent a car or van and go into houston or galveston. lots to see and do in galveston, lots of foodie places in houston.

Edited by flyingshoes