Don't book 4 people in an NCL cabin!!

Manatee Mom

Unless you get that suite, the insides, OV's and regular balconies are VERY small. I believe Carnival has the largest cabins overall.

I can only go by one Carnival cruise. And according to the square footage marked on web sites Carnival's regular balcony was suppose to be a little bigger than NCL. To be totally truthful, except that the storage space was utilized a little different. I really didn't notice a big difference in size of the two lines.

We have sailed twice on the Sky, both times in inside cabins and both times the configuration of the beds for the 4 people were different- the first time there were two pullman's that folded out from the wall and the second time there was one pullman and a fold out sofa.

We have cruised RCCL extensively in the past. We could not book a room for three unless it had "Beds inclusive of pullmans and sleep sofas" that would accomodate 3, we tried when our son was very young. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that would count as a bed with them. To have 4 people in that cabin was asking for trouble to begin with. Too bad NCL does not dicourage it or even deny it. Just makes for a really crowded ship too if at max. capacity. Better "DSC" money and money from onboard purchases though.

We have cruised over 30 times and have very little expectation or need for cabin space. We are out cruising and enjoying. Yes we have the beds put away during the day. However, never have we been on a cruise where a "hospital stretcher" is placed between two other beds with no warning from the website we booked on. A reasonable assumption we made was that they would warn us about this "non-standard" bedding arrangement.

Maybe we have been spoiled cruising on Carnival (never thought I would say that about carnival :-) ), Princess, RCCL, Disney, etc. where you are clearly told what the cabin sleeping arrangement will be so you can make an educated choice about cabin type.

The rest of the cruise was fine.

Now OP, I rarely take someone to task for what they post on CC, but if you have cruised 30 times and still believe that any cruiseline's material accurately describes the room accommodations you will receive, you have been extremely lucky, but your belief is not based on fact. Every board on CC has complaints about cabins not being what cruisers expected. Searches will easily bear this out.

As a matter of fact, I remember an absolutely livid cruiser on Carnival who was deeply offended that his handicapped suite cabin only had enough space for a wheelchair because all the furniture had been removed from the room! There was nowhere for them to sit comfortably but on the bed.

I can only go by one Carnival cruise. And according to the square footage marked on web sites Carnival's regular balcony was suppose to be a little bigger than NCL. To be totally truthful, except that the storage space was utilized a little different. I really didn't notice a big difference in size of the two lines.

I just have to say I'm CONSTANTLY reading how Carnival has bigger rooms than NCL. This is mentioned over and over. We sailed Carnival last year for the first time and their interior room was no different than NCL's. I have to admit I had my hopes up when we went, thinking we would be getting a larger room...but that wasn't the case. So I sit here scratching my head every time someone says this. :confused:

I mean this is no bigger than the interior on a NCL ship. This was our interior on the Dream before putting the top bunk down.

P5100013-%282%29-L.jpg

An ocean view on NCL Star, which is the exact same set up as an interior, but with a window:

room2-L.jpg

Interior on NCL Pearl...set up the same:

IMG_0794-L.jpg

I'm still confused about NCL versus Carnival and what is different.

To me, sailing either, you should expect the same. :confused:

. However, never have we been on a cruise where a "hospital stretcher" is placed between two other beds with no warning from the website we booked on. A reasonable assumption we made was that they would warn us about this "non-standard" bedding arrangement.

Maybe we have been spoiled cruising on Carnival (never thought I would say that about carnival :-) ), Princess, RCCL, Disney, etc. where you are clearly told what the cabin sleeping arrangement will be so you can make an educated choice about cabin type.

The rest of the cruise was fine.

We actually had one of those on Carnival. They didn't warn us either. We were quite surprised, but didn't find it a big deal.

We learned the hard way on our recent Norwegian Pearl cruise the reason why NCL.com is so vague about bedding configuration in their cabins. If they were clear, nobody would likely book 4 people in a cabin on their ships!

Video showing the terrible website and even more terrible sleeping configuration:

http://youtu.be/dShDdN9aibE

Be warned if you plan to cruise on NCL with 4 people in a stateroom!

Your video is hilarious! Made me smile today. :)

I stayed in an inside cabin with another adult and two 16 year old girls! :eek:

Our beds were set up the same way (we cruised with 7 other people who had the same cabins). We made it work - bathroom and all! And had a fabulous cruise!

I feel your pain I always travel carnival. Only been on ncl once rooms are tiny and I assumed there would be two Pullman beds not a stretcher for our cruise this Oct there wen page should be better!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all 11 cruises, we've only had insides. We've sailed X, Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL, and RCCL. All of the insides are small - we've found very little difference in the cabin sizes, though I will say that the largest/absolute best layout was on HAL. We have an almost 13yo, but he is on the small side. We do fine but would never recommend 4 adults in an inside on any line except maybe Disney. However, there is actually a way to configure the beds in the NCL inside that does offer more room. Have the steward remove the night stands and configure the beds as such: put the trundle in the up position and place against the wall you face as you enter the cabin. Place the other 2 beds each along each side wall, so you've got a reversed U shape. The pullman can all come down. The stewards will do this, but you have to be very explicit in the instructions (and a picture is also good). But again, I wouldn't recommend this for 4 adults. 3 adults & a kid, maybe.

In travelling, we've learned that research makes the difference in so many ways.

In all 11 cruises, we've only had insides. We've sailed X, Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL, and RCCL. All of the insides are small - we've found very little difference in the cabin sizes, though I will say that the largest/absolute best layout was on HAL. We have an almost 13yo, but he is on the small side. We do fine but would never recommend 4 adults in an inside on any line except maybe Disney. However, there is actually a way to configure the beds in the NCL inside that does offer more room. Have the steward remove the night stands and configure the beds as such: put the trundle in the up position and place against the wall you face as you enter the cabin. Place the other 2 beds each along each side wall, so you've got a reversed U shape. The pullman can all come down. The stewards will do this, but you have to be very explicit in the instructions (and a picture is also good). But again, I wouldn't recommend this for 4 adults. 3 adults & a kid, maybe.

In travelling, we've learned that research makes the difference in so many ways.

Yes a picture would help me....does anyone have a photo of setting up the beds in this reversed U shape????

There is a photo in this thread, post #29

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014057

Thank you so much for the photo link....I stumbled across this thread and I am so glad I did I presumed our cabin on Pearl and Jade would have 2 pull down beds and they do not (I phoned to confirm).

I now can mentally adjust and not be shocked. We are a family of 4, husband 6'4 and my daughters and I are all 5'8 ish but I think that the reverse U will be just fine. We choose to all stay in one room so that we can afford more vacations.

Just one more question for anyone will this reverse U work in Pearl/Jade inside cabins?

Thank you so much for the photo link....I stumbled across this thread and I am so glad I did I presumed our cabin on Pearl and Jade would have 2 pull down beds and they do not (I phoned to confirm).

I now can mentally adjust and not be shocked. We are a family of 4, husband 6'4 and my daughters and I are all 5'8 ish but I think that the reverse U will be just fine. We choose to all stay in one room so that we can afford more vacations.

Just one more question for anyone will this reverse U work in Pearl/Jade inside cabins?

That's why we go 4 in a cabin as well! Unless doing 2 cabins of 2 works out cheaper as it sometimes does.

It should work in all of them that have the trundle. You will have to show a picture or drawing to the cabin steward for them to understand.

Sorry I can't help you on your question.

I understand what you are saying about 2 cabins is not an option you want (financially). But I will suggest as I did on the other thread to ARI421, that you perhaps look at a higher deck inside, sometimes there is very little difference in cost (depending on the cruise), but isn't as expensive as 2 cabins. Not all insides are created equal.

Sorry I couldn't quickly locate a photo like I did of the higher insides on the Dawn. But it may just be another option for you to consider.