Is it me?

TMaine

I wish we could be more flexible but we both work so that is not an option. The 1,2,3 deal does not really appeal to us that much since we don't drink much to make it worth it. Don't get me wrong, I will pay a little extra for =X=, but not $1,000 per person! We won't consider carnival or princess anyway so we don't even look at the prices on them.

Like the old saying goes: "You get what you pay for.".

This doesn't really apply to cruising now does it? I can book a room today for $2,000 and then a price drop occurs and you book the same category room for $1,400. We both get the exact same product but each pay much different prices. So who gets what they paid for? Did I and then you just got a great deal or did you get what you paid for and I got hosed?

This doesn't really apply to cruising now does it? I can book a room today for $2,000 and then a price drop occurs and you book the same category room for $1,400. We both get the exact same product but each pay much different prices. So who gets what they paid for? Did I and then you just got a great deal or did you get what you paid for and I got hosed?

You got hosed. It happens to me all of the time.

We have decided we are going to go with the itinerary and price between Cunard and Celebrity. Whoever offers the best deal for the itinerary we are looking for we will book with. Cunard the food is better, service is better you can take your own drink onboard. Celebrity has blu and better entertainment (all IMHO)

We have decided we are going to go with the itinerary and price between Cunard and Celebrity. Whoever offers the best deal for the itinerary we are looking for we will book with. Cunard the food is better, service is better you can take your own drink onboard. Celebrity has blu and better entertainment (all IMHO)

Well, we can go ring a round the rosy ad infinitum debating what we all know to be a matter of taste. For me all things being equal, I would go with Cunard over Celebrity every time, and that means giving up some very good benefits on X.

Actually, on these boards there's nothing more silly than calling people defensive and/or cheerleaders because they express their opinion or preference for a cruise line. I'm not sure why some find it necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is purely supply and demand.

We did 4 Celebrity Med cruises over 2012 and 2013. The balcony prices were the lowest that we had ever seen them-which is why we included them with our independent land tours.

But there were a few reasons for it. The economy was terrible. Some extremely misinformed NA TA's were advising people not to travel to places like Greece. CNN 'entertainment news' fueled this fire. As a result we had fabulous cruises for $100. that had been $250. in prior years.

Med prices are back up. We usually book Tuesday specials in the final payment window. Actually HAL has some good pricing on a few April/early May Med cruises. We had a great price on our Equinox Christmas cruise this past December-a Tuesday special.

We are not married to any cruise line even though we do have favourites. Especially when it comes to port intensive cruises. We select on ship, itinerary, price, etc.

Edited by iancal

Actually, on these boards there's nothing more silly than calling people defensive and/or cheerleaders because they express their opinion or preference for a cruise line. I'm not sure why some find it necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think some find it necessary because they think that as a loyalist the answers given are biased. I consider myself a X loyalist, but I still try to give honest feedback.

I always laugh at those that say (whatever) cruise line is terrible, they would never cruise them again because of 1 observation or experience.

I would bet some on the Carnival board make fun of the X ships for same reasons some make fun of them on our board.

I have been on Princess, which was actually my favorite, but they are expensive and offer limited itineraries. Carnival was Ok considering the price. Royal Carribean's new ships are great, but expensiive. I was on Norwegian Epic last month, and we enjoyed the cruise, but would not go back to Nowegian. Service was bad, and buffet food was just OK. I did pay a little more for my next cruiise, which is on the Sillouette, but factering in the free drink package, it is about the same price as Carnival for the same itinerary. And I get to drink for free!

In my opinion NDR meals went down hill on all ships when the pay restaurants were introduced. 20 years ago the MDR meals were like the pay restaurants of today.

And, when "tips" were added onto bills instead of tipping for quality of service, service on cruises is not like it used to be.

I have never been on any cruise or cruiseship that I did not enjoy, as long as I do not expect service to be the same as 20 years ago. You can not go wrong on any cruise, but like someone said on an earlier post, you get what you pay for!

When I booked our 10 day Dec 14 cruise I never looked at another line because the price was good I thought. But, you made me wonder so I went to Travelocity and did a quick search. Not to fear as all the prices were are comparable. Yea some were more, some were less but it all depended on the week.

We've been on Carnival, Celebrity and RCCl. I think we took a NCL but that was too long ago to count. I'd take any cruise if the price was right. When we did the Carnival 7 night we had a good time. Food was fine, entertainment good, etc. No issues but at the time it was a lot cheaper than Celebrity. There was nothing wrong with the trip but we both got off missing the Celebrity experience. So much so that we booked a 5 night Celebrity for 2 months later.

So, I don't agree Celebrity prices are going up more than anyone else. Maybe for your cruise but not mine. And I say go for whatever cruise you think will give you the right value for your money. I'd sail, HAL, Princess, RCCL, etc. if the price was right. But, it would have to be a lot less than Celebrity for 2 reasons. Mainly because we know what we are getting. Some of the others are unknown to us. The second reason is the Elite perks. yea it is not a lot but a few drinks, some internet and laundry, that's enough.

enjoy

We have only cruised four times, once with Celebrity, twice with Oceania, and once with Crystal. We have two future cruises, Celebrity April 28 from Honolulu to Vancouver, and one with Seabourn June 1 in northern Europe.

We like trying all the lines and so far all have enjoyed them all. We will continue with Celebrity, possibly Oceania & never again with Crystal.

We really like the Solstice vessels and anticipate cruising Celebrity again. Celebrity prices were so attractive on our Eclipse trans Atlantic in the spring of last year we were able to afford a Sky Suite. This time in June we are taking a regular

balcony cabin, and spending additional monies on a premium drink package and eating in the specialty restaurants. We enjoy eating outside so seldom use the MDR, mostly the buffet, with a couple of specialty restaurants.

Of the four of course Celebrity is the least expensive and the best bang-for-the-buck cruise we have been on.

Regards,

Malcolm

I consider myself a X loyalist

I would bet some on the Carnival board make fun of the X ships

(Wait just a second here while I get on my sweater and grab my pom-poms...)

The difference is, dodger... YOU are right, and those OTHERS on Carnival are WRONG...

RAH, RAH, RAH!!! :rolleyes: :D ;)

I have found that in most cases celebrity's pricing is either comparable or better than other mass market lines. For the sailings that we have been looking at, I find X to be comparable to Royal Caribbean in terms of price and quite a bit cheaper than Princess.

Edited by lovemylab

actually, on these boards there's nothing more silly than calling people defensive and/or cheerleaders because they express their opinion or preference for a cruise line. I'm not sure why some find it necessary.

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk

a++

Edited by wallie5446

We have only cruised four times, once with Celebrity, twice with Oceania, and once with Crystal. We have two future cruises, Celebrity April 28 from Honolulu to Vancouver, and one with Seabourn June 1 in northern Europe.

We like trying all the lines and so far all have enjoyed them all. We will continue with Celebrity, possibly Oceania & never again with Crystal.

We really like the Solstice vessels and anticipate cruising Celebrity again. Celebrity prices were so attractive on our Eclipse trans Atlantic in the spring of last year we were able to afford a Sky Suite. This time in June we are taking a regular

balcony cabin, and spending additional monies on a premium drink package and eating in the specialty restaurants. We enjoy eating outside so seldom use the MDR, mostly the buffet, with a couple of specialty restaurants.

Of the four of course Celebrity is the least expensive and the best bang-for-the-buck cruise we have been on.

Regards,

Malcolm

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about Crystal?

It is all relative.

When we see current Alaska cruise prices so much higher than in years past, we feel we are getting hosed.

If we book a cruise that we really want even though the price is outrageously high. and then the price goes up even higher, we start to think we got a good deal after all.

If we book at what we feel is a fair price, but then the price drops much lower after final payment, we feel we got hosed.

Still other times we have picked up a great suite for a sale price that was less than we have paid for a regular balcony cabin on the same ship.

The suite and the service are not diminished in any way because you pay a lower price.

As you say, that old "You get what you pay for" theory does not apply to cruises at all.

The same is true for hotel prices and airline prices, where different people pay widely differing prices for the same category.

Edited by fleckle

In the free enterprise system somebody always ends up paying more than someone else, just a fact of life, this is not just something RCCL/Celebrity pulled out of the air. Even a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk will have a different price from one day to the next.

So bottom line, this is a lot of fun, but it is the way it is in every facit of life. Heck, even the grave yards put a sale on coffins from time to time:D

It is purely supply and demand.

We did 4 Celebrity Med cruises over 2012 and 2013. The balcony prices were the lowest that we had ever seen them-which is why we included them with our independent land tours.

But there were a few reasons for it. The economy was terrible. Some extremely misinformed NA TA's were advising people not to travel to places like Greece. CNN 'entertainment news' fueled this fire. As a result we had fabulous cruises for $100. that had been $250. in prior years.

We are not married to any cruise line even though we do have favourites. Especially when it comes to port intensive cruises. We select on ship, itinerary, price, etc.

It is impressive how variable prices can be. Our balcony Med cruise also cost less then 100 P P the summer of '12.

Unfortunately the airfare was the same cost as the cruise.:mad:

Last summer the deals were for Alaska with Princess and HAL OV's starting at just 50 P P.

If you are not wedded to a particular cruise line , date or region , there are deals to be had.

If you are very particular you will get to pay particular prices .:p

It seems this thread has gone off track regarding price jumps and I am to blame by responding to someone's "you get what you pay for" comment. I will pay what I believe to be a reasonable price for the cruise and when the price goes up or down from that point, I don't really care. I paid a price I am comfortable with.

Now, my original point was the current price of an =X= cruise for a given period and location (Sept 2014, Med) compared to similar itineraries in the same time frame. Celebrity and RCL are alot more. So when the price becomes reasonable, I will book a trip!

Or is =X= pricing themselves out of the market? I have been a loyal customer for awhile but as the reasons that kept me a customer slowly dwindle and prices quickly rise I am looking at other lines. There are a few HAL and Norwegian cruises that are competing for my business for my next vacation and right now, they are winning easily on price. My hope is that =X= drops their prices before I book.

Agree that Celebrity seems to be pushing to get their pricing levels up. As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. We had booked this cruise back in April 2012.

Our "adventure" worked super well. This was only our fifth cruise and second with Celebrity. As all businesses are facing during these challenging economic times, they want to improve the "bottom line", but keep a solid customer base. Not easy or simple to do with so many choices for travel and cruising out there. This morning you noted: "So when the price becomes reasonable, I will book a trip!". That is the way a free-market works. But, if you really want to go to a certain location at a specific time, the later price might get higher. If we had waited to book later for our Jan-Feb 2014 cruise, the price would have been higher and our cabin choice much less desirable. This same type of Solstice cruising for November-early December 2013 went down in pricing. Up and/or down. That's the market place at work!! Supply and demand. Not always easy to predict.

Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, the great sites in these scenic areas, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 45,935 views for this fun posting.

We hope to get an Alaska cruise this year. We can drive to Vancouver or Seattle on a days notice. Hopefully the late booking bargains will be as good as they were last year.

And if we don't, we will do something else. There is always next year.

We hope to get an Alaska cruise this year. We can drive to Vancouver or Seattle on a days notice. Hopefully the late booking bargains will be as good as they were last year.

And if we don't, we will do something else. There is always next year.

Late last minute bookings can be awesome.

I wanted to do a TA again this year, having done one last year and loved it....but when I wanted to book a year ago, prices seemed crazy high. So I waited till final payment, prices dipped a bit but not much. A week ago, I was able to snag the Penthouse on Eclipse for less than a Royal was selling for 2 months ago. :D

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting my 13 night crossing :-)

But I also risked the nice cabins being fully booked by not booking early, but it's a roll of the dice as to if preferences can be met close in or not. So one must decide if a specific itinerary and cabin is important (book in advance at higher fare) or do I prefer a deal, and OK risking losing the perfect cruise/cabin and wait for lower prices....

Most cruise lines if they drop the price before final payment date will refund you the difference from what you paid if you ask. After that date a cruise line will lower the price to fill the ship. Everybody knows that the worst cabins sell last. When you buy a car do you think you paid the same price as someone buying the same car at the end of the model year?

Now a cruise line price might be higher but they may be giving you a free drink package, an on board credit, paid gratuities. One cruise line may be cheaper and maybe their food is equal, but maybe they do everything in their power to get you to spend your money while on the ship to the point of annoyance and I can think of two lines that do this. The smoking policy is another reason I would probably pay a little more. If you haven't been on a particular cruise line in the last five years you will probably be in for a rude awakening of the changes and cutbacks

How many fares are there on any particular commercial flight? Many.

How many rates are there in most large hotels? Many

Why would we expect cruise fares to be any different.

Supply, demand, and when the time of booking all influence net price. This should not be a surprise to anyone.