Enhanced Driver's License AND A Birth Certificate?

We are departing out of and returning to Miami (Majesty). Royal Caribbean's website states that for U.S. passengers departing out of and returning to a U.S. port, a passport or Enhanced Driver's License AND birth certificate are necessary. My husband and I both have Enhanced Driver's Licenses...will they really ask for our birth certificates? I just think it's silly, since the only way we got an Enhanced License was by using our birth certificate. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but tracking my husband's birth certificate down isn't going to be easy.

Enhanced Driver's License SHOULD be all you need. My brother-in-law has used it for the past 5 years for our family cruise. From my understanding a Enhanced Driver's License is the same as a Passport Card- but NOT a passport.

Hope this helps & Happy Sailing

Thanks for the replies! That's exactly what I thought...everything I've read on the EDL is that it's a "stand alone" ID for re-entry by land or sea. I'm going to try to track my husbands BC down to be extra safe, but I'm not going to kill myself doing it. This is our first cruiser, and I've been so organized up til this point, I refuse to have a nervous breakdown with just 5 days to go! :cool:

From the RCI website regarding ID documentation for closed loop cruises:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services".

I think the distinction indicated by the posters - but not specifically mentioned in the webpage - is regarding Enhanced Drivers Licenses. This lack of specification defining EDL's by RCI may be the cause of the confusion.

As indicated, as they require a birth certificate in order to be issued, it should not be necessary to show both. The website refers only to (standard) government issued ID's in conjunction with birth certificates, not EDL's specifically which, as mentioned, should be fine alone.

And of course a Passport alone is good as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If one would have to leave the cruise, maybe sickness, and have to fly back, the edl is not accepted.

Neither would a birth certificate and government issued photo ID be accepted, but technically those are sufficient ID for a closed loop cruise. The government won't leave you stranded indefinitely in a foreign land if you don't have a passport. It may be more time consuming or more of a hassle, but you will still get home. I strongly advocate for passports but don't think that scare tactics that overplay their importance is right.

This is from CBP's website:

Document Requirements for Land and Sea Travel

U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

•Passports

•U.S. Passport Cards

•Enhanced Driver's Licenses

•Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST)

•Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)

•U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

•Enhanced Tribal Card (where available)

If you don't have the any of the above, and are on a closed loop cruise in the Western Hemisphere, only:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization

Since it is CBP's regulations, not the line's, and CBP's passenger manifest that your ID type and number must be entered in, this is the binding rule.

Edited by chengkp75

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5#usport

Royal's web site makes no mention of an EDL specifically, so not sure where OP got the idea the a BC is required in addition to an EDL. Royal's web site states that a WHTI-compliant document is required for cruises from the US to the Caribbean. The EDL is WHTI-compliant, so you're good.

A list of WHTI-compliant travel documents for land and sea travel can be found here:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

Note that an EDL is not good for international travel by air. You want a passport book for that.