Catholic priest onboard for Easter services on the Grand Princess??

SeaGypsies

I was just told by a Princess rep that Princess no longer furnishes a Catholic priest for passengers traveling on their ships over Easter or any religious holiday.

Our only chance is if a Catholic priest is booked on the cruise and is willing to do a service and arranges with Princess.

I have very fond memories of traveling last year at Easter on the Star Princess and we had the wonderful Father Gold the whole 28 days. It really made that cruise special.

Guess I will have to search for a church in Maui where we will be on Easter Sunday.

This is something that I've noticed on many ship's, recently. Not only are there not priest's (who used to be there daily), but there are no Minister's and no Rabbi's onboard for any holiday's :confused:.

IMHO, if it's very important to you, stay home for the holiday.

Guess I will have to search for a church in Maui where we will be on Easter Sunday.

You won't have to search far: here is a link to the Web page for the RC church closest to the pier in Kahului. And if you are tendering into Lahaina, here is a link to a church there.

Enjoy your cruise.

A Catholic Priest I know is a regular on Holland America, which has a commitment to always having a Priest on board. He gets a free cruise and celebrates Mass every day for both passengers and crew (good many of whom are Philipino and Catholic) as well as making himself available to all. I suspect that Princess no longer wants to support one particular religion OR no longer wants to provide one free cabin!

I was just told by a Princess rep that Princess no longer furnishes a Catholic priest for passengers traveling on their ships over Easter or any religious holiday.

Our only chance is if a Catholic priest is booked on the cruise and is willing to do a service and arranges with Princess.

I have very fond memories of traveling last year at Easter on the Star Princess and we had the wonderful Father Gold the whole 28 days. It really made that cruise special.

A priest for 28 days?! That's a lot of confession -- clearly, someone was having themselves a good time of it on that cruise . . . Wishing you continued debauchery on your future travels.

I think the former is more likely. If I had to guess, they probably got complaints of 'why is there not someone of Religion X'....

A Catholic Priest I know is a regular on Holland America, which has a commitment to always having a Priest on board. He gets a free cruise and celebrates Mass every day for both passengers and crew (good many of whom are Philipino and Catholic) as well as making himself available to all. I suspect that Princess no longer wants to support one particular religion OR no longer wants to provide one free cabin!

Current Princess "Cruise Answer Book" on page 23 says

Princess places Guest Catholic and Jewish clergy on board for the following religious holidays. Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when on board.

Easter Sunday

Christmas

Passover

Yom Kippur

Princess places Guest Catholic and Jewish clergy on board for the following religious holidays. Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when on board.

Easter Sunday

Christmas

Passover

Yom Kippur

I guess in this era of cutbacks, acquiring revenue on what would have been a free cabin, trumps page 23? :eek:

Or, as is more likely, Princess forgot to update their docs and will now catch flak for it..

I'd be curious to know what attendance was in 2013. If we could get a broad enough sample of how many folks showed for services, would be a good indicator of decision reasons.

I guess in this era of cutbacks, acquiring revenue on what would have been a free cabin, trumps page 23? :eek:

Or, as is more likely, Princess forgot to update their docs and will now catch flak for it..

I'd be curious to know what attendance was in 2013. If we could get a broad enough sample of how many folks showed for services, would be a good indicator of decision reasons.

The Vista Lounge was almost packed every time I attended.:)

Easter Sunday

Christmas

Passover

Yom Kippur

I hope you are right but the Princess rep directed me to their online site while I was on the phone and pointed out the new wording. I think it's under Onboard Services but not certain.

You won't have to search far: here is a link to the Web page for the RC church closest to the pier in Kahului. And if you are tendering into Lahaina, here is a link to a church there.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for these links. Very helpful. We will be in Lahaina and I've already sent an email to the MLCC website asking for Mass times. Kind of excited to go to service there in Maui so "its all good.":)

This is something that I've noticed on many ship's, recently. Not only are there not priest's (who used to be there daily), but there are no Minister's and no Rabbi's onboard for any holiday's :confused:.

IMHO, if it's very important to you, stay home for the holiday.

Don't have to stay at home. Thankfully we are in Maui port that day so can seek out a place to go to Mass.

Thanks for all the responses to my question. So many nice people on these boards.:)

This is a very disappointing development. Apparently the policy for Easter/Christmas/Passover was just changed in mid-February.

We will be on the Grand Asia (Sapphire Princess repositioning) which travels over Easter. I was assured when I booked in January that a priest would be available. (Easter Sunday is a sea day.) Now we are well past final payment - departing in nine days - and I find that we can not be assured that a Catholic Chaplain has been booked.

What's done is done, but this will be a problem going forward for future Easter and Christmas sailings. I think this is very shortsighted on the part of the cruise line.

Maddle

We will be on the Grand Asia (Sapphire Princess repositioning) which travels over Easter. I was assured when I booked in January that a priest would be available. (Easter Sunday is a sea day.) Now we are well past final payment - departing in nine days - and I find that we can not be assured that a Catholic Chaplain has been booked.

There will likely be services, but led by a Princess employee.

We respect our passengers' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow passengers. Passengers who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Passenger Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

Clergy traveling as Passengers onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Passenger Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff.

Please note that during Passover, there will be a Seder service (including Passover meal) held onboard. For Hanukkah, services are available and will be passenger-led with wine, Challah bread, prayers and an electric Menorah (no candles or live flames) provided by Princess. Supplies are present and available for anyone who wants to lead the service at 5:30 PM on Friday evenings.

If you would like to bring on your own Menorah, you may. However, since candles are prohibited onboard all Princess ships, it must be electric (no live flame).

Security Guide

The Vista Lounge was almost packed every time I attended.:)

I can affirm what Sea Gypsies said. We were both on the same 28 day cruise. The Vista Lounge was packed every Sea Day when services were being held. We were also fortunate to have a Deacon onboard from Canada who volunteered and assisted Father Gold. Many who attended not only the services, but also his lectures, were of various faiths. I'd like to add that having a religious on board is most helpful not only for the crew and staff but in those cases it is most helpful when there is an emergency because of major illness or death of a crew member or passenger. Besides Holland America, that has Catholic clergy on every sailing, both Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean have Catholic clergy on sailings from time to time.

Regarding the Hanukkah services (as reprinted in my last post), from attending these, I can affirm that Princess does a superb job of providing all the amenities including printing out the prayers and songs for those leading the nightly services. And again, others than the Jewish faith also are welcome & do attend.

Santa "scampi"

There will likely be services, but led by a Princess employee.

Perhaps - but that is not a Catholic Mass....and a Catholic Mass for holy days is what was assured by the former policy.

As I said, for this cruise - what's done is done. I can't in good conscience plan future holiday cruises. That's really too bad because Christmas is the one time I can guarantee my husband can do a long cruise, and fully disengage from his job.

Maddle

I can affirm what Sea Gypsies said. We were both on the same 28 day cruise. The Vista Lounge was packed every Sea Day when services were being held. We were also fortunate to have a Deacon onboard from Canada who volunteered and assisted Father Gold. Many who attended not only the services, but also his lectures, were of various faiths. I'd like to add that having a religious on board is most helpful not only for the crew and staff but in those cases it is most helpful when there is an emergency because of major illness or death of a crew member or passenger. Besides Holland America, that has Catholic clergy on every sailing, both Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean have Catholic clergy on sailings from time to time.

Regarding the Hanukkah services (as reprinted in my last post), from attending these, I can affirm that Princess does a superb job of providing all the amenities including printing out the prayers and songs for those leading the nightly services. And again, others than the Jewish faith also are welcome & do attend.

Santa "scampi"

Hi Santa,

I am so glad you posted on this issue, for many reasons.

I remember you well from the wonderful 28 day cruise to the South Pacific on the Star Princess over the 2013 Easter holidays.

I am a returning Catholic after almost 50 years and have traced the beginnings of my "return" to that Easter cruise on the Star. I remember you mentioning going to Easter services in one of our ports (that's before we knew we would have Fr. Gold onboard) and I felt a calling to do the same.

When I attended the Good Friday services in the Vista Lounge, it was pretty much game over, so to speak. I am on my way back and you are one of the people I have to thank for that.

I love telling this story and my "Catholics Returning Home" class loves it too.:)

Thank you so much, Santa.

Perhaps - but that is not a Catholic Mass....and a Catholic Mass for holy days is what was assured by the former policy.

As I said, for this cruise - what's done is done. I can't in good conscience plan future holiday cruises. That's really too bad because Christmas is the one time I can guarantee my husband can do a long cruise, and fully disengage from his job.

Maddle

Maddle,

This isn't helpful for your upcoming cruise but you might be interested in reading this review of a Christmas time sailing on Holland America for any future plans you make. The OP post by Infi on Jan. 5th, 2014 is quite informative & interesting. Sorry: It didn't work. I'll try to post the link again.

http:// http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?=1965695&highlight=catholic+mass&page=2

scampi

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965695&highlight=catholic+mass

Edited by scampi

This is a very disappointing development. Apparently the policy for Easter/Christmas/Passover was just changed in mid-February.

How convenient, just before the Easter season would cost them money. I guess they read the "render under Caesar" part, but not the rest of the sentence.

I don't think it does cost them money...or very little. The priest that was the chaplain this past Christmas on the Star said that they pay for their cabin. Maybe they get a stipend for their efforts? or maybe they get their berth free, and anyone they bring along has to pay?

In any case, I am very let down. I don't expect them to book a priest for every week of the year - although it is nice when one is onboard and does a Mass - but Christmas and Easter are important holidays, even for nominal Catholics. Many priests do a daily Mass in addition to the Holy Day. This is often an added bonus...but not a deal-breaker for me. The actual holiday is important; important enough for me to reconsider my plans.

Maddle

Edited by Maddle

I don't think it does cost them money...or very little. The priest that was the chaplain this past Christmas on the Star said that they pay for their cabin.

A priest I know who enjoys what he calls "the ministry of Saint Paul" says he gets his passage for free. But I don't recall him ever mentioning Princess so they may do it differently.

This is one more thing I have found recently that is making me take another look at Holland America. They still have a priest on every sailing, plus DW is a fan of Dancing With the Stars and I like the BB King Blues Club, and we both want to try the Le Cirque dinner. If only they would fix their smoking policy, HAL would be very attractive indeed.