Bay of Biscay

saliecat

Saliecat.....I am afraid the Bay of Biscay is like the British weather and the Atlantic ocean...totally unpredictable! I have sailed the Bay many times (but not on Azura) and it has been very rough, very smooth and everything in between!

But, trying to be helpful too, I sailed the Bay in April last year on the QE to the Canaries and it wasn't exactly rough but there was quite a swell, so there was a fair bit of movement. I think you would be best to expect the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised!

My OH used to get a bit seasick but now uses those wristbands you can buy and finds that he is fine.

Hope you have a lovely trip.:)

Thank-you 'Mysticalmother' for your quick responce.

At least we know to expect the unexpected! :confused:

We are D deck mid ship, so we'll see.

I take medication for high BP, and spoke to my doctor about taking sea-sickness pills, and he suggested I wait and see how I feel on board and then consult with the ship's doctor, informing him/her of the medication I am taking.

But I will invest in some of those wrist bands.

Saliecat,

I would recommend taking some antisickness tablets with you (herbal or otherwise) as well as a band as the onboard doctors are extremely expensive so would use as a last resort!

We've only had one rough crossing in the Bay, although usually go in the Summer. I tend to find it more noticeable on the way back if you've been in the Med but not on the way down.

I would remove any loose hangers (or weighing them down with a towel) overnight as they get very noisy if it gets bumpy. That was the only thing that kept me awake last year as I forgot to do it, the swells can actually be quite relaxing otherwise!

Hope you have a lovely trip.

You'll be OK on Azura as it is so big. Last April we had a force 11 gale coming back and it was fine. They closed the Promenade deck and I was surprised because I didn't realise it was so rough; it didn't feel so on the ship!

Once again, thank-you to you all for your response to my question.

Have taken on board (no pun intended!!) all your suggestions and comments.

Now thinking about which suitcase............ medium and holdall or large and 'carry on' bag.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound like another question, just thinking out loud :rolleyes:

No need to bother your doctor ask the pharmacist if you want advice....I take Stugeron from Boots and they are no problem with my blood pressure tablets. It will cost you alot if you see the doc on board so best to go prepared....we take a large toilet bag with all sorts of pills and potions, plasters, bandages, throat sweets, not the kitchen sink though!!:)

Sent from my C5303 using Forums mobile app

Right, off to pharmacy tomorrow!

I laughed about not taking the kitchen sink! I too have a 'medicine' bag. And now looking at the spare bed with all the stuff I'm taking, and I haven't thought about clothes yet!

and if the sickness does rear its ugly head, the old tip about green apples always works for me. At sea or on land (especially after a few too many the night before).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Stugeron needs to be taken about 8 hours beforehand and does not work straight away, but they do work. Kwells are our best friend. Feel a bit icky, whack a Kwells down and you will be up and about again in 20 minutes. Well thats how it is for me and the Mrs.

As everyone says try and avoid the onboard doctor or you might choke on the bill.

But do remember you are on a ship and they are meant to move around a bit. Azura is so huge it takes a big sea to get a ship like that moving enough to worry anyone. So you will probably be fine.

We were on Oceana in the Bay in April 2012 - it was very choppy - in fact we came back to our cabin and wondered what was on our Balcony - it was part of the "Oceana" sign off the side of the ship - not just a little bit the first 4 letters ! thank goodness we weren't out there when that fell off !

I do enjoy reading this forum!! What are these wristbands people like? Where can I buy some....thought I would ask you all before clicking on a google search as I know the response will be more appropriate, and more interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, have listened to all the advice I have been given.

So just back from the pharmacy with wrist-bands, and Stugeron, recommended also by the pharmacy. Then popped next door to Holland & Barrett for some crystallised ginger. (two for one deal)

So 10 more sleeps and we'll be off!

Well, have listened to all the advice I have been given.

So just back from the pharmacy with wrist-bands, and Stugeron, recommended also by the pharmacy. Then popped next door to Holland & Barrett for some crystallised ginger. (two for one deal)

So 10 more sleeps and we'll be off!

Enjoy and hopefully you won't need your seasickness remedies.:cool: