Document Question

I've talked to RCI and gotten several different answers so let's try the smart people here.

I'm taking my son, daughter in law and granddaughter on our May cruise. My daughter in law still carries her passport under her maiden name.

The Question: In order to avoid any problems at the dock, I plan on bringing all the usual stuff (passports, licenses, etc.) but I also plan to bring their marriage certificate and my granddaughter's birth certificate to prove that my DiL is, in fact, the baby's mother and we aren't kidnapping the child.

Any other suggestions or things of which I have not thought? (for all you grammar sticklers out there :D)

Edited by JohnGaltny

You should be all set. The marriage license connecting all of the names should be all you need. The Granddaughter's Raised Seal Birth Certificate should have both of the parents names on it. Make sure it is a Raised Seal Birth Certificate, not just a hospital issued birth notice. You may not be asked for anything but it best to be ready.

I believe you will have enough documents. DIL needs to bring her marriage certificate to prove the passport is hers if she booked the cruise under her married name. If she booked the cruise under her maiden name, the passport will match the name booked and all is well.

She not only needs proof she is the mother but also needs proof (notarized letter) from the father giving his consent to his daughter going out of the country on the trip. With all the separated/divorced parents kidnapping their child(ren) and taking them to a foreign country to avoid US law, a lone parent taking minors out of the country raises eyebrows of the authorities.

You should be all set. The marriage license connecting all of the names should be all you need. The Granddaughter's Raised Seal Birth Certificate should have both of the parents names on it. Make sure it is a Raised Seal Birth Certificate, not just a hospital issued birth notice. You may not be asked for anything but it best to be ready.

Birth certificates no longer have raised seals. The last one I obtained 20 years ago had an official stamp in red ink. The certificate (short form!) was printed on special paper.

I believe you will have enough documents. DIL needs to bring her marriage certificate to prove the passport is hers if she booked the cruise under her married name. If she booked the cruise under her maiden name, the passport will match the name booked and all is well.

She not only needs proof she is the mother but also needs proof (notarized letter) from the father giving his consent to his daughter going out of the country on the trip. With all the separated/divorced parents kidnapping their child(ren) and taking them to a foreign country to avoid US law, a lone parent taking minors out of the country raises eyebrows of the authorities.

I may be mistaken but I got the impression that the OP's "son" is the father of the grandchild and husband to the daughter in law. If so, then no parental consent letter is needed because the father will be there.

Edited by joepeka

Birth certificates no longer have raised seals. The last one I obtained 20 years ago had an official stamp in red ink. The certificate (short form!) was printed on special paper.

Depends on the state. For instance, birth certificates from the state of Florida still feature a raised state seal on them.

Edited by UCF_Knight

Depends on the state. For instance, birth certificates from the state of Florida still feature a raise state seal on them.

"Official" seal might be better terminology.

I may be mistaken but I got the impression that the OP's "son" is the father of the grandchild and husband to the daughter in law. If so, then no parental consent letter is needed because the father will be there.

This is correct. My son will be there.

She is registered under her maiden name which matches her passport. I'm more concerned that the parents names are different and we are taking a 22 month old. I want to be able to prove they are both parents of my granddaughter.

This is correct. My son will be there.

She is registered under her maiden name which matches her passport. I'm more concerned that the parents names are different and we are taking a 22 month old. I want to be able to prove they are both parents of my granddaughter.

Does your granddaughter's birth certificate not have your son's name listed as the father and your daughter-in-law's maiden name listed as the mother?

That's how every birth certificate in my household (from 3 different states) has the parents listed: father's name and mother's maiden name.

Edited by UCF_Knight

The birth certificate has my DiL with both maiden (nee) and our family last name.

My granddaughter has our last name.

DiL's passport (and her cruise registration) have her maiden name only.

The Wedding Certificate has her maiden name and my son's family name.

My thought is I use the marriage certificate to prove she's married to my son and the birth certificate to prove that she is the baby's mother. This connects her passport/registration (maiden name) to our family name (my son's and the baby's) and then proves her as the baby's mom (so no mistress or baby abduction involved).

I think that does it but I'm curious if there's anything I'm missing. It's a different world nowadays.

Edited by JohnGaltny

The birth certificate has my DiL with both maiden (nee) and our family last name.

My granddaughter has our last name.

DiL's passport (and her cruise registration) have her maiden name only.

The Wedding Certificate has her maiden name and my son's family name.

There is no reason to prove that your DIL and son are married; it's not important for purposes of travel;

It wouldn't hurt to have the BC; although RCI does not require it IF the child and at least one parent share the same last name. It's possible that a country's immigration might inquire about the child, which the BC would solve quickly, but it's unlkiley.

Aloha,

John

Thanks John.

However, I've heard horror stories about fathers absconding with kids so I want to prove DiL is the legitimate mother.

My law enforcement background is making me crazy. LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

Beating a dead horse of course, but once again it just seems like getting a new passport for DIL and one for child would make for less paperwork to carry and less uncertainty.

That would be easy BUT these are 20 somethings we're talking about. Why listen to an old man?? LOL

Absolutely not necessary. 2 people don't have to be married to have a child together, and as such, Royal has no interest in their marital status.

Agreed BUT single parents are the most prevalent kidnappers of young children and I do not want to hear about it at the dock. I am taking them for their first cruise and I want everything perfect for my kids. I am crazy about my DiL (which is extremely lucky for me) and want no problems for her.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Agreed BUT single parents are the most prevalent kidnappers of young children and I do not want to hear about it at the dock. I am taking them for their first cruise and I want everything perfect for my kids. I am crazy about my DiL (which is extremely lucky for me) and want no problems for her.

Again though, whether the parents are married or not makes no difference to Royal. All they care about is the the child is with her parents....and their names are on her birth certificate, not the parents' marriage certificate.

Edited by waterbug123

I think you're more than covered, just one thing though, if your DIL uses her married name on her DL, then, in ports that require ID, she will have to take her passport as her Dl will not match her sea pass card.

I would say that since you are so prepared, your going to get a check-in clerk who knows what they are doing and won't ask for the extra proof that you have.

It's Better to have and not need, then to need and not have!

I have travelled as a single mom with my 2 kids. they are now 20 and almost 18. I have always travelled with their birth certificates and in recent year passports. I have never been asked even once about parental permission to travel with them either getting on any ship or through customs leaving Canada to the U.S. Not once! I was always prepared but never ever asked!

I have travelled as a single mom with my 2 kids. they are now 20 and almost 18. I have always travelled with their birth certificates and in recent year passports. I have never been asked even once about parental permission to travel with them either getting on any ship or through customs leaving Canada to the U.S. Not once! I was always prepared but never ever asked!

I have also taken my children on 4 cruises as a single parent and never been asked to show any of this documentation - passports only. I always have all of our birth certificates, my marriage certificate, my divorce papers, our passports and a notarized letter of consent to travel from my children's father.

We've flown and crossed into the US by car and customs has never asked a thing about my children's father or if he knows we are crossing the border. Once a RCCL agent asked if I had a letter of consent to travel and when I eagerly reached for it (after all, it cost me $50 to get it notarize) she said she didn't need to see it.

I wouldn't chance travelling without all the documentation but I don't expect to need it either.

Enjoy your cruise with your family.

What a great experience to be cruising with your family. I have taken my 3 granddaughters on many cruises and just like you worried I had every necessary form. Not once was I asked for any documentation. I still take everything with me because it only takes one clerk to ask. But as far as I can tell you have it covered.