MDR attire....

uilleann

An interesting question, Irish.

I guess my comment kind of irritated some folks, although I did not mean to. I was just asking if a person goes to a social event that requires more formal dress, what do they do??? Do they stay home? Do they just wear whatever they want regardless of what is expected? I think it is a valid question. I didn't mean to start a spit-spat over what is required at weddings and funerals. My apologies......

I guess a funeral or wedding doesn't "require" a suit and tie anymore, but I am sure some social functions do. I guess I was raised differently. My mother always taught me that funerals (for example) required "church dress". Now, "church dress" years ago is very different than today. I guess I am old fashioned and I wear a conservative "dressy/church type" outfit to funerals. I guess I am in the minority. I would also venture to say that it depends on what part of the country you are from as to what the local customs are. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, I would guess........

I am not certain what attending a wedding or a funeral has to do what clothing one chooses to wear on vacation cruise lasting for multiple days or weeks.

When I am on a cruise ship, I am NOT a guest. I am a paying customer. The cruise ship or hotel may like to refer to me as a guest but this is a misnomer.

No different than being a paying customer when I have my car repaired or spend money at the grocery store.

I guess my comment kind of irritated some folks, although I did not mean to. I was just asking if a person goes to a social event that requires more formal dress, what do they do??? Do they stay home? Do they just wear whatever they want regardless of what is expected? I think it is a valid question. I didn't mean to start a spit-spat over what is required at weddings and funerals. My apologies......

I guess a funeral or wedding doesn't "require" a suit and tie anymore, but I am sure some social functions do. I guess I was raised differently. My mother always taught me that funerals (for example) required "church dress". Now, "church dress" years ago is very different than today. I guess I am old fashioned and I wear a conservative "dressy/church type" outfit to funerals. I guess I am in the minority. I would also venture to say that it depends on what part of the country you are from as to what the local customs are. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, I would guess........

I was brought up the same way. People DO wear suits, shirts and ties to the funerals that I go to. It's been a long time since I've been at a wedding.

Hmm, we booked HAL, one of the reasons is the formal nights. For us it is a part of our cruise feeling.

So I say frankly, I would be disapointed if our table mates will ignore the dresscode. And yes, as a guest with HAL I am a paying customer too. But I want to be treated as a welcomed guest. I like to dress up and my husband will wear a suit (he doesn't like it very much but it is his understanding of partnership). IMO it is also an expression of respect to the fellow cruisers.

Edited by ConnyR

When the funeral is the death of an older persons and the attendees are older also, there are lots of sits. If the funeral is of a fairly young person, there are very few suits.

As to being a paying customer that doesn't fly as some restaurants where you pay a pretty penny still require "gentlemen" to wear a jacket and tie.

Dressing in formal wear for a funeral or wedding is out of respect for the milestone being marked and the people (friends/family) you are around. They mark significant and impactful changes to families; beginnings and endings. And many weddings these days will suggest a certain attire, whether it be elegant, black tie, beach casual, etc. On an occasion such as that I have and will continue to honor requests.

A cruise vacation is something you book with a credit card and many are sat with strangers celebrating nothing more meaningful than being on the same ship together. Sure, people enjoy the passing of a birthday or anniversary, a job well done or a retirement, etc., but that should not require the participation of hundreds of strangers to dress in formal wear in and of itself for they are not your old and dear friends, nor your family. I don't recall a photographer at a funeral ever requesting me pose in front of a cloth backdrop...

Major difference really.

dressing in formal wear for a funeral or wedding is out of respect for the milestone being marked and the people (friends/family) you are around. They mark significant and impactful changes to families; beginnings and endings. And many weddings these days will suggest a certain attire, whether it be elegant, black tie, beach casual, etc. On an occasion such as that i have and will continue to honor requests.

A cruise vacation is something you book with a credit card and many are sat with strangers celebrating nothing more meaningful than being on the same ship together. Sure, people enjoy the passing of a birthday or anniversary, a job well done or a retirement, etc., but that should not require the participation of hundreds of strangers to dress in formal wear in and of itself for they are not your old and dear friends, nor your family. I don't recall a photographer at a funeral ever requesting me pose in front of a cloth backdrop...

Major difference really.

like :)

I'm "old fashioned" like you, Irish. Nothing wrong with that!

Hmm, we booked HAL, one of the reasons is the formal nights. For us it is a part of our cruise feeling.

So I say frankly, I would be disappointed if our table mates will ignore the dress code. And yes, as a guest with HAL I am a paying customer too. But I want to be treated as a welcomed guest. I like to dress up and my husband will wear a suit (he doesn't like it very much but it is his understanding of partnership). IMO it is also an expression of respect to the fellow cruisers.

THIS!! We book with HAL in part because of the more classic cruise experience - complete with formal nights.

Edited by AlohaPride

It hasn't been a peachy one here either.......but I am sure yours was a lot colder and snowier than here! I love Canada, however, I have never been there in winter!!:)

Trust me---you're not missing anything. :D

Another question for the "I-Never-Want-To-Dress-Up-Again" crowd:

What do you do when you have to attend a wedding, funeral or other social event that requires a suit and tie? Do you decline the invitation, or do you just show up in jeans just because you reject more formal attire?

Don't mean this comment to insult anyone, but I think it is a real question.....

Since I don't own a suit and I have rented a tux for the last time, I would decline.

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are at a point in our lives where we have the time to spend on extended travel. We often use a transatlantic or transpacific cruise as a prelude or a postscript to an extended land-based trip. We see no reason to schlepp formal wear with us for an entire trip just to wear it for a few hours on a few evenings. Not wanting to ruin anyone else's cruise by showing up in the MDR on formal nights not dressed to the nines, we eat in the buffet and have a lovely time of it.

Side note: The buffet is usually a quieter dining venue when compared to the noisy MDR.

Good grief, another rant about attire in the Main Dining Room.

Agree 100%. I read the OP's opening statement twice, and thought it kind of odd. I couldn't figure out what his point was, what his question was, or WHY he needed to make a proclamation about the clothes he's planning to wear onboard. :confused:

Agree 100%. I read the OP's opening statement twice, and thought it kind of odd. I couldn't figure out what his point was, what his question was, or WHY he needed to make a proclamation about the clothes he's planning to wear onboard. :confused:

I thought was odd as well, kind of along the lines of a post where someone bragged about teaching that wonderful family value of not following rules...some people's kids [even when they're aged]

So, bringing it back to the original title of the thread "MDR Attire"....

What do any of you wear for breakfast in the MDR? Is there a dress code? DH often wants to wear (dressy) shorts and I throw out the "No short in the MDR" card. But maybe it is ok for him to wear shorts at breakfast if formal night doesn't even require a suit?

Honestly, just asking a question:)

DH would be so happy to hear I had been wrong all this time!

Edited by HALrunner
trying to avoid flaming

What do any of you wear for breakfast in the MDR? Is there a dress code? DH often wants to wear (dressy) shorts and I throw out the "No short in the MDR" card. But maybe it is ok for him to wear shorts at breakfast if formal night doesn't even require a suit?

Shorts are 1000000% fine for breakfast.

Direct from HAL

"

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment

of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life

aboard ship and in ports of call is laid back and casual. "

So, bringing it back to the original title of the thread "MDR Attire"....

Honestly, just asking a question:)

DH would be so happy to hear I had been wrong all this time!

The dress code is for evenings. Your husband is good to go with shorts for breakfast and lunch. :)

Tuxes, suits and jacket/tie are all appropriate for formal evenings.

The dress code is for evenings. Your husband is good to go with shorts for breakfast and lunch. :)

Tuxes, suits and jacket/tie are all appropriate for formal evenings.

Seriously?!?! Shorts are ok at lunch, too?!?! I'm not even going to admit that to him! Poor guys has been "suffering" through khaki slacks for breakfast and lunch for 10 year now! Thank goodness he isn't on CC to see this!

Hmmmm, the slope has suddenly become quite slippery.... can I wear yoga pants to breakfast? This changes everything!

Seriously?!?! Shorts are ok at lunch, too?!?! I'm not even going to admit that to him! Poor guys has been "suffering" through khaki slacks for breakfast and lunch for 10 year now! Thank goodness he isn't on CC to see this!

Hmmmm, the slope has suddenly become quite slippery.... can I wear yoga pants to breakfast? This changes everything!

I'm not gonna touch that one... :D

I am not certain what attending a wedding or a funeral has to do what clothing one chooses to wear on vacation cruise lasting for multiple days or weeks.

When I am on a cruise ship, I am NOT a guest. I am a paying customer. The cruise ship or hotel may like to refer to me as a guest but this is a misnomer.

No different than being a paying customer when I have my car repaired or spend money at the grocery store.

The question I asked regarding weddings and funerals (please read it again) was an "aside" question after my original comment. I did not mean to upset anyone's apple cart , it was just a question posed to those who refuse to dress up at all/any time(s). I am certainly intelligent enough to realize that weddings and funerals have nothing to do with cruises (unless you are being married on a ship).

Believe me, I am sorry I brought it up. Please forgive me!

This is probably why I rarely comment on this forum anymore......