Transatlantic then One Way plane back???

KiddieKruzer

I'm not cruising transatlantic but I have to ask. .. how do the transatlantics do it??? Have you seen the prices for one way tickets back to the states?

My husband is flying over on a military flight for training. When he is finished, he will meet me after my cruise in port (I'm buying round trip). He won't be able to use his military flight home so is up to us to fly him back commercial. $4K!!! There has to be a secret on one way tickets I don't know about. Please share.

:what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I'm not cruising transatlantic but I have to ask. .. how do the transatlantics do it??? Have you seen the prices for one way tickets back to the states?

My husband is flying over on a military flight for training. When he is finished, he will meet me after my cruise in port (I'm buying round trip). He won't be able to use his military flight home so is up to us to fly him back commercial. $4K!!! There has to be a secret on one way tickets I don't know about. Please share.

Booking 2 transatlantic cruises, spring and fall, to book return airfare.. ;)

Try skyscanner.com for lower fares or just don't use the 2nd part/returnflight on your ticket. Airlines require you to follow the coupons/parts as listed but don't care much about you showing up when you've paid. ;)

Never done it myself but heard people get away it easily, no fines etc, besides that.. if you miss the flight "back" and decide to arrange your own alternative transport then that's completely your own business right?

It's hard to get good rates, but it can be done. Usually I'm not big on TAs but this would be a good time to see if a TA could help you out. There are some great rates out there. Recently one of my kids bought a ticket from Germany to San Francisco and round trip was 350 Euros...............sounds impossible and it was too good for him to turn it down.

We have done 4 TA's now, leave in April on our 5th. Airlines no longer charge RT. We book one way only and do not pay a premium. The last 4 years I have flown back Bus class using airline miles which I earned taking out credit cards. Requires a good credit rating and good money management technique, but it has worked for me every year. We fly back this year from Copenhagen with United on a SAS flight in Business Class for 50K miles and $10 bucks. It can be done. SHHHHHHH don't tell everyone, the airlines might catch on.

You should post this in the cruise air forum with the city pair and date and I will guarantee a flight will be found for a lot less than $4,000.

There is no way anybody should ever have to pay that much for a one way flight.

We're doing a 3 leg 38-day cruise beginning next month which includes a TA (our first). I spent a lot of time searching for a good price for our one-way return flight. We went with Iceland Air because they were the cheapest I found by far. Also Iceland is a place we have wanted to visit and you can stop over in Iceland and continue the flight later at the same flight price as if you flew straight through (a smart way to encourage tourism). So we're staying there for a few days on the way back.

Our flights from Copenhagen to Seattle were $498. each. (I booked them 10 months ahead). :)

Another option is the Norwegian Air. Not the cruise line. You might want to consider flying a domestic airline to/from your home airport to one of the cities served by Norwegian/ Icelandair. Another option is using airlines miles( if you have them). Just a few thoughts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Another option is the Norwegian Air. Not the cruise line. You might want to consider flying a domestic airline to/from your home airport to one of the cities served by Norwegian/ Icelandair.

http://www.norwegian.com/long_us/

Norwegian air costs from 200 to 300 dollar for one way from many cities in US, JFK, FLL, LAX, MCO, OAK and directly to London, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki, and from there you can get wherever you want in Europe.

You will be able to get from US to around 70 cities for less than 500 dollar one way.

Norwegian air costs from 200 to 300 dollar for one way from many cities in US, JFK, FLL, LAX, MCO, OAK and directly to London, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki, and from there you can get wherever you want in Europe.

You will be able to get from US to around 70 cities for less than 500 dollar one way.

Wow....may I ask if you have ever used this airline?

We did our first Transatlantic last year, from Southampton to New York on the Breakaway. We bought round-trip tickets from Dallas (where we live) to New York (not too bad) and one-way New York to London on Icelandair (cheap for Tranaatlantic.)

We stayed extra nights in NYC both ways (wife has family and friends there) and extra nights in London, because it's London.

This year, we're doing the Epic's crossing from Miami to Barcelona, and ran up against your costly ticket issue - and after we booked the cruise! We called our PCC and the Norwegian Cruise Line add-on air was less than half of what the airlines were quoting. So, that's what we did this year.

Norwegian Air Shuttle (if using the long name, let's use complete one ;)) doesn't fly direct from Helsinki to anywhere else than European cities. All Norwegian longhaul flights have layover in Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen.

Wow....may I ask if you have ever used this airline?

Norwegian has taken quite good market share here in Finland what somes to European itineraries, but essentially they are a low-cost airline and pretty much everything onboard costs extra, luggage included. When traditional airlines aren't a possibility (like on oneway itineraries), they are quite a good alternative but I still stick with AA/BA/LH for my longhaul flights. ;)

Thank you! I appreciate all the advice. I will look into Iceland Air. Since the idea is to leave out if Barcelona, I may have to find him a cheapo ticket on Ryanair to get to a gate that one of the cheaper Airlines serve. I have found a flight on Air Lingus one way for under 800 flying into Canada. That would be a 5 hour drive home after that. Would be worth it

Edited by KiddieKruzer

We did Epic TA last April to Barcelona.

NCL booked the flight we requested (a non-stop to Miami at 11AM) and the price was 800 per person.

No muss, no fuss. It was on American Airlines.

That would be an option except my husband isn't cruising. He's meeting up with me after the cruise

Edited by KiddieKruzer

Absolutely check what the cruise line can offer you. Choice Air (celebrity) saved us over 60% over what I could book myself for our upcoming repositioning cruise for one way Santiago Chile to Raleigh North Carolina. Even more for our friends who return to Phoenix.

And it's high holiday season flights - we return home December 23rd!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile ap

Lots of good advice, esp. skyscanner.com, airberlin, icelandair and norwegianair, but you mentioned that you are cruising solo. Might the cost of a single cabin make your trip a lot more expensive? Just asking...

Yes, cruising solo. Epic solo cabins are very very reasonable for this cruise. Me airfare is 2x the amount of the cruise fare

We did a transatlantic last year and have one booked for this year. The one for this year is a 14 day cruise and we got a balcony for the price of an oceanview. TAs are generally cheap, we are paying about $800 pp for the cruise.

The one-way flight does take some planning. Last year, we did a TA on Celebrity Infinity from FLL to Harwich, UK. The flight home was one way from Heathrow to Miami, by way of CDG, Paris. Booked the air travel with choice-air (Celebrity) for a little over $600 per person. Kayak had flights on TAP (going through Lisbon) for the same price.

This year, we are taking the NCL Star on a cruise to Norway, Faroe Islands, etc, then B2B on the TA to Miami. Found one-way from Miami to Copenhagen for about $700 on kayak. Also, Icelandic Air had cheaper tickets.

Ultimately, we booked the one-way on USAIR using miles (60,000). USAIR doesn't allow one-way so you have to use miles for roundtrip, but if you are only using 30K for each, it is reasonable.

Would love to help but need a little more info. What is date or better a range of dates your DH is wanting to fly back. And assume preference would be Barcelona to Cleveland. Let me know and I'll check for you. Right now I am finding a cost from Barcelona to Cleveland $857 if a little flexible on day of travel.

I recently booked an October roundtrip from Washington DC to Barcelona in Premium Economy for about $1500 which would be $750 one way.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

Airfares are out of control, but people keep paying them so they're not going to come down any time soon -- if ever!

It's got to be considered part of the total vacation package and NOT a stand-alone cost.

We wanted to do a Mediterranean Cruise.

Cost of the cruise - $1,000 per person.

Cost of airfare - $1,200 per person.

Total vacation cost - $2,200 per person. If that's a workable total, we take the trip. If not, we move on. When thinking of the TOTAL cost, you can pretend the airfare is $200 and the cruise is $2,000 -- it doesn't matter!

That thinking has helped justify our flight choices.

For example, this year round-trip airfare could be had for $800, but we didn't want to have to change planes. So for $300 more per person we got direct flights there and back. Totally worth it to us.

If cost is the only concern, remember that the "agony" factor will go up as the price comes down (to quote my favorite flying chipmunk site). Consider being more flexible in your travel dates (we couldn't) and how many times you are OK with changing planes (we're not OK with that).

There were MUCH cheaper flights available if we would change planes 2 times each way.

It's a shame to have to pay those prices for generally declining service, but again -- it's part of the TOTAL cost of getting a way for a couple weeks....and totally worth it to us!

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Airfares are out of control, but people keep paying them so they're not going to come down any time soon -- if ever!

It's got to be considered part of the total vacation package and NOT a stand-alone cost.

We wanted to do a Mediterranean Cruise.

Cost of the cruise - $1,000 per person.

Cost of airfare - $1,200 per person.

Total vacation cost - $2,200 per person. If that's a workable total, we take the trip. If not, we move on. When thinking of the TOTAL cost, you can pretend the airfare is $200 and the cruise is $2,000 -- it doesn't matter!

That thinking has helped justify our flight choices.

For example, this year round-trip airfare could be had for $800, but we didn't want to have to change planes. So for $300 more per person we got direct flights there and back. Totally worth it to us.

If cost is the only concern, remember that the "agony" factor will go up as the price comes down (to quote my favorite flying chipmunk site). Consider being more flexible in your travel dates (we couldn't) and how many times you are OK with changing planes (we're not OK with that).

There were MUCH cheaper flights available if we would change planes 2 times each way.

It's a shame to have to pay those prices for generally declining service, but again -- it's part of the TOTAL cost of getting a way for a couple weeks....and totally worth it to us!

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Considering inflation, airfare prices are cheaper than they were years ago. I remember in the 90s when a RT ticket from Atlanta to Munich during the Summer would cost $1400. That was in 20 year old dollars, worth more than current dollars.

Would love to help but need a little more info. What is date or better a range of dates your DH is wanting to fly back. And assume preference would be Barcelona to Cleveland. Let me know and I'll check for you. Right now I am finding a cost from Barcelona to Cleveland $857 if a little flexible on day of travel.

I recently booked an October roundtrip from Washington DC to Barcelona in Premium Economy for about $1500 which would be $750 one way.

We'd like to return mid first week of August. A Wednesday/Thursday. I already know we won't be returning together. I found that flights into Toronto are cheaper and more direct than other airports within a 5 hour drive. Air Lingus was around 800$ one way (on a 757 :what: )

Again, my airfare is not the issue. .. I've factored that into the price of my vacation and I'm fine with the total price (airfare plus cruise). We were just trying to make a 2nd mini vacation if he could meet me after. US air companies are outrageous in their one way tix