Keurig Desktop

Rockymountainsparky

I don't know but you need to be very careful in terms of how much power it uses. The cabin electricity isn't like at home... you can use things that don't draw much power. Otherwise, you could blow a circuit for not just your cabin but others as well.

Generally, coffee makers are not allowed. People have brought really little ones in the past.

Generally, anything (other than hair care appliances) that has a heating element is not allowed. The auto-off switches on things like these coffee makers do not always work, as Mr. Coffee had a rash of house fires a few years back.

I have brought a one cup coffee maker with me that has no hot plate. It was not a problem. The small keurigs are basically the same thing; no heat and doesn't stay on unless you are using it. I would bring it and see what happens. I also bring a power strip with me. I hate having to go get coffee when I wake up or wait for room service, or choose when I'm going to get up to answer the door. Loved having the coffee in my room.

I have brought a one cup coffee maker with me that has no hot plate. It was not a problem. The small keurigs are basically the same thing; no heat and doesn't stay on unless you are using it. I would bring it and see what happens. I also bring a power strip with me. I hate having to go get coffee when I wake up or wait for room service, or choose when I'm going to get up to answer the door. Loved having the coffee in my room.

Won't dispute your success in bringing one, but there is a heating element, otherwise your coffee would be made with cold water. And the auto-off feature that is most worrying is the one that shuts the heater off when either the water is empty (carafe type), or the correct volume is dispensed (k-cup). I worry about shipboard fires as a profession, so my mileage may be different than yours, just pointing out the reasons they don't allow things.

There was a time a year or two ago that bringing a coffee maker was pretty common. People would bring a cheaper model and leave it in the cabin.

As long as it had the auto shut off. There was never an issue with it being confiscated.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Disembarking in San Pedro a couple of years ago there was a large table with a variety of electrical devices. This appeared to be a claim table for devices that had been confiscated at embarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You might have better luck with a French Press, but you still have to wait for Room Service to bring you hot water.

At the cost of a Keurig coffee maker, I'd sure hate to have it confiscated, then disappear before the end of cruise.

I had purchased flavored rum in San Juan, upon returning to the ship, they confiscated it, then couldn't find it at the end of the cruise.:confused:

You might have better luck with a French Press, but you still have to wait for Room Service to bring you hot water.

At the cost of a Keurig coffee maker, I'd sure hate to have it confiscated, then disappear before the end of cruise.

I had purchased flavored rum in San Juan, upon returning to the ship, they confiscated it, then couldn't find it at the end of the cruise.:confused:

The only place we could find "hot" water was the tap at the HC.

Room service hot drinks are warm at best. JMHO

If they hold something until the end of the cruise you are provided with a claim check.

They are still responsible even though its a banned item.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I would strongly advise against bringing a Keurig. We are boat owners and Keurig owners. It is amazing to see how much power it takes to make one cup of coffee. We basically have to turn everything else off and then sometimes run the engine just to brew a cup. Same thing with running the microwave. Unless of course we are at port and plugged in.

Thanks for everyones advise. The machine I'm thinking of is only 700 watts so that is less than half of the average hair dryer. Also, I wake up long before the coffee bar is open. Good coffee but I don't feel like waiting an hour then having to go get it.

The IC is open 24/7.

As Lynda90 said, the IC started staying open 24/7 when the HC started closing at 11:00pm/midnight. I have seen posts that in the hours that the HC is closed that fresh brewed coffee is free. I forgot to see if that was the case on our cruise earlier this month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Maybe I am just paranoid but hope that I am not on a cruise where someone "gets by with bringing household appliances" that are restricted. They are restricted for a reason. This is why I asked earlier if Princess allowed household appliances.

It is like the person saying they always bring an iron and never get caught...does that mean it is okay? A fire on a cruise ship is serious business.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Maybe I am just paranoid but hope that I am not on a cruise where someone "gets by with bringing household appliances" that are restricted. They are restricted for a reason. This is why I asked earlier if Princess allowed household appliances.

It is like the person saying they always bring an iron and never get caught...does that mean it is okay? A fire on a cruise ship is serious business.

I am sure if you knew about all the items that people actually bring onboard other then the micro percentage you read here on CC you would be even more paranoid.

I'm sorry... but is your cup of coffee worth jeopardizing the safety and lives of 3000-4000 other people? Clearly not. Princess has a policy that would ban items such as coffee makers. For the $33 it will cost you, buy an IC coffee card. Then you can also enjoy all those yummy specialty drinks.