Large Charter Groups Onboard ?

hammo

So, would it be the end of the world if your large group attempted to gather in the Sky only to find that it was already full with other passengers? Perhaps you should look to alternate ways to enjoy your own.

Honestly, yes it would affect the group, fortunately the groups work with the special groups departments that the cruise line has to reserve these spaces as needed, often paying a fee and guaranteeing minimum bar spends in those venues.

Honestly, I see it not much different that wanting a seat in Tuscan on the final night and trying to book it and finding its fully booked. So off to Murano. Or trying to book a reservation for the cruise and when I do find that late seating is already full, so I select early or select. It happens on cruises that aren't groups often. Of my 6 cruses so far, I haven't been able to get my preferred dining time on 3 of them, and so far as I could tell, wasn't group related. Of course YMMV.

X would be happy to work with others to reserve spaces as well - they have a price list someplace for this service.

Still comes down to 2000 passengers on a ship no matter where they come from.

Edited by cle-guy

Similar to this question is, how can you tell if a particular cruise is a "theme" cruise? The cruise on Reflection immediately prior to mine this year was the "Oak Ridge Boys, Rally at Sea". It didn't seem to be mentioned on the Celebrity site. How can you find something like this out in case you'd like to avoid such a sailing?

Similar to this question is, how can you tell if a particular cruise is a "theme" cruise? The cruise on Reflection immediately prior to mine this year was the "Oak Ridge Boys, Rally at Sea". It didn't seem to be mentioned on the Celebrity site. How can you find something like this out in case you'd like to avoid such a sailing?

I think roll-calls are good places to learn of groups. Normally someone in there will make mention especially if the group is large.

google theme crusies

google group cruises

use Facebook and search for your ship name and date and will likely find groups aboard

I've seen other posters include links to websites that supposedly give group information out, but I discovered the groups had to sign up for the service and self-post, so I wouldn't count on those to be very useful.

Cle-guy, I understand what your points are, but don't think you fully appreciate the effect of a large group on others.

You mention that things are coordinated ahead of time with the group person. But how about if you weren't able to do that and when you got on the ship you found out that you would not have access to late seating or the Sky lounge.

Would your group still book the cruise if you didn't know you could reserve those venues? I doubt it. Perhaps, then, non group people should be able to know about major restrictions when deciding if they want to book a particular cruise.

You made a reference to the effect that if people didn't like the way things are done they should go camping instead. Well, I am an avid cruiser-and camper. If I make a reservation at a campground, I would expect and appreciate knowing if there was a large group of polka enthusiasts who had reserved venues at the campground and had restricted my access to key segments of the grounds.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I think roll-calls are good places to learn of groups. Normally someone in there will make mention especially if the group is large.

google theme crusies

google group cruises

use Facebook and search for your ship name and date and will likely find groups aboard

I've seen other posters include links to websites that supposedly give group information out, but I discovered the groups had to sign up for the service and self-post, so I wouldn't count on those to be very useful.

Thanks, I asked because when I discovered this, I checked the roll call and couldn't find any mention of it - Thought that was odd. Anyway, I do like your suggestions and will try them. Thanks again.

You really can't, its hit or miss. There is one web site that will allow you to check however the way it is set up you have to go through any of a hundred or so options to possible find any group on the ship. They are broken down by each groups affinity. Even going through those sites I don't know how accurate it is.

Edited by dkjretired

Cle-guy, I understand what your points are, but don't think you fully appreciate the effect of a large group on others.

You mention that things are coordinated ahead of time with the group person. But how about if you weren't able to do that and when you got on the ship you found out that you would not have access to late seating or the Sky lounge.

Would your group still book the cruise if you didn't know you could reserve those venues? I doubt it. Perhaps, then, non group people should be able to know about major restrictions when deciding if they want to book a particular cruise.

You made a reference to the effect that if people didn't like the way things are done they should go camping instead. Well, I am an avid cruiser-and camper. If I make a reservation at a campground, I would expect and appreciate knowing if there was a large group of polka enthusiasts who had reserved venues at the campground and had restricted my access to key segments of the grounds.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

How about a small group affecting the entire cruise for everyone. May I refer to the famous or should I say infamous "American Girl." cruise from a couple of years ago.

We were on that cruise. We saw a lot of t-shirts and we got Elite vouchers rather than our last cocktail party, but otherwise we would never have known they were aboard.

I'd have known at booking if I was able to get into what dining room setting time and at this point, could make the decision to book or seek an alternate cruise or vacation if I couldn't get my preferred dining time. For me, preferred dining time isn't even in the top 20 things I seek in a cruise. Others, it MAY be paramount.

As I mentioned, 3 of my prior cruises I wasn't able to get my preferred seating, and as far as I could tell, no large groups were there. Just my luck of the draw. If Sky were closed, I'd move on to Martini, Rondezvous, Mast bar or wherever. If a group took over SKY, the ship would seek alternate venue for whatever entertainment they may have typically had planned in the space. I'd then come back to Sky when the group wasn't there at a different time of the day. That;s how I would (and have) handle these situations.

Captains club closes venues regularly on the cruise just like groups do. Should we disband all the Captain's Club elite events now too? BLU won't allow non Aqua or Suite guests in that space, should we close BLU?

No, I'm certain our group would not book if we couldn't get the venues. We'd take our dollars elsewhere to a line that would. Which as far as I can tell, every line out there caters to groups...speak with your dollars. Groups are part of cruising just like non-group travelers are part of cruising. If groups are a concern to a vacationer, then cruising isn't going to deliver 100% satisfaction on every sailing, maybe a land-based vacation better suits those who worry about Sky being closed at certain points of a cruise.

I'm sure you would appreciate knowing that, but I doubt there are any campgrounds who would pre-alert other campers making reservations about any large groups in the campground. And if there are, then you've discovered your perfect guaranteed vacation. Of course one always has the right to pack up and leave and find a campground with rules and regulations against groups and that prohibit noisiness, which I'm certain there probably are some that insist on quiet, and there are some that may not enforce quiet rules so often leaving one free to choose the best campground or vacation they want to suit their desires.

Anyone else interested in this... One trick is to google "theme cruises". I found a site that lists LOADS of them, by category. The Legends of Rock Cruise for instance which features bands such as Alice Cooper and Ten Years After (my second ever concert :p). I'm not sure of the rules about links so I won't provide it.

You really can't, its hit or miss. There is one web site that will allow you to check however the way it is set up you have to go through any of a hundred or so options to possible find any group on the ship. They are broken down by each groups affinity. Even going through those sites I don't know how accurate it is.

If it's the site I was once referred to, I found that the group had to self-register and promote themselves. So it's only good for those groups who need to advertise to the public really and stumble on that particular site to market thru. The group I traveled with, was not listed anywhere on that site is how I discovered it, and they have about 15 group cruises on X each year ranging from 30 to 900 depending on itinerary.

Edited by cle-guy

I agree that Celebrity should at least inform us of groups, say over 50 in number, on a sailing. We were on a Carribean cruise last fall with 3 very large wedding groups and a social group. Our dining table ended up in the middle of one of the wedding groups and our waiters were very distracted trying to deal with them as they wandered in at all times. And the special dining room was fully booked 4 of 7 nights by the wedding groups.

But the biggest issue for us was that the Activity Director and the Loyalty Person were completely tied up with the groups' special events. We got no Connections Party, almost no onboard activities, and areas and rooms would be closed to the general cruise pax.

So I'd have to say that yes, large groups do affect other non-group cruisers.

We too were on that cruise. It did seem they had the Sky Lounge reserved for much of the cruise...almost everytime we went by it was closed for a private function. I think they may have had special shows for the Oak Ridge Boys group in the Reflection Theatre but that was during the day. Other than a couple of band members looking like homeless people and some pax wearing t-shirts I did not see other evidence of them taking over other areas. There was also a group of Green Bay Packer fans and two players on board that had some meetings in the conference area.

There is a site theme cruise finder dot com where you can enter info and find out if a large group will be on board.

There is a site theme cruise finder dot com where you can enter info and find out if a large group will be on board.

This is the site I was referred to. It only lists cruises that those responsible for marketing the cruise have taken the time to register and keep it updated, so It's not going to be very accurate. It's really a marketing engine.

But it's certainly one of the tools one can use, but certainly don't rely on it. As I mentioned, the group I travel with does not use it and none of their 15 or so annual cruises a year on X are there.

We too were on that cruise. It did seem they had the Sky Lounge reserved for much of the cruise...almost everytime we went by it was closed for a private function. I think they may have had special shows for the Oak Ridge Boys group in the Reflection Theatre but that was during the day. Other than a couple of band members looking like homeless people and some pax wearing t-shirts I did not see other evidence of them taking over other areas. There was also a group of Green Bay Packer fans and two players on board that had some meetings in the conference area.

Thanks for some first hand insight into this - good to know.

Just got off Silhouette on April 6th, 2014. Here's a special interest group you don't see on a ship too often. There were approx. 20 motorbikes - Harleys, 'trikes', Kawasakis. Exit procession each port morning (one way to get priority first-off :) ). There was also a sewing group set up in a conference room, and a yacht group from Florida on a Commodore's Choice Cruise plus three weddings.

We asked the hotel director what would Celebrity say no to thinking that maybe the Snake Handlers of America would like to take a relaxing vacation - no animals allowed- but besides that we didn't get any kind of other restrictions mentioned.

Hey Cle-Guy

Care to enlighten us when your next group cruise will be so we can avoid it and give you some more space ? That would be the right thing to do wouldnt it.

Hey Cle-Guy

Care to enlighten us when your next group cruise will be so we can avoid it and give you some more space ? That would be the right thing to do wouldnt it.

Join the roll calls for any cruise you're considering and se where folks are coming from. Any cruise I'm on I'm in a roll call. Or read my signature. :D You can probably then infer a website name to check the annual calendar for since I can't post the link due to CC rule to get the other cruises part of that group.

Not sure how you'd give me more space by not coming on them, as your spot would be filled by another body anyway. It's 2000 people on a ship as I keep saying coming from may places and backgrounds.

It is the right thing, that's why I publicize in my Signature and join my roll calls to let folks know. Last year I had to break the news to a roll-call group that their cruise was just about to be fully chartered and they would be needing to look to rebook or book thru the charter company if they wanted to come.

Edited by cle-guy

Thanks Cle-Guy

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on the matter of groups such as yours booking 900 places out of 2000- 3000 on a cruise. The story about the 400 in the earlier post as well as several others in similar threads shows there is concern and sadly your idea of cruising is not mine . That does not mean I should "Go Camping" -- I will continue to cruise ( 16 so far ) and pray you are not on my roll-calls.:D No offence - You sound like a nice guy.

Despite what you say ,in my opinion,it does affect the quality of our cruise for those outside that large group and I am surprised you do not acknowledge that . I guess the evidence is in the realization that Celebrity do not want cruisers to know there is a large group onboard as they know most would avoid booking that cruise ! This is because the cruise experience is compromised by restricted access to areas , large crowds together making the Martini and Molecular Bars impossible , (same in the theater and pool areas.) ,restricted dining times as you mention booking entirely the late dinner seating ,etc etc. Anyway , as you say , its all about the bottom line , hey - and being a shareholder ! Pity us poor punters.

I am relieved that your group seems not to be on our upcoming cruise , although apparently we do have a large unknown group who have booked most inside and oceanview cabins out , so I will experience first hand the affect that has on my families cruise and be sure to let you know .

Thanks for the "heads Up" on your upcoming cruises , I am sure you will have a fantastic time and I hope everyone else onboard has the same.

By the way , I don't like camping , I am around 60 , and $ value IS always a consideration.:D::p Cheers

Join the roll calls for any cruise you're considering and se where folks are coming from. Any cruise I'm on I'm in a roll call. Or read my signature. :D You can probably then infer a website name to check the annual calendar for since I can't post the link due to CC rule to get the other cruises part of that group.

Not sure how you'd give me more space by not coming on them, as your spot would be filled by another body anyway. It's 2000 people on a ship as I keep saying coming from may places and backgrounds.

It is the right thing, that's why I publicize in my Signature and join my roll calls to let folks know. Last year I had to break the news to a roll-call group that their cruise was just about to be fully chartered and they would be needing to look to rebook or book thru the charter company if they wanted to come.

It's always interesting to see that those that are in "the group" think anything they do is fine....and those outside "the group" often find that the group is infringing on what they thought they booked which was an entire cruise with the use of all the facilities. BTW, that applies to the elites and the elite cocktail events as well as to the private groups.

If a group takes up a venue for the evening or books an entire seating....it's a problem for anyone not in the group. I try to avoid group cruises...and I do try to check for groups on the internet. Some groups are frankly wonderful. Most doctors are there for the vacation, not the training. The LGBT groups are great to cruise with. Unfortunately, then there are the american girls or corporate recognition groups which are another story....

For the most part, when a member of a group that takes over a dinner seating or venue says we don't disrupt anything, it's pretty myopic, IMHO