I am sorry, but the grass is plain silly

Bently57

We were aboard the Silhouette from Feb 23 to March 2, 2014 and found that 95% of the lawn was roped off, brown & unusable. We had friends with us from England who we had raved to about the lawn from our experience on the Equinox. WE were all Very disappointed. When we raised a comment to the hotel manager about it, his comment was it would be better by next week. To which we said we paid for this week not next week.

From the looks of it and skids of sod waiting to be put in place, I very much doubt it would have even been ready the following week.

If this space cannot be kept usable for all cruises then an alternative should be found. As another poster mentioned, artificial turf has come a very long way. It should probably be considered under the circumstances to guarantee the enjoyment of that area for all cruisers.

Absolutely.

The only open pool area (adults and kids together) is crowded and noisy. Seems most ships have crowded pool areas. The Solarium pool (although not "open to the elements") is a great place to get away from the kids, crowds, and noise.

The aft pool is one of important amenities that Celebrity is lacking. "Important"? To some, perhaps. Others - not.

Major mistakes were made some 7-8 years ago. "Major"?

Four ships have been built. Little can be changed now. Actually, there are five ships....

Different strokes for different folks. Sail with the cruise line you feel the most comfortable with.

Opinions are sacred to everyone....however they may differ from someone else's. :D

Hi Louis.....omg...I thought the exact same thing. My worst nightmare

sitting at a bar on a cruiseship in the Caribbean?:eek:...........

I think my elevator is not going all the way to the top or my deck

doesn't have all 52 cards in it....or maybe I am just slower than dirt

But I agree with you, I love having a cocktail out there:D

Oh yes, different strokes for different folks for sure:)....Glad we all choices~

Hi Lois, lol, all I can think of is the old comic strip 'Hi and lois"!!!

Yeah, life is tough out at the Sunset Bar, LOL. A real nightmare!!!:rolleyes:

I'd hate to fly from New England or the Midwest in February to the Caribbean and have to endure such conditions!:D As I said, the "crusade" by some continues, LOL!

I told you I found Carol and Bob on Facebook, right? Doing well, moved to a condo in Port St Lucie.

One of these days we'll cruise again!!!

Luigi

Hi Lois, lol, all I can think of is the old comic strip 'Hi and lois"!!!

Yeah, life is tough out at the Sunset Bar, LOL. A real nightmare!!!:rolleyes:

I'd hate to fly from New England or the Midwest in February to the Caribbean and have to endure such conditions!:D As I said, the "crusade" by some continues, LOL!

I told you I found Carol and Bob on Facebook, right? Doing well, moved to a condo in Port St Lucie.

One of these days we'll cruise again!!!

Luigi

oh wow..nope, you never told me you found them.......glad they

are doing well though!:)....A condo is probably a lot easier for them.

Association takes care of the outside!

Maybe if you were from above the Arctic circle and wanted grass and sun fine, for us and probably many other cruisers, a waste of space. Maybe all the so called comfort dogs and true working dogs would have a better place to, well enjoy LOL

One does not have to be a dog or above 60 lol. I found the nice green grass in the middle of the ocean quite a treat. Didn't have to cut it or nothin'

Put me down as just North of the 49th. :)

I do think the addition of the alcoves was a mistake, as it is not much of a money source, and interferes with the expansive feel of a half acre of green organic lawn. We've been on the Silhouette three times and never counted more than a couple of people using them. In addition, it's one more thing that creates a "class-system" feel,

Money source: In another thread I conservatively estimated that they bring in over a million $ per year per ship. In the grand scheme of things, that may not compare to the income generated selling cabins, selling liquor, or selling specialty restaurants, but if you owned a business and could increase your bottom line by $2M, I bet you'd do it. They were sold out on our cruise in Feb, but several were empty each day... not everyone who rents one uses it all day long, so just because you don't SEE people in them doesn't me they didn't generate income that day. ;)

As for the class system feel, what's the difference between renting an alcove and paying to eat in a specialty restaurant? Or visiting the spa? There are all kinds of things one can choose to partake in, or not.

I did take a walk on the grass area on a cruise. Empty area. Waste of space. Private alcoves seem silly. I can sit on my veranda if I want to be alone.

We can sit on our veranda too, but depending on the time of day and which direction the ship is facing, we have zero choice on our veranda as to whether we have sun or shade. With alcoves, we have far more choice. Also, in an alcove we can sit with friends, whereas our veranda only seats 2 people. We also have bar service in our alcove, which we don't have on our veranda, and we are just a short walk from Waves Grill to bring a burger back; more convenient than waiting for room service, although YMMV.

Oh, and I bet if they were free, suddenly all the people who say they're useless, a waste of space, have a terrible view because they face inward, or say their veranda is just good, would now be complaining because they DO want to use them and there aren't enough to go around.

Edited by waterbug123

Different strokes for different folks. Sail with the cruise line you feel the most comfortable with.

Opinions are sacred to everyone....however they may differ from someone else's.

The only open pool area (adults and kids together) is crowded and noisy. Seems most ships have crowded pool areas. The Solarium pool (although not "open to the elements") is a great place to get away from the kids, crowds, and noise.

The covered pool is not a place we cruise for in the Caribbean.

The aft pool is one of important amenities that Celebrity is lacking. "Important"? To some, perhaps. Others - not.

Important for the ship to give OPTIONS.

Major mistakes were made some 7-8 years ago. "Major"?

Lack of amenities that CLASSY (or even not so classy!) ships provide.

Four ships have been built. Little can be changed now. Actually, there are five ships....

Right. With the Reflection (modified S-Class) - yes.

Different strokes for different folks.

Possibly, but I talk about the ships, not folks. :D

Edited by cruisetrail

Money source:

As for the class system feel, what's the difference between renting an alcove and paying to eat in a specialty restaurant? Or visiting the spa? There are all kinds of things one can choose to partake in, or not.

Hi Meg,

The problem I had with the alcoves on the Silhouette -- the area was roped off and the only way you could approach the lawn was through the Lawn Grill, where they checked to see if you had rented an alcove. All others were not allow in the area. So just a few individuals had access to the entire lawn area.

The "general public" could only use the grass area on the port/starboard areas aft of the Lawn Grill.

This is not the way it's advertised with Celebrity. The lawn zones on the Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse are much nicer without those Alcoves (IMHO).

I like my cruise ships without a "gated" sub community. If I pay for Blu, or Murano, or Qsine, I don't block others from using the MDR.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

[/color]

Possibly, but I talk about the ships, not folks. :D

Yes, we know you don't like Reflection. We are talking about the people

who sail the ships. Just like you keep telling us....you are the person....

you are not happy with the S class. You said you worst nightmare

is sitting at the bar of the ship.

Some of us do like the ships. So, I will stand by my post of different

strokes......You like a full wrap around promenade deck. Other people

don't care if it is not offered.

Different strokes.......you can find a ship you like to sail and someone

else can find a ship they like to sail. Thaht is why there are different

ships for different people.

For some reason this person detests these ships but CONTINUES to post over and over about it here on the X board. Why?

I tried HAL once and found that it's akin to a floating retirement home but I don't go over to the HAL board to push my opinion. It wasn't for me and I moved on which is what a normal person would do. One has to wonder if this person has a personal agenda against Celebrity?

Hi Lois:D

I think there are a few of here that agree with you. ;)

When we assess ships design we hear that we should cruise on other ships. Why?

Why switching topic? We are not asking about where we should cruise. We are talking about the ship.

If you buy a new home and the house appears to have no kitchen (or ventilation, etc. ...) - how would you rate this property?

Who on Earth can state that

- proper promenade deck,

- observation deck,

- separate open pool area for adults,

- hydropool,

- proper afternoon tea

are contraindicated for Celebrity?

Can you state that? :)

Edited by cruisetrail

Hi Meg,

The problem I had with the alcoves on the Silhouette -- the area was roped off and the only way you could approach the lawn was through the Lawn Grill, where they checked to see if you had rented an alcove. All others were not allow in the area. So just a few individuals had access to the entire lawn area.

The "general public" could only use the grass area on the port/starboard areas aft of the Lawn Grill.

This is not the way it's advertised with Celebrity. The lawn zones on the Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse are much nicer without those Alcoves (IMHO).

I like my cruise ships without a "gated" sub community. If I pay for Blu, or Murano, or Qsine, I don't block others from using the MDR.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Well said. At this rate every area on S Class ships will be out of bounds to all but those who pay more or who have a certain status.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we assess ships design we hear that we should cruise on other ships. Why?

Why switching topic? We are not asking about where we should cruise. We are talking about the ship.

If you buy a new home and the house appears to have no kitchen (or ventilation, etc. ...) - how would you rate this property?

Who on Earth can state that

- proper promenade deck,

- observation deck,

- hydropool,

- proper afternoon tea

Can you state that? :)

This is the perfect example, everyone knows this is the way the Celebrity S-Class ships are designed. What is there to talk about? Over and over and over, it is not going to magically be rearranged. These are not reasons for some of us to not sail the S-Class, no big deal. We don't care nor want to asses the design anymore.

Not everyone!

You and me, and a few Celebrity fans is not everyone.

Most cruisers that are being bombarded by ads about 5* "modern luxury" (and other ads by other cruise lines) have little idea of how cruise ships comapare.

The same question to you then..:)

I didn't switch topics......I said, different strokes for different folks.

That means there are some cruiselines and ships people like and some

people don't like.

I give up on this one...

I will just unsubsribe from this thread now and not answer again.

Not everyone!

You and me, and a few Celebrity fans is not everyone.

Most cruisers that are being bombarded by ads about 5* "modern luxury" (and other ads by other cruise lines) have little idea of how cruise ships comapare.

The same question to you then..:)

We took our first cruise in 1987, did not find and join Cruise Critic till 2003, that is 16 years of sailing without the 'wisdom' imparted to the unknowing masses not on CC. One of the agency we used in Dallas had a small theater style room where we watched videos about the different ships. The sales rep's all specialized in different cruise lines, much like the separate boards for each line here on CC.

We would sit and get the conversations going with them just as we do here on CC. We were very well informed about how cruise ships compared. We did not then, nor now, blindly follow the pied piper nor act like children in willie wonkas chocolate factory, we did our due diligence on the next ship we wanted to sail.

Which is why after 25 years we have come to the conclusion that when everything falls in line the ships and product presented by RCCL thru the Celebrity product is our first choice.

Wallie, the tiresome crusade goes on and on and on, like the battery bunny. If someone hates Celebrity so bad and hate's the ships so bad, why not go home and haunt another cruise line thread????

Or better yet, design your own and submit it to all the major cruises lines. I'm sure they'd be cutting steel for that design ASAP. After all, he has all the answers.................:rolleyes:

Lois had the right idea..............

Wallie, the tiresome crusade goes on and on and on, like the battery bunny. If someone hates Celebrity so bad and hate's the ships so bad, why not go home and haunt another cruise line thread????

Or better yet, design your own and submit it to all the major cruises lines. I'm sure they'd be cutting steel for that design ASAP. After all, he has all the answers.................:rolleyes:

Lois had the right idea..............

I get it, but if a new person comes looking for ideas and all they get are those from someone who does not even sail the line, says the ships are an arm pit of cruising, Lois and Louis just get your popcorn and hang around!

We were on the Reflection last June- I will say that the lawn area was pretty-

But I thought it was too large an area for it-- The cabanas there, I felt were kind of stupid, for lack of a better word. All over the ship were very comfortable seating areas included in the price of the cruise. We attended the one outdoor concert-- on our sailing, most of the entertainers were very good. There was one singing group where the lead singer was really horrible and actually gave me a headache. Naturally that was the only group assigned to do a concert on lawn. DH and I looked at each other and got up and got out of the area fast.

The cruise itself was great- IMHO I would get rid of cabanas, cut the lawn area in half (and use a top grade artificial one instead-- have one area of my backyard with that, looks and feels like the rest of my yard) and have the space open like a park----

I didn't switch topics......I said, different strokes for different folks.

That means there are some cruiselines and ships people like and some

people don't like.

I give up on this one...

I will just unsubsribe from this thread now and not answer again.

It's amazing how difficult it is to answer a simple question:

Can you state that

- proper promenade deck,

- observation deck,

- hydropool,

- proper afternoon tea

Absolutely amazing.:confused::confused:

We took our first cruise in 1987, did not find and join Cruise Critic till 2003, that is 16 years of sailing without the 'wisdom' imparted to the unknowing masses not on CC. One of the agency we used in Dallas had a small theater style room where we watched videos about the different ships. The sales rep's all specialized in different cruise lines, much like the separate boards for each line here on CC.

We would sit and get the conversations going with them just as we do here on CC. We were very well informed about how cruise ships compared. We did not then, nor now, blindly follow the pied piper nor act like children in willie wonkas chocolate factory, we did our due diligence on the next ship we wanted to sail.

Which is why after 25 years we have come to the conclusion that when everything falls in line the ships and product presented by RCCL thru the Celebrity product is our first choice.

So it won't be difficult for you to answer a question:

Can you state that

- proper promenade deck,

- observation deck,

- hydropool,

- proper afternoon tea

Thanks.