Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

Ann,would I be correct that a taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook would run about $ 16,pp or per taxi?

You can see in Madimorg's nice review of their day on Sapphire that a taxi is $11 to Sapphire and $12 to Bolongo so Red Hook would be $12pp max.

• 1 month later...

More sun...they will typically give you a discount for multiple passengers traveling with you...used to be a dollar. Haven't taken the taxi from Crown Bay in a long time since they won't leave before they are completely full. We started using the ships excursion "St John on Your Own" the past few times we've docked in Crown Bay. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But that sign doesn't post fare to Red Hook.

No it doesn't, but my point is the Crown Bay fares aren't easily found...

But because RH is between Bolongo @ $9 and Sapphire @ $11 I'm guessing the cost there is $10 - $11 for 2 or more ppl...

I see I posted the 1-person price below for Bolongo - sorry moresun!

The taxi rates were established before Crown Bay was developed as a cruise port so fares are not found on official posted rates.

When a destination isn't on the posted rates taxi drivers have some flexibility as to the charge. The charge to Red Hook should/could be from $11-12 per person each way for a public, not private, taxi that holds from 10-20 passengers.

A ferry is supposed to be operational in September from Crown Bay to St. John. It was briefly operational in June, but met with protest from the taxi operators and other folks with interest in having you head to Red Hook or take their tours. So disregard the June 1st date listed here. The latest information is that this will be operational in September. Check and see.

18403581_1185043444956536_7514029092440678323_n.jpg?oh=ef6c6efda5a4108b7da16a04a44703ea&oe=5A128BA2

I can see this being a popular option with many day visitors docking at Crown and at Havensight who usually book through the ship. But with the longer and rougher ferry ride, only one 9 AM departure option, and the good chance for a stop at Havensight we would still taxi to Red Hook and ferry from there. And I don't see an estimated time for the ferry ride but assuming it's 45 minutes (55 minutes with a stop at WICO) anyone sailing before 6 PM would not be able to buy a round trip fare, and the one-way fare is comparable to the taxi and Red Hook ferry...

[EDIT] It will be a popular option for land visitors getting to STJ from the airport and back when the timing works for them...

I can see this being a popular option with many day visitors docking at Crown and at Havensight who usually book through the ship. But with the longer and rougher ferry ride, only one 9 AM departure option, and the good chance for a stop at Havensight we would still taxi to Red Hook and ferry from there. And I don't see an estimated time for the ferry ride but assuming it's 45 minutes (55 minutes with a stop at WICO) anyone sailing before 6 PM would not be able to buy a round trip fare, and the one-way fare is comparable to the taxi and Red Hook ferry...

[EDIT] It will be a popular option for land visitors getting to STJ from the airport and back when the timing works for them...

And VI government supposed to start a water taxi in a few months so there may be more options. I prefer the reliability of taxi to Red Hook and Red Hook ferry if ship doesn't offer an excursion.

But then you will also have to taxi back to the cruise ship dock at the end of the day when traffic on St. Thomas can be awful.

Karen, love your signature! I made cards using a line from that song. "I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance" using a photo I took of the Jamaica Blue Mountains. Been meaning to make one for the dance line.

I think the new water taxi at Crown Bay will appeal to residents who live or work on the west side of St Thomas. They need more services.

But then you will also have to taxi back to the cruise ship dock at the end of the day when traffic on St. Thomas can be awful.

No worries, the taxis make this trek from the East End beaches and Red Hook back to Havensight and Crown pretty routinely, you just need to take an early enough ferry back from Cruz Bay. As with any excursion, DIY or otherwise, just allow a little extra time for the traffic and any potential eventualities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone ~ not sure everyone is aware of the destruction Hurricane Irma caused on the islands of St. John and St. Thomas. Many business, restaurants, villas, boats & vehicles have been destroyed. It's going to take some time for the islands to come back after this storm. As I learn more from friends who live on St. John, I'll post here but I fear the news will not be good for some time to come.

Please keep the folks who live down there in your thoughts and prayers.

Hi everyone ~ sorry I haven't been back with an update before now. Spent the past week coming back out of hurricane mode (we were SOOO fortunate) and being glued to reports coming out of St. John. There really aren't words to describe the devastation. But I can tell you that the resilience and strength of those that live on the island and those who are committed to seeing it heal and once again return to a special place is nothing short of remarkable.

Everyone there is working together to restore and rebuild, but it's a daunting task. So many lost everything ... from homes, boats, cars and businesses. Beyond the natural beauty, I love St. John because of her people. They've enriched our lives, made us laugh, feel like family. I want them to recover.

Hoping that the restoration of the islands happen quickly as they need us to return for them to thrive once again.

With another storm heading their way, prayers that this one misses them. More to come as we have additional information.

Thanks for the update Anne.

It's hard to get any news on the Islands.

Lots of news about Florida but then I think there are also MANY more resources available for Florida.

My heart breaks for the islanders who have lost their homes and their way to make a living.

A good friend of mine has been living on St. John since he retired years ago, building his dream home there. WHile they survived, their house was destroyed. He recently posted a picture that showed that they still have ehir humor intact, showing their car on its side next to what remained of their home. His wife's first comment was that she didn't remember parking it that way.