Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

Host Anne, Thanks so much for all the great info! I will be tendering from the Azamara Quest to St.John in March. Would the tender be to the Cruz Bay ferry terminal dock? If so, from there I was thinking of walking the Lind Point Trail and choosing between Salomon Bay, Honeymoon and Caneel Bay Beaches. Any thoughts?

Host Anne, Thanks so much for all the great info! I will be tendering from the Azamara Quest to St.John in March. Would the tender be to the Cruz Bay ferry terminal dock? If so, from there I was thinking of walking the Lind Point Trail and choosing between Salomon Bay, Honeymoon and Caneel Bay Beaches. Any thoughts?

You will tender into Cruz Bay, but not the Red Hook ferry dock - you'll go into a nearby area between US CBP and the National Park visitors center. It's used by dinghies from private boats and ferries traveling to and from the BVIs so it's a bit quieter. It also works in your favor, because it's that much closer to the Lind Point trailhead.

jruben ~ gmoney is correct....you'll tender into the National Park dock which is just north of the Cruz Bay passenger ferry dock where the ferries from Red Hook arrive. It's a short walk from there to the Lind Pt. Trail. Solomon and Honeymoon are beautiful You can stop in the National Park office and pick up a trail map if you don't pull one from the internet before you arrive. You can also walk across to Mongoose Junction and grab some sandwiches from the North Shore Deli before heading to the beach. Call ahead and place your order so it's ready when you arrive http://www.mongoosejunctionstjohn.com/stores/northshoredeli.html

ENJOY....would love to hear how you like Quest....it's on my short list!

We will be visiting St. Thomas on March 8 on the Regal Princess and will be in port from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. As far as I can tell, we will be docked at Havensight, and we have a group of 8 who are heading to St. John for the day and a tour with Starfish Tours. Does anyone know if a taxi can be prebooked for our group or should be able to find one easily once we disembark to take us to Red Hook? Since we have an extra long day in St. Thomas, we are hoping to spend most of our time on St. John and should have plenty of time to enjoy the tour and relax and enjoy afterwards as well.

My main concern is getting a taxi for our group - or shouldn't I worry? Thanks for any advice you can give!!

If you make a reservation you save time, because the taxi is waiting for you so you don't have to wait for a taxi to fill up and maybe make stops along the way to Red Hook.

There are many good taxi drivers on St Thomas, but you may want to contact Clover Fleming at yamflem@yahoo.com. Very nice lady!

If you make a reservation you save time, because the taxi is waiting for you so you don't have to wait for a taxi to fill up and maybe make stops along the way to Red Hook.

There are many good taxi drivers on St Thomas, but you may want to contact Clover Fleming at yamflem@yahoo.com. Very nice lady!

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will reach out to her and give her all our info and go from there!

Thanks!

If she's not available she'll probably recommend someone else. If not post and I'll ask my friends on St Thomas for other recommendations.

I have emailed her already so hopefully I will hear from her before long....I will keep you posted on our success. Thank you again - I really appreciate your help and info!

Hi Worry ~ no worries....Cinnamon has rentals although I'm not sure about umbrellas. I'll be there this week and check for you. You really don't see beach umbrellas on St. John beaches. The North Shore beaches (of which Cinnamon is one) does have quite a few places where you can place beach chairs in natural shade. We are normally able to find a shady place. I'll check on the umbrellas for you and I'll see if I can find a photo for you so you know what the shady areas look like.

By the way, it is truly beautiful!

Truly appreciative Host Anne! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I've read so much information about a day trip to St. John that my head is spinning! Thank you though ... for such great information. My husband and I are leaning towards doing the taxi ... red hook ferry ....taxi approach for our trip to St. John. We will arrive on the RCCL ship Oasis in April and be in St. Thomas from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. I believe that we will be the only ship that day. (April 19th) We will be docked at Crown. I have a few questions:

1. Will Trunk be crazy crowded by the time we could get there with such a late docking time?

2. Should we just grab a taxi once we arrive in St. Thomas or would a private taxi be a better option at this late time. (11:00 a.m.)

3. Would one of the RCCL excursions to St. John be a better option for us given the time of our arrival. The options are:

- St. Johns ultimate Island & National Park Beaches (6 hrs 30 mins)

- St. John Exclusive Honeymoon Beach Breack (6 hours)

- (I didn't see the St. Johns on your own as an option)

I like the ease of being able to take a ferry close to our ship and the guarantee of making it back to the ship with the RCCL excursions, however, I have heard stories of these RCCL excursions leaving late and of precious St. John time waisted while waiting to corral a big group back to port. Our main concern is being able to spend as much time in St. John as possible while making it back with enough time to not be nervous of getting back to our ship.

4. If we go on our own, which ferry should we take back? T he 4:00 p.m. one or the 5:00 p.m.?

Sorry for all the questions, but any information you can give me would be very appreciated.

Host Anne, all you information has been amazing. We have been to St. Thomas many times, but never St. John. We are thinking of taking the taxi to Red Hook, then water taxi to St. John ( Cruz Bay ). I think we will just check out the restaurants and bars and shopping. Is there a beach within walking distance to where the water taxi lets you off? I think I recall reading that the water taxi runs on the hour every hour. Is it easy to catch the water taxi back or is it usually packed? I would hate to get there and have a hard time getting back. Our ship is docking at Havensight if that makes any distance.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dan

Edited by Daniel1313

Daniel: There is a small beach right at the ferry dock (not water taxi). There is a beach bar called...the Beach Bar where you can order your drinks and sit on the beach. Lots of shopping and other bars/restaurants in the town area. The ferry may be crowded, but unless you are there on some special occasion, you shouldn't have trouble. P.S. The workers generally take the 4 or 5 o'clock back, making those more busy.

I've read so much information about a day trip to St. John that my head is spinning! Thank you though ... for such great information. My husband and I are leaning towards doing the taxi ... red hook ferry ....taxi approach for our trip to St. John. We will arrive on the RCCL ship Oasis in April and be in St. Thomas from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. I believe that we will be the only ship that day. (April 19th) We will be docked at Crown. I have a few questions:

1. Will Trunk be crazy crowded by the time we could get there with such a late docking time?

2. Should we just grab a taxi once we arrive in St. Thomas or would a private taxi be a better option at this late time. (11:00 a.m.)

3. Would one of the RCCL excursions to St. John be a better option for us given the time of our arrival. The options are:

I like the ease of being able to take a ferry close to our ship and the guarantee of making it back to the ship with the RCCL excursions, however, I have heard stories of these RCCL excursions leaving late and of precious St. John time waisted while waiting to corral a big group back to port. Our main concern is being able to spend as much time in St. John as possible while making it back with enough time to not be nervous of getting back to our ship.

4. If we go on our own, which ferry should we take back? T he 4:00 p.m. one or the 5:00 p.m.?

Sorry for all the questions, but any information you can give me would be very appreciated.

St. John on Your Own is Available on the Adventure.

Enjoy a narrated ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southern coast, then shop, sightsee or snorkel the azure waters of St. John. Armed with your island information package, you'll spend 4-1/2 hours freely exploring the beautiful isle. Swim at a local beach, see the "Arawak" archaeological site, or follow the snorkel trail at Trunk Bay. Browse boutiques or dine in Cruz Bay. STO3

$39

• 3 weeks later...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

St. John on Your Own is Available on the Adventure.

Enjoy a narrated ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southern coast, then shop, sightsee or snorkel the azure waters of St. John. Armed with your island information package, you'll spend 4-1/2 hours freely exploring the beautiful isle. Swim at a local beach, see the "Arawak" archaeological site, or follow the snorkel trail at Trunk Bay. Browse boutiques or dine in Cruz Bay. STO3

$39

Did you take this excursion? I'm going in April and need specific details. Same questions you originally had. I want to go to a beach to swim, no need to shop. Anyone tell me specifics of the best Oasis excursion to take for this, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Parrothead ~ we went to St. John on our own when we were on Koningsdam in mid January. Not much has changed. Taxi to Red Hook from our ship at Havensight was $12 per person. Ferry was $7 and taxi on St. John to Cinnamon Bay was $7. You'll need to double those for round trip pricing.

Most of the improvements at Cinnamon were complete (I didn't stay at the beach....just dropped off our friends). The water was very rough the day we were on the island so people weren't going in the water (unless you like taking risks....there's always some of those).

I had a gift to exchange so we went to Mongoose Junction, then stopped for a drink at Woody's (a famous bar on island) and then lunch at High Tides right next to the ferry dock.

We'll be heading back in about two months for an extended stay so if anyone has specific questions they'd like to me answer, post them and I'll write while we are there.

Parrothead ~ we went to St. John on our own when we were on Koningsdam in mid January. Not much has changed. Taxi to Red Hook from our ship at Havensight was $12 per person. Ferry was $7 and taxi on St. John to Cinnamon Bay was $7. You'll need to double those for round trip pricing.

Most of the improvements at Cinnamon were complete (I didn't stay at the beach....just dropped off our friends). The water was very rough the day we were on the island so people weren't going in the water (unless you like taking risks....there's always some of those).

I had a gift to exchange so we went to Mongoose Junction, then stopped for a drink at Woody's (a famous bar on island) and then lunch at High Tides right next to the ferry dock.

We'll be heading back in about two months for an extended stay so if anyone has specific questions they'd like to me answer, post them and I'll write while we are there.

Just for clarification regarding Anne's comment about the water being rough, during January all beaches throughout the BVI and STJ and STT were experiencing high surf, rip currents, and areas of flooding as well. That has since subsided, and through the webcams you can see beaches like Sapphire on STT, White Bay on Jost, and CGB on Tortola are looking very calm. There will still be surges, and especially during the winter months. But the recent incident was very expansive and affected most of the beaches.