What is there to do in Colon Panama

Roadrunner002

My wife and I are embarking on our first cruise on Celebrity Infinity in April. We have found enough information about the other ports on the cruise but information about Colon seems limited. Is there anything to do there?

We would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you

I would suggest that any tour in this port should be a ship tour only. The port is tightly controlled. No place outside of the fenced area is recommended to explore on your own. Any place outside of that area is rough at best. Laws and customs of the locals may be upsetting to many. Local drugs, legal prostitution and a major part of the population trying to make a buck are very unpredictable. Don't take the chance. We did once. Never again. Harry :cool:

A guidebook would be helpful...then you can decide which stuff you want to do. There truly is nothing if you don't do an excursion....the locals will hassle you in unstoppable fashion! For example, an old man followed us, wanting to shine our shoes....however, we were only wearing flip-flops!....had to give him a dollar just to get rid of him!

Last summer in Infinity, we did the canal expansion tour. But I remember there being an area with shops outside the terminal and inside were more shops, plus a big electronics shop. And an elevated walkway back to the ship. And free wifi, I think. EM

I would suggest that any tour in this port should be a ship tour only. The port is tightly controlled. No place outside of the fenced area is recommended to explore on your own. Any place outside of that area is rough at best. Laws and customs of the locals may be upsetting to many. Local drugs, legal prostitution and a major part of the population trying to make a buck are very unpredictable. Don't take the chance. We did once. Never again. Harry :cool:

Yes thank you.

We were in Colon a few years ago. You definitely want to take a ship excursion. We didn't take an excursion, and just got off the ship and wandered the shopping area. It isn't very good, and the area outside the gate is port/industrial warehouses. I would do a canal tour if you aren't going to get the chance again. We didn't, because we are going to sail through the locks. :) Have a great trip.

By now you know the ship docks in and the only thing to do in Colon is start and end your shore excursion:D! Don't let the negative vibes about Colon cause you to stay a board the ship and miss what Panama has to offer... there are some unique shore excursions available.

The most obvious is of course the partial transit through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Gives you a great look at the Canal.

Visit the Embera Indians, this tour is also very popular, probably the closest most will get to a National Graphic experience.

The Shaping of Panama, see some of the countryside and a tour of Panama City. You won't believe Colon and Panama City are even in the same country.

Edit to add: Take a tour and see Gatun Locks and a stop at the new expansion locks that are under construction.

If you enjoy railroads... take a trip on the world's fastest... uh, make that the quickest transcontinental railroad. Enjoy a trip on the Panama Railroad... usually one way by train and the other by bus... pleasant scenery.

Lots to do and you probably heard the saying..."Get off the dam ship!" Oops... you are only supposed to say that if you are on Holland America;).

Edited by BillB48

Isn't Colon where you can get a train that takes you to the Pacific them back? I'd say do this as a ship's tour. You should be able to find what tours are available by going to the ship's web site.

In general you can only do this as a ship's tour, since the only passenger service they presently offer is a commuter service that leaves Panama around 7 AM and returns around 5 PM M-F. Depending on the number of people opting for this shore excursion the tour can operate in a number of ways. (1) You may travel from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side by train and return by bus, (2)travel to the Pacific side by bus, returning by train or (3) by train in both directions.

PS: I'm sure everyone probably could figure out that I meant National Geographic up there in post #12. Not enough caffeine and spell check could not read my mind!

Edited by BillB48

Many thanks to all for your valuable advice. I started off with no knowledge of Colon and now thanks to you all there is an abundance of information to be had.

If our fellow cruisers on the Infinity are as helpful and friendly we are going to have a fantastic time.

Thank you all

We took a private tour with Garceth Cunampio, a native Embera. We visited the same village that was featured on "The Amazing Race" and it was amazing! An authentic experience- in that our trip was far down the river and reached by motorized dugout canoe, the people were dressed in traditional garb, food was prepared over fire and served in plaintain leaves and we participated in a traditional dance with the tribe. From what I understand, ship tours go to a commercialized village.

We were transported via van to the river and back. Those who'd signed up for the ship tour had their excursion cancelled due to rain, but the drizzle we encountered on our canoe ride back added to the experience.

About 6 years ago, we did an excursion on the Panama Railway company, we boarded a cruise passengers only railcar from Colon, and crossed the Isthmus to Panama City on the Pacific, only approx. 56 miles, it follows the banks of the canal wherever possible. We stopped at the Mira Flores Locks and went to the observation deck to watch the transit of the ships. Then a coach tour in Panama, on the way back to Colon, we had some Panamanian girls entertain all of us. We still had time to look around the Markets upon return. It was a good day

IMG_1198a.jpg.ce7200525b10dc12ecb35322aecc2e45.jpg

IMG_1207a.jpg.449ffbc3530e0d2a5c1371a88cbd7bd0.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg.9a14714d26cdceb60177af91877557de.jpg