Photo Id to get on ship at ports

cruzinlisa

We are leaving today on constellation going to Cozumel and key west. Yesterday morning we checked out of our park and fly hotel and arrived at airport. As we are checking in a and getting boarding passes, she asks for i.d. So Dh discovers that the insert in his wallet with his drivers license and other state Id is missing!

Thankfully we have passports so those work. But once we get on the ship I leave them in the safe because it's our ticket back home and now his only Id.

I do not want to start a debate about taking you passport in port- it's not something I want to do unless absolutely necessary (esp in Mexico where we have a beach day planned).

But I am worried about whether he needs a photo Id to get back into port area to get on the ship? Does anyone have specific experience with Cozumel and key west? If it is necessary is there anything besides Drivers license or passport that would work? He has his work Id (state of Missouri department of corrections) which has a photo but it looks about like a school Id or a copy of passport

If none will work we may not get off in Cozumel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are leaving today on constellation going to Cozumel and key west. Yesterday morning we checked out of our park and fly hotel and arrived at airport. As we are checking in a and getting boarding passes, she asks for i.d. So Dh discovers that the insert in his wallet with his drivers license and other state Id is missing!

Thankfully we have passports so those work. But once we get on the ship I leave them in the safe because it's our ticket back home and now his only Id.

I do not want to start a debate about taking you passport in port- it's not something I want to do unless absolutely necessary (esp in Mexico where we have a beach day planned).

But I am worried about whether he needs a photo Id to get back into port area to get on the ship? Does anyone have specific experience with Cozumel and key west? If it is necessary is there anything besides Drivers license or passport that would work? He has his work Id (state of Missouri department of corrections) which has a photo but it looks about like a school Id or a copy of passport

s

Get guest relations to make a copy of your passport.

Only in US ports such as St Thomas is a photo ID required on your itinerary.

I would hope the cruise card suffices since it is automatically matched to your photo taken when you board.

Unless, you are inquiring about a civilian/government check before walking up the gangway.

Amazing, the requirement of a photo ID here but not when you vote!

Yes I am talking about at the gangway. I don't remember having to show it in Cozumel before but perhaps we did.

Key west is a US port. Will he need a photo Id there? If we gave to take it in KW it's okay just not my preference. I am not as worried about it there as in Mexico ( and this will be my 5th time in Mexico so I can say that)

Do you think his work Id will work at all?

Thanks for the quick replies. I am stressed!

But it's my testimonial for cruising with passport otherwise this post would be about last minute cancelation

Sadly both Key West and Cozumel (my expereinces atleast) require Photo ID to get back on the peir along with your cruise card.

Personally I think the photo ID is a bit overkill, but no one ever said all laws/rules had to make sense.

Edited by bradpole

In Cozumel two weeks ago they were only checking Sea Pass cards not photo id. I've never had an issue using a photocopy of my passport where ID was required

Relax, enjoy your cruise but remember to max the guilt extraction gift from DH

I didn't take photo ID when we went ashore at Key West but DH did. They refused to let me past the port gates and DH had to go back to the ship and get my ID out of the safe before they would let me into the port area. You would have to check if a photo copy of your passport would be accepted. We were not asked at Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would use his work ID, remember it is issued by an official state government, just as a drivers license is. . I have used my Police ID on other occasions and because it is issued by the government it is acceptable. I am sure that somewhere along the trip you will need the ID at one of the ports.

i don't think there is any specific requirement of exactly WHAT photo i.d. is acceptable.

Remember, this is NOT to board the ship where they scan your card, but to access the pier, and they want a photo id just to verify who you are.

Then when you get to the ship you need your cruise card.

Take your ID and whatever ID he has. If for some reason they won't let him back on the pier, which I doubt, then you go on the ship, into the safe and get his passport. Walk back to the pier and give it to him. Most that should take is 15 - 20 minutes. So don't get to worried as the worse case is an extra 20 minutes at the pier.

Remember, these folks look at every kind of ID available. You really think they'd turn away a Dept of Corrections ID? They probably have no idea what half the ID's are they look at, let alone if they are real.

Have fun and don't worry about it.

Thanks everyone. We are on board now and love it. Celebrity is amazing. We left our hotel room at 10 and were on board in less than an hour which included checking out of the hotel and wait for a cab. We are in an aqua class room and very impressed. I just wish the daiquiris were not made with a dark rum- it ruins them

Have a wonderful time now that you're on board. It's a lovely ship - we've sailed on her a couple times. You know, if you want them to use a light rum, just ask!

And have one for all of us while you're at it. We're back home with nearly 7 months until we next get on board Equinox.

...... I've never had an issue using a photocopy of my passport where ID was required
Same here.

Some ports require a photo ID to re-enter the port area and some don't.

Not a concern if you just keep a photocopy of your passport with your seapass card when you leave the ship.

In case of loss or theft, the photocopy is so much faster and easier to replace than a lost or stolen passport or driver's license.

If it is a port where you need to take your actual passport off the ship with you, they let you know.

Dumb question can you use an old expired passport for ID ? I just had my old expired passport return to me today. Can this be used?
Unfortunately for many of us, we no longer look anything at all like we did in the photo on our old expired passports.

After 10 years, I barely even resemble the photo on my current passport and have had agents look down at the photo and then back up at me in close scrutiny several times recently when trying to use my passport as photo ID to board an airplane. :D

Maybe if I sign up for some sessions with that lady who offers the youth rejuvenation treatments on the cruise ships......... ;)

Edited by fleckle

Yes I am talking about at the gangway. I don't remember having to show it in Cozumel before but perhaps we did.

Key west is a US port. Will he need a photo Id there? If we gave to take it in KW it's okay just not my preference. I am not as worried about it there as in Mexico ( and this will be my 5th time in Mexico so I can say that)

Do you think his work Id will work at all?

Thanks for the quick replies. I am stressed!

But it's my testimonial for cruising with passport otherwise this post would be about last minute cancelation

Key West they will ask for a photo ID but if one of you has one the security people will let you in, been there done that.