Traffic in order to arrive at Cape Liberty and Parking at the Port

rkacruiser

I want to thank all for the information as to how to reach Port Liberty. The traffic advisories recently posted by 138east have been very useful in helping me to come to a decision. I have been considering a Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Summit after our family's get-together in Maryland. But, with what I have been reading in the advisories, I am not going to book a cruise from Port Liberty if I expect to drive to the port.

I want to thank all for the information as to how to reach Port Liberty. The traffic advisories recently posted by 138east have been very useful in helping me to come to a decision. I have been considering a Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Summit after our family's get-together in Maryland. But, with what I have been reading in the advisories, I am not going to book a cruise from Port Liberty if I expect to drive to the port.

The Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda departs on Sunday, the day of the week with by far the lightest traffic.

I suspect if you hadn't read everything posted so far on this topic and booked and took your cruise you wouldn't have the slightest idea that a major highway was closed. Maybe you would complain about traffic moving more slowly than normal for a couple of miles.

Every time I drive to Maryland (I have family there) I encounter traffic delays due to road construction, accidents and just plain old traffic volume. I'd never consider changing plans because I might be delayed by 5 or 10 or 20 minutes due to traffic.

If you really want to take this cruise don't let the Pulaski Skyway closure affect your plans.

Edited by njhorseman

Don't sweat it. The turnpike extension may see a little extra traffic on a Sunday, when the Summit is in town, but nowhere near enough to cause any headaches.

The Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda departs on Sunday, the day of the week with by far the lightest traffic.

I suspect if you hadn't read everything posted so far on this topic and booked and took your cruise you wouldn't have the slightest idea that a major highway was closed. Maybe you would complain about traffic moving more slowly than normal for a couple of miles.

Every time I drive to Maryland (I have family there) I encounter traffic delays due to road construction, accidents and just plain old traffic volume. I'd never consider changing plans because I might be delayed by 5 or 10 or 20 minutes due to traffic.

If you really want to take this cruise don't let the Pulaski Skyway closure affect your plans.

Thanks for your response. I have read everything that has been posted about the traffic situation. I choose not to subject my blood pressure to such potentially confusing traffic conditions.

I do want to return to Bermuda, by ship. But, it will either be done from a port such as Baltimore or Fort Lauderdale whose traffic patterns are much more clear-cut or I will fly into the port city.

Thanks for your response. I have read everything that has been posted about the traffic situation. I choose not to subject my blood pressure to such potentially confusing traffic conditions.

I do want to return to Bermuda, by ship. But, it will either be done from a port such as Baltimore or Fort Lauderdale whose traffic patterns are much more clear-cut or I will fly into the port city.

I just checked the traffic cams in the area (Sunday morning at a time when passengers would be starting to arrive at Cape Liberty), and there was no indication of any traffic jams. Traffic appeared to be light and moving freely just as it normally is at this time of the day on weekends. There just isn't that much traffic in this area on weekend mornings for the Skyway closure to cause any significant problems.

To get a true picture we really should wait a week or two. Many schools in the NY/NJ area are closed this week because of Holy Week and Passover. As a result this week will have lighter than usual traffic.

In looking at the Turnpike traffic cams this morning near Exit 14 and on the Newark Bay extension it almost looked like weekend traffic .

Edited by njhorseman

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm posting incorrectly this is my first post!

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit on May 25. We will be driving to Cape Liberty and parking there. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of the parking lot, distance to terminal, etc. Also, what is the shuttle - there seem to be mixed comments on other boards. Some say shuttle from parking lot to terminal, others say from terminal to ship. Which is correct and how long of a shuttle drive is it? Also, what type of shuttle? The reason I'm asking is I may need to carry off my own luggage from the ship because I have to get to a wedding shower about an hour away the day we return. Is it easy to get the luggage on and off the shuttle?

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit on May 25. We will be driving to Cape Liberty and parking there. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of the parking lot, distance to terminal, etc. Also, what is the shuttle - there seem to be mixed comments on other boards. Some say shuttle from parking lot to terminal, others say from terminal to ship. Which is correct and how long of a shuttle drive is it? Also, what type of shuttle? The reason I'm asking is I may need to carry off my own luggage from the ship because I have to get to a wedding shower about an hour away the day we return. Is it easy to get the luggage on and off the shuttle?

OK..let's see

You WILL ride a big bus for about 2 minutes from the pier to the ship....it's for safety. When the new terminal is done, this will be eliminated, but that will not be for several months.

The buses are OK for luggage, they are low to the ground...it's not bad really....99% of the time, they are large, flexible, "kneeling' buses from Rutgers Univ...they are wheelchair accessible and hold a bunch of people......

Parking is not far...I haven't actually parked when I cruise, but the distance is not bad....walkable, but there may be parking shuttles as well.....

The traffic in and out is one way only...just follow the flow....you can drop your stuff off, circle around and turn left to park......it sounds like a pain, but it is organized chaos..

Is that what you wanted to know?? Let us know if you have more questions...plan to arrive between 10-1030. Boarding often starts between 11:30-noon

BTW welcome to CC, and congrats on finding this board (East Coast) for your questions...... :)

Edited by megr1125

Shuttle is two minutes. from terminal to ship and vice versa. Taking your luggage onto the shuttle will only make any difference if you are a walk-off and thus one of the first off and through customs, otherwise you will pick up your luggage just before customs in the terminal. The shuttles are the kind of buses you would see at an airport only double. unless you need to be out in a hurry, it will not make that much of a difference. From the terminal it is only a very short walk to where you would pick up your car from the terminal.

View of the EOS from the parking area - there's plenty of people directing the flow of vehicles & people, lookout for the signs & slow down as you approach:

BDA-12040.JPG

View of Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal from the parking lot - we're parked close enough, an easy 5 minutes walk as we dropped off the rest with the luggage first, then circle back/around to park the cars.

BDA-12041.JPG

The free shuttle is right next to the ship as you step off - ditto for the terminal after the 2 minutes ride, it's an active & busy port and for safety (and security reasons) - all cruisers must use the shuttle buses (until the new terminal facilities are ready)

BDA-12043.jpg

We just returned this past Sat. on the Explorer. Above info. is very correct. Short walk from terminal to parking lot. They charge $19 day.

It is a very slow process getting off the ship due to the bus situation.

Getting everyone on with luggage is a nightmare. Step up is difficult for older people. They don't provide a step stool. And, lifting heavy luggage is a problem. We were going to do walk off, but didn't and wasn't able to leave ship till about 10:45 am. We had to wait for bus. Sat 10min. when at the terminal for buses in front of us unloading. Definitely suggest walk off if you need to get somewhere.

Like it was said above, organized chaos !