NCL & The Soccer World Cup

Does anyone have any insight into whether NCL will be showing this summers' soccer World Cup on their ships this year - specifically the Breakaway?

I appreciate they are unlikely to have officially revealed their plans at this stage (they may never officially do so) but what is their recent history of covering major sporting events on their ships?

Given that the US team will feature as well as England I am assuming that there will be some coverage in O'Sheehans?

Also, will be spending time pre and post-cruise in NY. Is there likely to be much coverage on the US TV networks?

Would be good to have an insight so I can plan accordingly.

Neil

We have been on a couple of NCL cruises during a soccer world cup, and they have showed the major teams playing in the sports bar or one of the pool bars. BUT that has been on Mediterranean cruises in Europe with a large part of the passengers being European, so I don't know if it is different when the ship is sailing from an US port with the majority of the passengers being American.

Edited by TrumpyNOR

Does anyone have any insight into whether NCL will be showing this summers' soccer World Cup on their ships this year - specifically the Breakaway?

I appreciate they are unlikely to have officially revealed their plans at this stage (they may never officially do so) but what is their recent history of covering major sporting events on their ships?

Given that the US team will feature as well as England I am assuming that there will be some coverage in O'Sheehans?

Also' date=' will be spending time pre and post-cruise in NY. Is there likely to be much coverage on the US TV networks?

Neil[/quote']

If you mean the football World Cup, the chances of NCL showing anything live are slim to none

Also' date=' will be spending time pre and post-cruise in NY. Is there likely to be much coverage on the US TV networks?

Neil[/quote']

To answer your question about coverage on land in the states...ESPN has the rights and will most likely televise every match on one of their channels.

If you mean the football World Cup, the chances of NCL showing anything live are slim to none

Yes Ewood, I mean the football world cup! I used the term "football" on these boards once before and was inundated with information on a strange game involving an egg shaped ball and 16 referees ;). Won't make that mistake again!

I hope you are wrong about the "slim to none" bit as I was hoping to get my fix whilst away on holiday!

Edited by Cruisin'cockney

I was on the Epic in 2010 (Caribbean) and watched several games including the World Cup final on the big screen in the Atrium. That was a blast.

Like DDD06 said ESPN (or one of their family of channels) will show every game. Soccer gets a lot of coverage in the states these days, it's not like it used to be. I watch the EPL games at least three times a week over here.

In other words, you will get to watch games. Enjoy your trip and your cruise.

Neil[/quote']

They had soccer playing non-stop on our Epic cruise in March, so I would have to assume the Cup will be on.

Last year I sailed away on a RCCL boat on the opening of American Football season and they showed those games live, so I can only assume it is possible and that more then likely will be on.

I realize these are all assumptions, but the World Cup is a huge event and I dont see them simply ignoring it.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

Our our recent back to back on the Star (Panama Canal), there was one channel that had soccer/football on what seemed like all the time. Sometimes it was on two channels. There is an international version of ESPN that had the Super Bowl and other events (minus the commercials) plus a channel whose name I can't recall that had mostly soccer/football. It was on in the sports bar as well as in the cabins.

Is the Pope Catholic?

I suspect, considering the makeup of the crew and the usual international diversity of the passengers, you will have an infinitely better chance of seeing soocer than that game with the oblong ball and fifteen referees. That also goes for that decidely un-Cricket game also invented in the Colonies.

Neil[/quote']

I'll start with the easy one. ESPN will televise all of the games live in the US. Some of the commentators should be familiar to English fans. Ian Darke will call the US and some England games. On land, you can see every game live.

At sea, I don't know what NCL will do. I cruised on Carnival during a recent World Cup and the games were on the cabin TV and sports bar. Carnival had ESPN Caribbean on the cabin TV.

So from looking at that link, NCL carries all of the lamest sports on the planet, (tennis, Formula 1, golf, soccer) but no American sports (Football, Baseball, NASCAR, Basketball, Hockey), when the majority of their passengers are American. :confused:

Makes sense for cruises originating in Europe, but is ridiculous for cruises originating from US ports.

So from looking at that link, NCL carries all of the lamest sports on the planet, (tennis, Formula 1, golf, soccer) but no American sports (Football, Baseball, NASCAR, Basketball, Hockey), when the majority of their passengers are American. :confused:

Makes sense for cruises originating in Europe, but is ridiculous for cruises originating from US ports.

That link is from the UK site. It could well be that they (incorrectly) believe that all UK cruisers don't care about watching American Football, Baseball etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calm down. If you look at that link closely it was to the UK NCL site so it is tailored to what our British friends like. All the major U.S. type sports are also shown on NCL. You may not have every NFL or college football game like you do at home but games will be shown.

Do you think that Americans don't like the World Cup, the British Open or Wimbledon?

Do you think that Americans don't like the World Cup, the British Open or Wimbledon?

Yes I do think that Americans not only do not like the World Cup, the majority of them have not a clue about any of it. The number of times I have been to places like Vegas, San Fran and LA, and not found any coverage of World Cup games. Moreover, when asking about the games, I was met with blank stares from Americans. They just cannot understand the game.

Yes I do think that Americans not only do not like the World Cup, the majority of them have not a clue about any of it. The number of times I have been to places like Vegas, San Fran and LA, and not found any coverage of World Cup games. Moreover, when asking about the games, I was met with blank stares from Americans. They just cannot understand the game.

Not true anymore. While American football is still the top sport here, your football continues to increase in popularity.

Did you know that more Premeir League matches are televised on TV in the US than are televised in England? I can watch every game on my home TV with a standard cable package.

How long ago was it that you were in Vegas? They bet on *everything* there, so I have trouble believing there was no coverage.

Just off Breakaway, and despite the fact we were in the middle of March Madness (college basketball) they only televised the Final Four, two games on Saturday evening. Other than that, it was cricket the ENTIRE cruise! I have never been so in tune with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh cricket in my life....and this with a decidely American crowd. No hockey, pro or college final four, no pro basketball. Just cricket.

the ships only pick up certain channels and that depends on where they are. the channels available will change dependent on location and what deal they have with the cruise line.

If you are in the Caribbean then you'll pick up coverage there. however if espn Caribbean doesn't have the rights to show the world cup then you won't see it if that's the only sports channel the ship gets.

however if they have the rights to the cricket then that gets shown and not the basketball that they don't have rights to.

nobody will be able to know the correct answer to your question unless they know the world cup rights for every area the ship will be in.

The odds are good as theres not much else happening then and the world cup happens to be a pretty large event.. regardless of the opinions of those who think the only valid sport only happen in the USA.

I was in vegas a couple of weeks ago and had no problem seeing the league games, CL games and even a bit of the six nations.

nobody will be able to know the correct answer to your question unless they know the world cup rights for every area the ship will be in.

NCL are able to answer the question, as they have posted on their website that they have the rights fleet wide. See my link above.

NCL are able to answer the question, as they have posted on their website that they have the rights fleet wide. See my link above.

from your ink

"A partnership with the TV channel SPORT 24 will ensure that throughout the competition the England football team’s matches will be available on board as well as all the other key games from the tournament"

England yes. plus other key matches. They may well show every game but that statement doesn't say that.