Leaving a child on the boat at port

It really isn't. We just have a 24-hour news cycle that insists on sensationalism and fear in order to drive ratings.

We have children that are connected, 24/7, and can be reached no matter where they are. I'd think parents would be MORE willing to give their children freedom knowing they always have a cell phone in their pocket that you can track by GPS from the comfort of your easy chair - no wondering if they are in the woods or in town or at the library or at Billy's house.

<shrug>

I kind of worry about the generation today's kids are going to raise.

*LOL* I agree

When I was a kid , and even in my teens and early 20s we didn't have cell phones or beepers , or pagers or GPS . We left the house we were gone man gone . I could tell you where I was going, but once I left teh house I could be anywhere and no one knew where or when I was coming home until I walked in teh door.

These kids today post every time, they eat a bagel, take a nap, buy a soda, or go to the bathroom.

Then these idiots tell someone they will be at the one place and the idiots post a pic 15 minutes later of them someplace else . And they wonder why they get caught *LOL*

For really young kids of course not. But older teens and young 20 somethings . It was kind of nice being able to disappear for a while

Let kids be kids, though. There's not much trouble they can get into on a cruise ship, and they're sure as heck not going to get far. As long as they are being respectful and mindful of others, there's no reason an 8-9-10 year old can't be in the kids' club or in the buffet or wandering the decks on their own.

Kids running wild or rampant is a whole different situation. And I'm betting that most of the kids behaving that way are generally under lockdown and watched 24/7 at home and have never learned how to entertain themselves.

I would love to agree with this... But I just can't as I work with sex offenders extensively and know what they are capable of. Although you may feel your child is mature enough to roam the ship and not disappear ( and people do go missing on ships) there is no way you can ever vouch for the other passengers and what they are capable of. Things are different now and while I might have been gone all day when I was growing up, with my mother only having a vague idea as to where I was, I shudder to think what could have happened, knowing what I know now!

My children are now 20 and 17, but you better believe that on our last cruise 3 months ago, I still knew where my 6'2" 17 year old was! I consider it safe parenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm really surprised at how many people are willing to leave the ship and have their kids stay on board. If you don't want to spend your vacation with them, why not just leave them home with a sitter?

Small kids are better off staying on the ship most times than running around in port in sun & heat for 5-6 hours.

Just because it is a "family vacation" you do not have to be joined at the hip 24/7.

We are not over-bearing, helicopter parents, whom control every aspect of our kids lives.

It is a service the cruise line provides and many people take advantage of it..

Edited by matj2000

My husband and I have left our children on the ship while we have been on an excursion. The children are checked in to AO and do not have sign out privileges. It is a family holiday and if the kids want to stay and play with their friends instead of coming with us then we consider it. We only consent if we are booked on an RCI excursion and we do not think the excursion would be of benefit to the kids.

I trust the Adventure Ocean staff will look after my children much in the same way I expect school staff to look after my children during school hours.

I would love to agree with this... But I just can't as I work with sex offenders extensively and know what they are capable of.

They always were, and they're not any more prevalent now than they ever were. We just hear about them more.

And, since you work with sex offenders, tell me - who are sex offenders most likely to molest?

Right. Children that they have easy access to. Most children are molested by family or close family friends. So a child who is molested is more likely to be molested by someone they know than by one of those 3,000 strangers on a cruise ship.

I appreciate protecting your children, I want to protect mine, too, even though they are all grown up - but there's a difference between protecting them and smothering them, and sometimes the line can be blurred. As I said - when I was 10, I was fully responsible for 3 young children, including an infant. I was perfectly capable of doing so. And I would have been perfectly capable of behaving appropriately on a cruise ship at that age, even outside my parent's watch.

I don't believe I am unique. I do believe that there are plenty of children today that are equally responsible at that age to be on their own while on vacation, some of the time. I realize that many people seem to want to never see children while they are on vacation, but I'm not one of them. I enjoy interacting with children - they see the world so much more optimistically than we adults do.

Things are different now and while I might have been gone all day when I was growing up, with my mother only having a vague idea as to where I was, I shudder to think what could have happened, knowing what I know now!

Things aren't different now - except that children are more cognizant than we ever were, and they are completely connected. We weren't. I don't shudder to think what "could have happened" any more than I worry about how I could have drowned in the river I used to fish in - because people have. Or I could've been hit by a car riding my bike 10 miles into town. Because people do. Or I could've gotten lost in the woods. People do that, too. I also could've fallen off my horse or gotten trampled by a cow.

I know that there's some things all of us will never see eye to eye on. This is one of them. From the people who want to go on vacation and pretend that children don't exist and hate that there are any children at all on the ship or in port to the people who bring their kids on vacation and then let them run wild and do what they want without any repercussions - and everything in-between those two endpoints.

I fall into the 'give the kids the ability to prove how mature and responsible they can be' camp. And I also fall into the camp of being MY children's parent, not anyone else's - and of not assuming that because I don't think my child could handle something, therefore no child that age could and anyone who thinks otherwise must be a "bad parent".

But that's just me.

Edited by Jobeth66

The real question here - did anyone else start the popcorn as soon as they read the original post :)

I'm laughing at this...LOL. I had no idea it would cause such a strong reaction by some people. I was just wondering if I could leave my almost 11 year old in the kid's club while we enjoyed the cabana without any whining. Luckily, some people were nice enough to not be Judgy McJudgerson and gave me actual advice.

Just FYI, when in labadee the kids program is on the island, not on the ship, so that is something else to think about. I haven't been yet so I don't know the location I the island, but I have seen the kid's program that states there is no adventure ocean on the ship from 8:30 until 3:00. This is for the kids ages 3-11.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for this information. I'll look into this.

When I was 13, in a port like Labadee I would've been allowed to do whatever I wanted, I just would've had a set time and place to meet up. When I was 10 I would've definitely been allowed full run of the ship maybe Labadee too, that would've been a case by case call. But I always proved myself to be responsible and never got into trouble or did anything I wasn't supposed to.

I was allowed to freely roam amusement parks by 9 or so, must of the time I had my older brother with me, but sometimes I'd go do something by myself. But again, I always knew where and when to meet.

I just think it depends on the kids, I have known many 15 year-olds I wouldn't let out of my sight on a ship, and plenty of 10 year-olds I'd see no problem with roam, especially with a friend.

Edited by OSUZorba

A lot of people are saying what if you leave your child but miss the ship...if you go on an excursion purchased through the cruise line doesn't that pretty much guarantee the fact that the ship won't leave if there is an issue with the excursion?

On DCL we left our baby in day care twice to go on ship sponsored excursions and did not have a single issue.

I'm sorry for not having the luxury of leaving my kid with a sitter for a week or better yet bring a sitter with me. Please...

Both my wife and I work and our son started day care at 3 months and has not had a single problem. In fact he loves going to daycare.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

A lot of people are saying what if you leave your child but miss the ship...if you go on an excursion purchased through the cruise line doesn't that pretty much guarantee the fact that the ship won't leave if there is an issue with the excursion?

On DCL we left our baby in day care twice to go on ship sponsored excursions and did not have a single issue.

I'm sorry for not having the luxury of leaving my kid with a sitter for a week or better yet bring a sitter with me. Please...

Both my wife and I work and our son started day care at 3 months and has not had a single problem. In fact he loves going to daycare.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

For the most part, yes. But in extreme circumstances, it just means they will get you to the next port, to rejoin the ship.

Also don't forget about if something happens to you while in port (medical issue, accident, etc) that lands you in a hospital.

Edited by time4u2go

For the most part, yes. But in extreme circumstances, it just means they will get you to the next port, to rejoin the ship.

Also don't forget about if something happens to you while in port (medical issue, accident, etc) that lands you in a hospital.

If I landed in hospital in a port, I would rather my child or children be on the ship, where they are fed and housed. Not in a country where they know no one and don't have a place to stay.

If I landed in hospital in a port, I would rather my child or children be on the ship, where they are fed and housed. Not in a country where they know no one and don't have a place to stay.

Intereting observation. I was responding to a post by someone that mentioned leaving a baby. Between having my baby cared for by strangers on a ship, or with us in a port, I think I'd rather the baby be with us. You mentioned them not knowing anyone or having a place to stay in the port...they would know us, and would stay with us, wherever we are, even in a hospital room.

I agree

If I am in a hospital on some island. I would rather know my child is on the ship in a safer environment that being alone on some third world island . Worse comes to worse the ship will just return to the home port with them and arrangements can be made for family or friends to pick them up.

Not saying the most ideal situation in the world and certainly not one anyone wants to be in.

Bt certainly better than a child all alone in a strange country.

This is my first cruise with the kids... we will be getting into Nassau in the afternoon and dont plan to do any excursions, just shopping and wandering about. What are your thoughts on leaving our 1 year old in babysitting? I am not worried about leaving the older ones in the Oceans adventure, but the little one... I'm hesitant

I agree

If I am in a hospital on some island. I would rather know my child is on the ship in a safer environment that being alone on some third world island . Worse comes to worse the ship will just return to the home port with them and arrangements can be made for family or friends to pick them up.

Not saying the most ideal situation in the world and certainly not one anyone wants to be in.

Bt certainly better than a child all alone in a strange country.

All alone? Wouldn't you (and maybe someone traveling with you) be with them?

Edited by time4u2go

Because that happens all the time!!

I bet it happens more than you think.

You have people that the only exercise they get at home is getting up and down from the couch to the bed. But suddenly on a cruise they decide to climb rock walls, jet ski, zip line etc. That can usually be a recipe for disaster

I really wish people would stop being so mean. When I originally asked this question it was to find out if leaving my child in the kid's club was even an option. I had no idea it would turn into this. Sad really, that people can't have their own opinions without being judged by total strangers :confused:

I would assume, that the cruise line's legal department has gone through every possible scenario in regards to what happens with a child of any age should their parent(s) not make it back to the ship because of time or injury. If you don't feel comfortable leaving a child on the ship, don't do it. If you feel comfortable doing it, then do. It's unfortunate if you decide to leave your child unattended and then said child runs rampant on the boat disturbing everyone but the fact of the matter is I can go to my local mall or even Walgreens for that matter and find children with and without their parents acting a fool. Yes, you spend a ton of money on vacation and you'd hope that you don't run into a crazy, unattended child but this world is full of crazy, unattended children (and adults for that matter)...