Behind the Scenes - bridge or bridge viewing room?

SandyAtSea

A recent review of the Epic said the tour only went to the bridge viewing room, not the bridge. Does this depend on which captain is aboard? Have been on other Behind the Scenes tours on NCL ships (Jewel, Pearl) that included the actual bridge.

A recent review of the Epic said the tour only went to the bridge viewing room, not the bridge. Does this depend on which captain is aboard? Have been on other Behind the Scenes tours on NCL ships (Jewel, Pearl) that included the actual bridge.

Yes, it depends on the Captain. Some do not want visitors on the Bridge.

wow, you're lucky. We were on the Pearl and just were in the bridge viewing room.

I guess we were. We got to go out on the bridge wings and stand on the little glass window that they look down through when they dock. You could look back down the side of the ship. View of course was fantastic out the front windows. They explained all the instruments and controls where the watch officers sit but also the fire warning system, security camera video screens, chart area, etc.

I think the bridge viewing room is fascinating but would be disappointed if we were limited to that on the tour!

If the bridge tour was not included in the behind the sceans tour I would not spend the money for it.

I have been on several on different cruise lines and always got to visit the bridge. Even on the DAWN.

For complimentary, that bridge viewing room on the GEM is really neat. I booked the Mini-Suite right next door to it. I spent a few hours in that place, looking at the radar, maps and out the front windows.

Captain's discretion. Could be his personal preference or maybe some situation going on not conducive to visitors on the bridge.

Looking at your photos really makes me want to take the tour. But will be taking your previous advice about it being intensive and not for those of us who would have trouble keeping up. Thinking of talking with the concierge and see if something more appropriate is available. Would really love to go to the bridge. My cruise fantasy is to spend at least a weekend on an aircraft carrier many miles out to sea.

On Pearl can anyone just walk into the Bridge viewing room or can I only visit that room as part of a tour?

The viewing room (also ships history room) is always open. Sometimes, the curtain on the window is closed...at night, for example. I have seen it closed at other times, too...but couldn't tell you why since the curtain was closed... :p

Does the breakaway have a bridge viewing room?

No, Breakaway/Getaway do not have bridge viewing rooms. However, the paid behind the scenes tours I've done on both ships do take you to the bridge to look around. With the modern, centralized cockpit layout, they're very similar to the bridges on all of NCL's ships. The largest difference is that the new ships (Epic and Breakaway Class) have a "Safety Center" located behind the bridge where all of the safety and emergency communication systems (fire alarms, fire doors, fire suppression systems, emergency ventilation shutoff, watertight doors, passenger and crew tracking systems, GMDSS equipment, deck plans, etc.) are located. On earlier ships these various systems used to be spread out across the bridge, but gathering them together in a single location allows officers to more easily assess emergency situations and take appropriate actions.

The viewing room (also ships history room) is always open. Sometimes, the curtain on the window is closed...at night, for example. I have seen it closed at other times, too...but couldn't tell you why since the curtain was closed... :p

I think it has to be closed anytime they are entering or leaving port.

While I doubt that we would book the behind the scenes tour for our upcoming NCL cruise, the thought of the bridge viewing room that is always open sounded intriguing to me. A bit disappointed to learn that the Dawn doesn't have a bridge viewing room.

Oh, I didn't realize Dawn didn't have a BVR. I know her sister ship, the Star, has one b/c we visited it a few times on our first cruise, DH was thrilled. It was very handy for us too since we were on the deck 11 already.

I wonder if they closed it in when they did renovations? It's too bad if they did.