Ketchikan

Lulubelle45

Does anyone know the condition of the Married Man's Trail and cost of the tram to go up to the lodge? Is it worth it? Wanting to DIY in Ketchikan rather than excursions.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Im not sure but if this helps you any we did a float plane ride and was the highlight of our cruise so many beautiful pictures and so worth the money we had the most wonderful time and then we just walked around the town and had a bite to eat .:)

Does anyone know the condition of the Married Man's Trail and cost of the tram to go up to the lodge? Is it worth it? Wanting to DIY in Ketchikan rather than excursions.

If you haven't already, you may want to post this question on the Alaska board in the Ports of Call section of CC. BudgetQueen is a frequent visitor to Alaska and frequent poster on CC and she will probably know the answer.

Edited by olemissreb

The funicular in Ketchikan was $2 or $2.50 per person back in 2011. The trail is steep and zig-zags down the side of the mountain but the views at certain places are just lovely. Take time to have lunch at the hotel at the top (Cape Fox Lodge) delicious chowder! with pretty views of the harbor. Then go thru the lodge to the back to see their collection of totem poles.

Ketchikan is a nice place to just DIY and walk around. Make sure you check out Creek Street. Even if you don't want to buy anything, there is a lot of locally made art and jewellery and stuff. We bought some lovely gifts there. It was drizzly when we were there and we had no problem on Married Man's Trail. As I recall it was a groomed walkway rather than a rutted path through a forest. You can get a good walking map from the visitor centre near the dock. We didn't go up the tram, but that was only due to lack of time. The Totem Heritage Museum (unpainted, reclaimed totems), Dolly's House and the tram were pretty cheap (around $5.00) I think.

This trail is not "muddy". I am a big advocate of taking time for the lovely totems out the back of the Cape Fox Lodge. The funicular is a few dollars.

I also like to go to the end of the Married Man's trail which ends up on Park- if the salmon are running. Turning right- will take you up to the salmon ladder.

Hi LuluBelle: Ketchikan is a great port for just walking around and exploring without the need to spend much money on excursions. Every time we go there, after a snoop around Creek Street, we take the funicular to Cape Fox Lodge - once we paid a couple bucks to do so, other times it was free. As Budget Queen said, there are great totems on the lodge property. The hotel is just a typical hotel, unfortunately, not a "lodge" like you might imagine. We usually just walk down Married Man's Trail afterwards - not a terribly hard walk up, but definitely easier to walk down ;) I have not done it yet, but many people say using public transport (i.e., the bus) to explore Ketchikan is very easy.

The last time we took the funicular to the Cape Fox Lodge the fee was approximately $2.00 per person. The walk down from the Cape Fox Lodge to the Totem Heritage Center is easy. In my opinion the Totem Heritage Center is undervalued and since the totems are inside it is a great option for the days when Ketchikan is experiencing their "liquid sunshine."

We took a walk around town in Ketchikan, took the tram up to the lodge where we ate lunch, then walked down the Married Man's Trail. We really enjoyed ourselves. The weather was nice. We were there in August on the southbound Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver.

Here is a link to the slideshow my wife made for her website with pictures she took

Ketchikan Walk About

Happy Sailing!

We took a walk around town in Ketchikan, took the tram up to the lodge where we ate lunch, then walked down the Married Man's Trail. We really enjoyed ourselves. The weather was nice. We were there in August on the southbound Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver.

Here is a link to the slideshow my wife made for her website with pictures she took

Ketchikan Walk About

Happy Sailing!

Very nice slideshow. Thanks for posting!

Another fun and inexpensive thing to do is fish off the bridge. A single day license if I remember right was $20, I brought an old pack rod and squid bait, then had lots of fun pulling in salmon after salmon till the rod broke from the weight of an monster!

Muffinman

Ketchikan Walk About

Happy Sailing!

Fantastic slideshow can you tell me about how long it took you to see all of that not including having lunch? We have a tour that will return at 2:30 and ship leaves at 6pm will we have time to see the town and do the tram?

Fantastic slideshow can you tell me about how long it took you to see all of that not including having lunch? We have a tour that will return at 2:30 and ship leaves at 6pm will we have time to see the town and do the tram?

I'm glad you enjoyed the slideshow.

The link below will take you to a website that offers a FREE WALKING TOUR MAP of Ketchikan. You need to scroll down the page to find the one called Downtown Ketchikan Walking Tour. It's in a PDF format so it takes a few minutes to download. This is the same map we used. The information on the map says it can be walked in 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/walking-tours

Sorry, I don't remember exactly how long it took us to walk around. We didn't take a tour that morning because we had been to Ketchikan on a previous cruise and my wife just wanted to walk around town, take pictures, and eat lunch at the lodge.

We did a lot of window shopping along the way to the tram which we rode up to the lodge. After lunch, we went out to look at the totems and then walked down the Married Man's Trail. We did a little more window shopping on the way back to the ship.

Hope this helps. Happy Cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Yes you have plenty of time. From dock 1 and 2, it's a 10 minute walk to the tram. Farther from 3 and 4, another 10/15 minutes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the slideshow.

The link below will take you to a website that offers a FREE WALKING TOUR MAP of Ketchikan. You need to scroll down the page to find the one called Downtown Ketchikan Walking Tour. It's in a PDF format so it takes a few minutes to download. This is the same map we used. The information on the map says it can be walked in 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/walking-tours

Sorry, I don't remember exactly how long it took us to walk around. We didn't take a tour that morning because we had been to Ketchikan on a previous cruise and my wife just wanted to walk around town, take pictures, and eat lunch at the lodge.

We did a lot of window shopping along the way to the tram which we rode up to the lodge. After lunch, we went out to look at the totems and then walked down the Married Man's Trail. We did a little more window shopping on the way back to the ship.

Hope this helps. Happy Cruising!

Yes you have plenty of time. From dock 1 and 2, it's a 10 minute walk to the tram. Farther from 3 and 4, another 10/15 minutes.

Thanks that sounds like that will be our afternoon plan. I'm getting lots of fantastic information here on CC as usual thanks again.

Thanks that sounds like that will be our afternoon plan. I'm getting lots of fantastic information here on CC as usual thanks again.

Cruise Critic is my "go to place" for everything cruise-related. :D

Happy planning!