Denali and Overwhelmed

hellokitty49

We're driving to Denali, spending the night close by, then spending all day in the park and spending the night again. There are so many posts about Denali that I don't even know where to start. Should we just do the green buses or book a tour? Do they have tours?

I've gone to the Denali websight but there 's so much info it's a little overwhelming. We are able to walk long distances and want to see animals.

Janet

First thing, Denali is all about distance. The farther you go, the more you see. Along the same line, the more you go the more you see. I never recommend independent visitors take any tour buses.

With my first statement- why would you pay triple the cost going a similar distance? Read up on Denali if you want "tour", getting familiar with what you are going to see, with the locations is worthwhile to know in advance.

As for animals, binoculars are necessary, I recommend going at least as far as Eielson. Nothing shorter. Denali is more about scenery than wildlife.

overwhelming ?? How so?? Read the descriptions on the park site as well as the reservation site. And look at the map to familiarize yourself with the stops.

Start by comparing the Tundra Wilderness Tour to Eielson shuttle:

TWT goes to mile 53, 8 hrs, $130

Eielson shuttle goes to mile 66, 8 hrs, $35

Both travel the same road, and stop every 90 minutes at the same rest stops.

The TWT provides water and snacks, has a drop down screen to zoom in on distant wildlife. The driver has a scripted narration to follow. Will stop for all wildlife sightings. Turns around at Toklat where there is a bookstore.

The Eielson shuttle provides no snacks/drinks. The driver will talk about history, geology, wildlife and stops for all wildlife sightings. Stops at the Eielson Visitor Center for 35-45 minutes, where there are wonderful views of the mtn, displays, rangers, flush toilets, water fountains, trails and a bus dispatcher should you choose to hike for awhile and take a later bus back to the entrance.

Look under PLAY http://www.reservedenali.com/

Prime bear viewing starts around Toklat.

Edited by mapleleaves

Since you can not drive into the park beyond the Savage River site you have only 2 options-- a tour or a shuttle.

The shuttle is cheaper and goes farther. When we return to Denali we will do the shuttle to Wonder Lake and as early in the day as possible. It is a long trip. You can always turn around sooner if you want to. As BQ says this is the best option.

On our cruisetour we took the Tundra Wilderness tour. [we could not opt out and get our money back] We left around 6:20 and got back around 3:30 ish. It is not the total waste everyone makes it out to be. Our guide was very good. She never stopped talking the whole 9 hours were in the park, except when she was working the camera. She was full of facts, stories and things I never would have learned anywhere else.

We liked the camera and drop down screen. The driver has a 100X video camera and can display the wildlife that I could not have seen with my binos no matter how hard I tried. At the end we ordered the DVD of the trip. It included a 15 minute general video of Denali and edited footage from the zoom camera on our trip. Yes, it was $30, but it is a priceless memento for us.

While we were on tour we saw 4 grizzly bears, 3 moose, a golden eagle, a grouse, an arctic squirrel, and more dall sheep than anyone wants to stop to see. They looked like white specks on the mountains to me at first. LOL

We went several miles past the Tolkat stop before we turned around. Here was the view from the turnaround spot:

10-1.jpg

Yep: that is the mountain mosty obscured by clouds. However, we got to see it in all its glory the next day. WOW!!

Have a good trip.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Wow all of your replies were very helpful. Probably going to do the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. One last question. Since the only place you can purchase food is at the entrance to the park, what do you do about lunch? Can you bring a small cooler with drinks and lunch?

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Wow all of your replies were very helpful. Probably going to do the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. One last question. Since the only place you can purchase food is at the entrance to the park, what do you do about lunch? Can you bring a small cooler with drinks and lunch?

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Yes, you sure can. Don't forget water too, as, some of the potty stops are only porta potties, with no potable water.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Edited by AkSusan

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Yes you can bring a small cooler, like those 6 pack ones, which are easy to place in the above racks. I freeze a couple water bottles, I like crystal light packs, I bring along, as well my usual Denali food, of a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly and a bag of chips. :) doesn't need to be cold and I just bring everything along in my Walmart bag. :)

For general info- Subway is open 24 hours, and will make the subs with the liquids on the side. :) Also many hotels, restaurants will pack bag lunches.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks in advance.

Janet

If you will be in Fairbanks or Anchorage you can purchase some food items there, but most, if not all, of the hotels in the "Glitter Gulch" area will have some items which you can purchase. Look in the gift shops for such items as the little cans of prepared tuna salad with crackers and a spreader and so forth. Some of the hotels will also have items at their coffee shops which can be purchased, and of course, there is the already mentioned Subway.

I always find that I have a bad case of the "munchies" while on a park bus, so consider purchasing a little more than you might think you need.