No more hairspray

It may depend on how long the license allows them to show it and that may also be the reason that Hairspray is being replaced. I suspect that the license for CATS may allow them to feature it for a lengthier period of time due to its age and the fact that it has already been done so many professional, semi-professional and school theatrical companies.

I can think of several other shows which would hold more appeal for me than CATS, but then again, I'm not the one who makes these decisions and if I should be onboard Oasis when it is showing, I will probably attend.:)

I just watched four videos featuring performances from Cats and I have to agree that the rights for this show must have been cheap. If RCCL wanted to do ALW, why not Phantom?

Both of my daughters (both of whom have been to several shows in New York as well as seeing traveling shows of Cats) were extremely disappointed when I told them the news about Hairspray being replaced.

I have the feeling that there will 4 extra seats in the Theater come November 22nd.

If some people say Cats was no good, then why was it the longest running show on Broadway history? I've never seen it but now I have a reason to go on Oasis. After I see Mamma Mia on QOS lol

Phantom is actually the longest running show in Broadway history.

But back to Cats...in 1983 the show was groundbreaking and the sets were spectacular. The choreography set the stage for shows to come. However, over the years it hasn't held up, especially compared to the shows being offered today. Some say it was original triumph of spectacle over substance.

Edited by comxkid

Just announced on the Facebook page of a UK Travel Agent:

Royal Caribbean have just announced they will be adding long time fan favourite CATS to the list of shows Oasis of the Seas offers. This will bring the total to five and will include Hairspray, Chicago, Mamma Mia the Musical and Saturday Night Fever.

CATS will be available after the Oasis of the Seas dry dock this autumn.

What do you think of cruise line theater shows? Are they going down the right route with Broadway productions?

For more details on Royal Caribbeans cruises: http://*******/XGTiU6

The wording is strange since it seems to imply all the other shows are available too.

Edited by Bobal

Just announced on the Facebook page of a UK Travel Agent:

Royal Caribbean have just announced they will be adding long time fan favourite CATS to the list of shows Oasis of the Seas offers. This will bring the total to five and will include Hairspray, Chicago, Mamma Mia the Musical and Saturday Night Fever.

CATS will be available after the Oasis of the Seas dry dock this autumn.

What do you think of cruise line theater shows? Are they going down the right route with Broadway productions?

For more details on Royal Caribbeans cruises: http://*******/XGTiU6

The wording is strange since it seems to imply all the other shows are available too.

Sounds like they are keeping Hairspray and possibly moving it to another ship. I suppose it's also possible that they will have both Hairspray and Cats on the same ship.

While I will miss the wonderful production of HAIRSPRAY on the OASIS, we will more than likely see CATS on our next cruise. Its not a favorite at all (and that song "memories" is my "its a small world"..it stays with me for DAYS) I do appreciate RC's willingness to keep their entertainment reasonably "fresh" and varied. Especially when you consider most cruise lines idea of entertainment is a "buff" man and woman hanging from the showroom ceiling <yawn>.

Last time on the Allure; on an Entertainment/Meet the Stars tour. One of the production managers said they had purchased the rights to Chicago for 7 years.

We were on the Allure 2 weeks ago (The 3/23 sailing). And between the crew members and the cast members, they strongly hinted (and one straight out said) that Chicago was going out during the 2015 dry dock. No news known about what will come in it's place.

I also heard that they said something in a TA meeting that Cats would be replacing Hairspray as well during it's dry dock.

I can see Chicago leaving, even more then Hairspray. It doesn't fit the "family friendly" theme as much as other shows.

The press release appears to confirm that CATS will be featured on Oasis but the mention of Hairspray in the list of shows on RCI ships raises the question as to whether or not it is being replaced or will simply be moved to another ship. If they are going to continue featuring Hairspray on some ship why move it instead of simply placing CATS on a new ship? Of course given RCI's reputation for issuing ambiguous, and sometimes totally incorrect, information I guess we may have to wait for them to issue more specific details. :confused:

I highly doubt that Hairspray is staying on the OA. I did not get that from the press release. I assume that they will move Hairspray to either the Freedom, Indy or Anthem. Having done the Backstage tour several times on the Oasis class ships there simply isn't room to store all those props. It was tight with just Hairspray and Come a Fly With Me.

I followed up with him to clarify, and you're correct:

Hi Ashley,

Cats will replace Hairspray, which will move to another ship but we do not know which one at this time.

With best regards,

Harry

___

Harrison Liu

Manager, Brand Communications

Royal Caribbean International | Azamara Club Cruises

I followed up with him to clarify, and you're correct:

Hi Ashley,

Cats will replace Hairspray, which will move to another ship but we do not know which one at this time.

With best regards,

Harry

___

Harrison Liu

Manager, Brand Communications

Royal Caribbean International | Azamara Club Cruises

Very interesting, thanks for following up!

Anthem is a possibility, but you figure they'd want something brand new for the brand new ship. I suppose Freedom or Independence would be other options.

Edited by Dave85

• 10 months later...