No more hairspray

You know many of the sets for Come Fly With Me are computer/mechanically controlled, right? I'm sure they could find some way to pull it off.

And really? The Oasis stage is "too large" to put on Cats?:rolleyes:

Yeah. It's been 4 years since we were on Oasis! I just don't remember an up and out hydraulic system; the junkyard tire in Cats raises up and articulates out. I'm sure they can do it, but I don't recall anything like that onboard.

And, "too large" is not my concern. I've actually never been lucky enough to see Cats on Broadway or in the West End, but the West End theaters are VERY intimate, in general, as are most of the older Broadway theaters. I've seen Cats in some very large venues, and it works just fine!

Now, if they could bring Spamalot onboard, I'd almost book the cruise just for the show!

Cats goes onto Oasis in Dry Dock later this year.

Hairspray is being retained, but going to another ship....

A brand new West End show will be going onto Anthem.

I am sure Royal would LOVE Wicked... but the producers of the show get to choose where the show goes, the cruise line cannot just put on whatever show they want.

I think it would be nice if they just rotated their shows around the different ships some. The cast already changes out every 6 (IIRC) months anyways.

I enjoyed Hairspray the first time I was on Oasis, but felt no need to see it again the second time. I also skipped Come Fly With Me the second, which I didn't really care for. I really like going to shows on ships, but I've kind of decided I have to not repeat ships to avoid seeing the same show.

I think it would be nice if they just rotated their shows around the different ships some. The cast already changes out every 6 (IIRC) months anyways.

I enjoyed Hairspray the first time I was on Oasis, but felt no need to see it again the second time. I also skipped Come Fly With Me the second, which I didn't really care for. I really like going to shows on ships, but I've kind of decided I have to not repeat ships to avoid seeing the same show.

So you go on a different ship and see the same shows?

It is a HUGE task to move a show from one ship to another. And guess who pays for that move.... the passenger.

I hope this is a (late) April Fool's Joke. Hairspray is a lot of fun. Cats is, well, Cats....all pre-recorded audio and lip-syncying....it would be sad if they went the Carnival route and eliminated the live performances.

Someone mentioned Wicked....too depressing for a vacation. There are a lot of fun, upbeat shows that would work well on a cruise. Wicked is not really one of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a cover story for Cats to be on Anthem. They mention a full length play. The one on Quantum is supposed to be the full play as well while Oasis, Allure, and Liberty all have shortened Vegas versions. If they increase Oasis's play that could really cause them some problems with the 7 day show rotation.

Yeah. It's been 4 years since we were on Oasis! I just don't remember an up and out hydraulic system; the junkyard tire in Cats raises up and articulates out. I'm sure they can do it, but I don't recall anything like that onboard.
I do remember parts of the stage floor dropping. We also did the "behind the scenes" tour and was told certain set pieces are actually in tracks and controlled by computers & motors. So I agree while they don't have anything currently, that would do the "up and out" hydraulics, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement during a drydock.

And, "too large" is not my concern. I've actually never been lucky enough to see Cats on Broadway or in the West End, but the West End theaters are VERY intimate, in general, as are most of the older Broadway theaters. I've seen Cats in some very large venues, and it works just fine!

Now, if they could bring Spamalot onboard, I'd almost book the cruise just for the show!

Sorry, I was on my Kindle. The "too large" comment wasn't directed at you.

I hope this is a (late) April Fool's Joke. Hairspray is a lot of fun. Cats is, well, Cats....all pre-recorded audio and lip-syncying....it would be sad if they went the Carnival route and eliminated the live performances.

No more so than Chicago or Hairspray. :confused:

Where would they put the litter box?

:D

RCI typically changes their major production shows every 5 years or so per ship. Hairspray has been on Oasis since her launch and she will be in for her 5 year dry dock soon. Very possible - and perhaps likely - that they will change the show then to something else. It could very well be Cats.

Mama Mia has already been confirmed on Quantum.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I saw Cats years ago, in a smaller venue, with a road company in Atlantic City with my family. The only thing I remember about it was that I did not enjoy it, and about 1/4 of the way through, my younger niece got sick and threw up and we all left.

I think that from that point on, whenever I think of this show, I can only remember poor Jen getting sick.

I am horribly allergic to cats and my mom is scared to death of them, so I can guarantee you, this is NOT a show we would bother to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a cover story for Cats to be on Anthem. They mention a full length play. The one on Quantum is supposed to be the full play as well while Oasis, Allure, and Liberty all have shortened Vegas versions. If they increase Oasis's play that could really cause them some problems with the 7 day show rotation.

Those words 'full length Broadway musical' led me to believe as well they are casting for Anthem as Quantum will have full length Mama Mia with intermission I understand.

The 'Come Fly with Me' reference though is confusing as that is the show on Oasis.:confused:

Those words 'full length Broadway musical' led me to believe as well they are casting for Anthem as Quantum will have full length Mama Mia with intermission I understand.

The 'Come Fly with Me' reference though is confusing as that is the show on Oasis.:confused:

Unless Cats is going to Oasis and Hairspray is moving to Anthem.

Edited by ahecht

Yes we were told on our backstage tour on the Oasis that the contract on all large production shows were only for a set time. So Hairspray, SNF and Chicago will all eventually be replaced. This will probably happen during a ship revitalization as it takes major stage construction to change out these big shows. Now for speculation on what will come next....

Cats Coming to Oasis of the Seas From Cruise Industry News

ON 04 APRIL 2014.

Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will be bringing the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of CATS to the high seas. Based on T.S. Eliot's “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats,” CATS was one of the longest running productions on Broadway and is the winner of numerous awards including seven Tonys, two Oliviers and a Grammy.

The show has been seen in over 20 countries and translated into more than 10 languages. The fully licensed production of CATS will join Oasis of the Seas once it completes its drydock in fall 2014.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with the Really Useful Group to bring one of the world’s most beloved musicals to Oasis of the Seas,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Executive Vice President, Operations, Royal Caribbean International.

“Adding CATS to our already amazing line up of Broadway musicals such as Hairspray, Chicago: The Musical, Saturday Night Fever and Mamma Mia exemplify our commitment to bringing top quality entertainment to our guests at no extra cost.”

Edited by CVU

Cats Coming to Oasis of the Seas From Cruise Industry News

ON 04 APRIL 2014.

Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will be bringing the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of CATS to the high seas. Based on T.S. Eliot's “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats,” CATS was one of the longest running productions on Broadway and is the winner of numerous awards including seven Tonys, two Oliviers and a Grammy.

The show has been seen in over 20 countries and translated into more than 10 languages. The fully licensed production of CATS will join Oasis of the Seas once it completes its drydock in fall 2014.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with the Really Useful Group to bring one of the world’s most beloved musicals to Oasis of the Seas,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Executive Vice President, Operations, Royal Caribbean International.

“Adding CATS to our already amazing line up of Broadway musicals such as Hairspray, Chicago: The Musical, Saturday Night Fever and Mamma Mia exemplify our commitment to bringing top quality entertainment to our guests at no extra cost.”

Well that's disappointing. I'm booked for the November 22nd sailing (after the drydock) and I've already made reservations for "Hairspray". I hope that the showtimes are the same.

I've not heard good things about Cats, so I have avoided it for years. But all streaks must end.

Edited by comxkid

It could really cause problems with my attention span too!

Hi all,

Here's the full release we received from Royal Caribbean's PR folks earlier today. It says CATS is coming in addition to Hairspray, so you'll still be able to see the latter. :)

ANDREW LLOYD WEBER’S CATS COMES TO THE WORLD’S LARGEST CRUISE SHIP

Oasis of the Seas to Feature New Broadway Production

MIAMI, April 4, 2014 – Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will be bringing the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of CATS to the high seas. Based on T.S. Eliot's “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats,” CATS was one of the longest running productions on Broadway and is the winner of numerous awards including seven Tonys, two Oliviers and a Grammy. The show has been seen in over 20 countries and translated into more than 10 languages. The fully licensed production of CATS will join Oasis of the Seas once it completes its drydock in fall 2014.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with the Really Useful Group to bring one of the world’s most beloved musicals to Oasis of the Seas,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Executive Vice President, Operations, Royal Caribbean International. “Adding CATS to our already amazing line up of Broadway musicals such as Hairspray, Chicago: The Musical, Saturday Night Fever and Mamma Mia exemplify our commitment to bringing top quality entertainment to our guests at no extra cost.”

Oasis of the Seas features exclusive amenities and concepts throughout its seven themed neighborhoods, such as an 82 foot-long zip line, a handcrafted carousel, the Rising Tide elevating bar, the Aquatheater high-diving performance venue, and Central Park with more than 12,000 live trees and plants. Oasis of the Seas also offers amenities that can only be found on Royal Caribbean, such as twin FlowRider surf simulators, cantilevered whirlpools, an ice-skating rink, the H20 Zone kids aquapark, and the Royal Promenade, an interior boulevard that stretches nearly the length of the ship and flanked by restaurants, lounges and boutiques, among many others. For an extensive collection of webisodes detailing the variety of experiences aboard Oasis of the Seas, please visit http://*******.com/bw585wa

Launched in December 2009, Oasis of the Seas has been heralded as an architectural marvel at sea, spanning 16 decks, encompassing 225,282 gross registered tons, and with a double-occupancy capacity of 5,400 guests. Oasis of the Seas is first ship to tout the cruise line’s neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, comprising Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone.

Hi all,

Here's the full release we received from Royal Caribbean's PR folks earlier today. It says CATS is coming in addition to Hairspray, so you'll still be able to see the latter. :)

ANDREW LLOYD WEBER’S CATS COMES TO THE WORLD’S LARGEST CRUISE SHIP

Oasis of the Seas to Feature New Broadway Production

MIAMI, April 4, 2014 – Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most innovative cruise ship will be bringing the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of CATS to the high seas. Based on T.S. Eliot's “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats,” CATS was one of the longest running productions on Broadway and is the winner of numerous awards including seven Tonys, two Oliviers and a Grammy. The show has been seen in over 20 countries and translated into more than 10 languages. The fully licensed production of CATS will join Oasis of the Seas once it completes its drydock in fall 2014.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with the Really Useful Group to bring one of the world’s most beloved musicals to Oasis of the Seas,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, Executive Vice President, Operations, Royal Caribbean International. “Adding CATS to our already amazing line up of Broadway musicals such as Hairspray, Chicago: The Musical, Saturday Night Fever and Mamma Mia exemplify our commitment to bringing top quality entertainment to our guests at no extra cost.”

Oasis of the Seas features exclusive amenities and concepts throughout its seven themed neighborhoods, such as an 82 foot-long zip line, a handcrafted carousel, the Rising Tide elevating bar, the Aquatheater high-diving performance venue, and Central Park with more than 12,000 live trees and plants. Oasis of the Seas also offers amenities that can only be found on Royal Caribbean, such as twin FlowRider surf simulators, cantilevered whirlpools, an ice-skating rink, the H20 Zone kids aquapark, and the Royal Promenade, an interior boulevard that stretches nearly the length of the ship and flanked by restaurants, lounges and boutiques, among many others. For an extensive collection of webisodes detailing the variety of experiences aboard Oasis of the Seas, please visit http://*******.com/bw585wa

Launched in December 2009, Oasis of the Seas has been heralded as an architectural marvel at sea, spanning 16 decks, encompassing 225,282 gross registered tons, and with a double-occupancy capacity of 5,400 guests. Oasis of the Seas is first ship to tout the cruise line’s neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, comprising Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone.

I don't at all take that release as meaning they will be having both shows. I think hairspray will be gone. And not return. When we did the Behind the scenes tour on oasis and they mentioned when something is retired that's it. It's gone they don't bring them back or move to other ships.

I think cats will be the show. No more hairspray.

I'll be bringing her back from europe so I'll make sure to be at the very first show.