No more hairspray

Just did a search for royal caribbean productions on google and brought me to a site searching for castmembers of new broadway show cats. And says "now showing on oasis of the seas"ImageUploadedByForums1396541894.093894.jpg.d9b357aebc0c1d804e77181e443ac978.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by norcalemt02

Just did a search for royal caribbean productions on google and brought me to a site searching for castmembers of new broadway show cats. And says "no showing on oasis of the seas"[ATTACH]308334[/ATTACH]

more likely a case of a dropped "w" (now) showing. RCI IT most likely struck again.;)

If you look at this http://royalcaribbeanproductions.com/featured-shows/Cats I think it's more likely that Cats will be a show in the Aqua theatre. I don't see it working as a big stage production show as part of the appeal is that the cats move within the audience. I can see it working really well in the Aqua theatre, although the flyer does seem to indicate two types of show.

Edited by Bobal

Just did a search for royal caribbean productions on google and brought me to a site searching for castmembers of new broadway show cats. And says "no showing on oasis of the seas"[ATTACH]308334[/ATTACH]

If you look more closely you will see that it says there are NO upcoming auditions. It is possible that they will be changing out the show, but I would think they would already be auditioning (unless the cast is already set).

Considering their work with Dreamworks, I am really surprised they aren't trying to bring on Shrek the Musical. It would seem to fit so much better

Just got off Oasis and Hairspray was great. Not a big fan of Cats, would rather RCCI book Wicked!!

see my review of our cruise:

Oasis 3/22-29/24, so so writing.......very pretty girls.

Caneguy

They are still casting Hairspray as well on the website.

I wonder if they are preparing casting for Anthem and just do not want to make that announcement yet?

That's my thought too... perhaps they just wanted to start soliciting interest in auditions, figuring it wouldn't really matter to the performers what ship it's ultimately on.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. You figure they would release the show on Anthem at some point in the not too distant future.

Cats was actually my very first Broadway show when I was a small child... can't say I remember much about it.

Edited by Dave85

The show would be far to difficult to stage on ship, the set designs make far to unappealing. The ships need a basic one set show, or one set with moving pieces to make different locations. Haven't seen Hairspray on stage, but Chicago and Mama Mia are very set lite shows. As would Cats be, should that appear on the Anthem.

Shrek was fun, but I think too difficult technically to do at sea.

Dolby1000

I know its playing for my May 10th Cruise. ive seen it once before it was just ok. I am going again for the DW. :rolleyes:

all I can say is Hairspray is better than Chicago

If you look at this http://royalcaribbeanproductions.com/featured-shows/Cats I think it's more likely that Cats will be a show in the Aqua theatre. I don't see it working as a big stage production show as part of the appeal is that the cats move within the audience. I can see it working really well in the Aqua theatre, although the flyer does seem to indicate two types of show.

Not sure why it would't work equally well in a theater onboard a cruise ship. It certainly works in Broadway theaters and aside from the cruise ship's theater being on a floating resort, I fail to see much difference. Performers on, and off, the stage frequently interact with members of the audience.

Not sure why it would't work equally well in a theater onboard a cruise ship. It certainly works in Broadway theaters and aside from the cruise ship's theater being on a floating resort, I fail to see much difference. Performers on, and off, the stage frequently interact with members of the audience.

Well perhaps because I saw the original production which was in a smaller theatre in the West End (London) where the cats were right in amongst the audience - I just don't see it working in the large theatre on a ship the size of Oasis. But who am I to say :rolleyes:

Kind of curious how they'll do the big finale. The journey to the Heaviside Layer is kind of like the barricade in Les Miserables or the helicopter in Miss Saigon. RCI isn't really into complex mechanical sets...

I've seen Cats in larger and smaller venues; the cats in the audience works both ways, but I can definitely see how someone who saw it in the West End would be concerned. I saw Les Mis in the West End the first time, and it's a memory (bad pun...) that will stay with me forever!

We didn't care for Hairspray on our Feb Oasis cruise. I hope they come up with a new production before our cruise next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't count on it. The cost of mounting regular production shows on their smaller ships is given as a reason why those shows run for several years or more without being changed. I would expect that the cost of mounting such shows as Hairspray, Chicago, and Saturday Night Fever, the Musical might be even greater, although I don't know what types of license issues are involved with those shows. Actually I was quite impressed with the quality of the shows on Allure, Oasis and Liberty and especially enjoyed both Hairspray andChicago. De gustibus non est disputandum

Just got off Oasis and Hairspray was great. Not a big fan of Cats, would rather RCCI book Wicked!!

see my review of our cruise:

Oasis 3/22-29/24, so so writing.......very pretty girls.

Caneguy

Wicked is way too long, I don't see how they could condense it. Not to mention the production is so set and lighting intensive. It's an amazing show, though. I think Cats is an excellent choice, it's very family friendly and has a little something for everyone, it's just that hasn't everyone seen it??! I would enjoy taking my kids to see it. That's something I found so curious about Chicago. I don't know how it's staged on Allure, but I wouldn't consider it family friendly at all. I love just about any musical, so we are happy no matter what. As long as it isn't Hair... :eek:

Kind of curious how they'll do the big finale. The journey to the Heaviside Layer is kind of like the barricade in Les Miserables or the helicopter in Miss Saigon. RCI isn't really into complex mechanical sets...

I've seen Cats in larger and smaller venues; the cats in the audience works both ways, but I can definitely see how someone who saw it in the West End would be concerned. I saw Les Mis in the West End the first time, and it's a memory (bad pun...) that will stay with me forever!

You know many of the sets for Come Fly With Me are computer/mechanically controlled, right? I'm sure they could find some way to pull it off.

And really? The Oasis stage is "too large" to put on Cats?:rolleyes: