No more hairspray

The press release appears to confirm that CATS will be featured on Oasis but the mention of Hairspray in the list of shows on RCI ships raises the question as to whether or not it is being replaced or will simply be moved to another ship. If they are going to continue featuring Hairspray on some ship why move it instead of simply placing CATS on a new ship? Of course given RCI's reputation for issuing ambiguous, and sometimes totally incorrect, information I guess we may have to wait for them to issue more specific details. :confused:

I think Hairspray going over with us on the TA and Cats on the way home.

They have some sample Med. cruises after we reach Barcelona, so I think they will have the shows on for those special short sample cruises and then into dry dock.

Then Cats from Rotterdam I hope, back to FLL.

The press release appears to confirm that CATS will be featured on Oasis but the mention of Hairspray in the list of shows on RCI ships raises the question as to whether or not it is being replaced or will simply be moved to another ship. If they are going to continue featuring Hairspray on some ship why move it instead of simply placing CATS on a new ship? Of course given RCI's reputation for issuing ambiguous, and sometimes totally incorrect, information I guess we may have to wait for them to issue more specific details. :confused:

I think changing out the show gives folks who really enjoy sailing Oasis/Allure over the other ships something new to look forward to aboard the ship. Not everyone enjoys these big ships and providing something new from time to time may help to keep these people re-booking. Seeing Hairspray and Chicago over and over gets to be a bit stale.

Because new ships attract people just because they are new. They need to freshen up OA if they want to command higher prices as in the past. I've noticed prices fizzling out more and lots of upgrades taking place in her. Maybe a new show will give her a boost. I know I'm more excited about OA having a new show.

I highly doubt that Hairspray is staying on the OA. I did not get that from the press release. I assume that they will move Hairspray to either the Freedom, Indy or Anthem. Having done the Backstage tour several times on the Oasis class ships there simply isn't room to store all those props. It was tight with just Hairspray and Come a Fly With Me.

We didn't care for Hairspray on our Feb Oasis cruise. I hope they come up with a new production before our cruise next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't stand Hairspray so anything is an improvement for me.

That being said, "Cats" could be done quite well on the ships so I'll be looking for that.

Best musical on all 29 cruises I've ever seen...60's music & dancing at it's best....Chicago I didn't like..too jazzy...I'm a rock n' roll boy..if you like 60's R & R, Hairspray is perfect!!

Big Al

Still Rockin' After All These Years...

No more so than Chicago or Hairspray. :confused:

:D

No, Chicago and Hairspray use live singers (aboard, they may have some pre-recorded backup vocals, but the principle cast members sing live).

Cats, on the other hand, is designed to use primarily lip-synched voices (except for 1 song)....always has....always will. There is too much acrobatics for the performers to do while singing. Humans simply can't sing while doing flips and somersaults.

Thanks to the original poster and to all for a great discussion of CATS coming to the Oasis.

Wonder when Allure goes into her dry dock if they will change Chicago as well. Would think that will be the case since these productions are contracted for specific amounts of time. Would think that will also impact the Speakeasy event done in the Jazz club on the Allure.

Edited by denamo

Well that's disappointing. I'm booked for the November 22nd sailing (after the drydock) and I've already made reservations for "Hairspray". I hope that the showtimes are the same.

I've not heard good things about Cats, so I have avoided it for years. But all streaks must end.

How can u be booked in November and already make reservations? The reservation system doesn't allow you to make any until 3 months and on some cruises 2 months before? Not a whopping 7 months before

I would take Chicago over preachy Hairspray any day.

I enjoyed both and think that "Memories" has been done to death and doesn't need reviving.:) If Hairspray has outlived its lifespan, can we expect Blue Planet to disappear soon also? It has been playing for a similar amount of time and one viewing was more than enough for me. Seems that some RCI musical productions live far longer. Ask anyone who has cruised on some ships for more than a decade.

Glad to see this change, I'm booked on Oasis in late November so I am looking forward to a new Broadway show. Not that I disliked Hairspray but I was ready for a new show on Oasis, so this is a welcome surprise... and yes, entertainment is available now for late Nov.

I agree with the others, I don't see both CATS & Hairspray on Oasis, that would be a waste of resources. It will either be on another ship or the show will be gone after Oasis dry-dock. Which I doubt, I think it will appear on a different ship.

Not sure I get that. Yeah, Hairspray has a heavy tolerance for different people piece, but it's only overwhelming if you make it overwhelming. Chicago is just over the top, but a good production of Chicago is a great production, IMHO!

Now, they could do Rent...

How can u be booked in November and already make reservations? The reservation system doesn't allow you to make any until 3 months and on some cruises 2 months before? Not a whopping 7 months before

I guess I have the magic touch. All shows are reserved along with my drink packages and my over the water cabana on Nellie's Beach. I have the email confirmations from RCCL. But thanks for caring.

Edited by comxkid

I guess I have the magic touch. All shows are reserved along with my drink packages and my over the water cabana on Nellie's Beach. I have the email confirmations from RCCL. But thanks for caring.

Same here (except for the cabana - maybe I'll come join you? haha). I have my shows ALL reserved, and some shows were completely filled a whoppin' 7 months in advance. I couldn't get dinner reservations to some places, but shows were there the day I booked.

No, Chicago and Hairspray use live singers (aboard, they may have some pre-recorded backup vocals, but the principle cast members sing live).

Cats, on the other hand, is designed to use primarily lip-synched voices (except for 1 song)....always has....always will. There is too much acrobatics for the performers to do while singing. Humans simply can't sing while doing flips and somersaults.

Normal productions, yes. But royal has chosen to record most of hairspray

Normal productions, yes. But royal has chosen to record most of hairspray

They record all of their shows for a "sick" track. If one of the performers gets a sore throat or is not up to singing, they can fall back onto the recording for that performer. But my understanding is that most of the leads are doing their own singing.

We got to hear the leads in an intimate venue for C&A members, and they were definitely doing their own singing there and sounded the same as in the show, so they definitely have the talent. I don't see any reason why they couldn't sing live during a performance, and it would be sad to learn they were just lip-synching for no particular reason.

It's set during the civil rights movement and simply deals with issues of racial intolerance that were present at the time. While it may seam "preachy" to some with certain attitudes at the time, I think we have moved on, and don't really see basic civil rights as something that's a controversial issue.

It's really a fun show, with good music overall. Yes, it can be camp, but that's just part of the fun. It's a perfect show for a vacation.

Cats, on the other hand, is not especially interesting. There's little, if any plot. It's all lip-synching because of the acrobatics involved. I know there are a lot of jokes about the show ("It's better than Cats!") but they're not far off the mark.

They could probably find some better, fun shows to replace Hairspray (La Cage, Priscilla, etc.) which are on the light side and have some good music. Mama Mia is a good choice for a cruise, but will already be on another ship. Kinky Boots, Jersey Boys, Motown, Rock of Ages, and others would also be good.

Well that's disappointing. I'm booked for the November 22nd sailing (after the drydock) and I've already made reservations for "Hairspray". I hope that the showtimes are the same.

I've not heard good things about Cats, so I have avoided it for years. But all streaks must end.

First of all, Go Gators. ;)

Second, I know Cats isn't for everyone, but it wasn't a long running Broadway show for nothing. It's a fun show, light on plot, heavy on character and dance, a show that makes you laugh and cry. Go see it with an open mind. It's a smart move by Royal Caribbean, it's a show that is accessible for cruisers of all ages. And it's a perfect vacation cruise - light, fun, you walk out smiling. The show has to have general appeal to 5,000+ people... There are only so many shows that fit the bill. It is not currently on Broadway or on a national touring schedule, so this is almost like an exclusive unless you enjoy high school theater productions.

First of all, Go Gators. ;)

Second, I know Cats isn't for everyone, but it wasn't a long running Broadway show for nothing. It's a fun show, light on plot, heavy on character and dance, a show that makes you laugh and cry. Go see it with an open mind. It's a smart move by Royal Caribbean, it's a show that is accessible for cruisers of all ages. And it's a perfect vacation cruise - light, fun, you walk out smiling. The show has to have general appeal to 5,000+ people... There are only so many shows that fit the bill. It is not currently on Broadway or on a national touring schedule, so this is almost like an exclusive unless you enjoy high school theater productions.

I think you make a very good point here. If RCI is going to market it self toward families then maybe the major entertainment venues on the ship should also be geared toward families. I'm not sure that kids will really get the gist of what Hair spray is about and they would be much better of not getting the gist of what Chicago is about.

If RCI is going to market it self toward families then maybe the major entertainment venues on the ship should also be geared toward families. I'm not sure that kids will really get the gist of what Hair spray is about

Hair Spray is not exactly subtle. It's a "hit you over the head" production that portrays the discrimination of that particular era. Kids will certainly get it.