Questions about CCL stock...

curlybelle2

We are thinking about buying stock in CCL. What are the benefits to stockholders that cruise with Princess? How much shares do you need to reap the benefits?

Trying to decide if purchasing the stock is worth it.

Thanks!

We are thinking about buying stock in CCL. What are the benefits to stockholders that cruise with Princess? How much shares do you need to reap the benefits?

Trying to decide if purchasing the stock is worth it.

Thanks!

Besides the dividend which has been about $25/year on 100 shares you get the OBC on the cruise lines that Carnival Corp owns. See attachment.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Just need 100 shares. Before each cruise (once I pay for it), I send in proof of ownership.

For less than 6 days , you get $50.00 on board credits

For a 7 to 13 days cruises you get $100.00

For 14 days or longer you get $250.00

Doesn't matter what kind of cabin you book, this is what you receive.

If you are doing back to back cruises, you will get the benefits for each one.

Adds up fast. We have had the stock for 4 years and it more than paid for itself in on board credits. Still have the stock and wouldn't think of selling it. Also get dividends (small but also adds up)

The OBC is combinable with any other OBC. Some cruise lines not under the Carnival Corporation umbrella don't allow OBC to be combined.

Whether you cruise on Princess, HAL, Carnival, Cunard, etc., you get the OBC.

We considered doing this but would have to spend $4,000 to get $100 and not sure that makes sense. We would have to go on a LOT of cruises to make that kind of money back.

It's not like you lose the initial investment. Although I will say CCL is not what I would call a retirement portfolio.

Mike:)

If you are considering the stock purchase just for the OBC benefit, you are really only looking at part of the overall benefit. You should buy stock because you feel it is a good investment. We have done well with CCL stock not just because of the OBC, but because it has proven to be a good investment based on when we have strategically bought and sold. If you add up what we have benefitted in dividends, stock price upticks and OBC benefits we have found it an excellent investment. But as with any stock you need to monitor and manage it to your best advantage.

My Dad had passed away last fall and when I get the distribution from his estate I'm considering purchasing the stock. I can see just the OBC would add up fast for me.

If I had owned the stock so far in 2014 I'd have $250, 2013 would have gotten $400 and in 2012 $450. Aside from anything else that seems like a pretty good return.

Besides the dividend which has been about $25/year on 100 shares you get the OBC on the cruise lines that Carnival Corp owns. See attachment.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

To correct the above post, the dividend is 25 cents per share per quarter. So on 100 shares you get $100 per year.

Just the on board credits you get give you a huge return on your investment. We cruise at least 4 times of year so for us, it has been wonderful. I think we paid $32.00 a share,have seen it go way up, and fall down but not counting all the on board credits we received in the past 4 years, haven't lost anything on value of the stock.We also reinvest our dividends so have more shares than what we started with.

Last year we had more cruises booked than usually , we got $1050.00 worth of on board credits just from our Shareholders benefits.

Edited by san diego sue

You definitely have to decide what is best for you and depends on how much you cruise. Today's close was $37.90 and with the annual dividend amount $100, and if you take two 10 day cruises a year that's another $200. Yield on the investment would be almost 8%. It would be higher if you factored in that the OBC is not taxed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are two ways to look at Carnival Corp stock. The first is as an investment. There you get the $1 per share dividend, which is a yield of about 2.5% each year. In addition, the price can go up or down. It would be up to you and/or your investment advisor to decide if it is a good investment for you.

The second reason to buy Carnival Corp is for the OBC. The value of this depends on how many cruises you take and how long they are. There are a number of people on these boards who get $500 or $1000 or even more each year in OBC as shareholders. My wife and I have owned the stock for about 5 years and the OBC is considerably more than we paid for the stock.

While I would like the price of the stock to go up, it really doesn't matter. As long as I am cruising with Princess and/or other Carnival Corp lines, I will hold the stock.

Edited by paul929207

We cruise often and have had the CCL stock for about 5 years. Bought it at 36.00 and have watched it fluctuate roughly between 30.00 to 40.00 since then. Between the modest dividends and the OBC, it is a good deal for us.

That is why we bought the 100 shares of CCL. It is not really a retirement or savings investment for us. If we ever decide to sell, I am pretty confident we will get back what we put in and a little more. It is at 37.90 today.

Frankly, if you cruise once a year or more, I'd recommend buying, particularly if it drops to 35.00 or below and you can find 3500. to invest.

You must show ownership of stock a month or so before your cruise to get the OBC. Our TA does the paper work for us so I don't exactly know how you do it on your own. I just send him proof of stock ownership.

This is a dumb questions but.....how do you buy it? Do you have to go through a stockbroker???

If you don't have a stock broker, you can go through Scotttrade, Etrade, Ameritrade, or any other online company. You may want to check with your bank as I get promos to go through WellsFargo when I login to my account.

Many of these companies start at $7 a trade and may offer free trades when you first sign up.

Edited by Coral

We only paid about $3,000 for our shares and have easily received that amount back in OBC, plus the stock has gone up. :) One of our more clever investments. OK, not as good as buying Starbucks the day they went public, but pretty darned profitable.

We only paid about $3,000 for our shares and have easily received that amount back in OBC, plus the stock has gone up. :) One of our more clever investments. OK, not as good as buying Starbucks the day they went public, but pretty darned profitable.

And taking a cruise sure is a lot more fun than drinking a latte.

Does anyone know what the average posting time for your onboard credit is after you have faxed your shareholder certificate in with paperwork.

A number of people have reported excellent turnaround in recent months. Often less than a day

One more question, since you have already paid for your cruise before you get on board, when can use use the OBC? I don't want to use OBC for just buying t-shirts, etc. We want the OBC to reduce the cost of the cruise itself.

Can someone help me understand this..

Thanks

Your Shareholder OBC is for onboard credit only. It does not apply to your cruise fare. It can be used to cover any expenses you generate onboard including daily autotip, shore excursions, beverages, spa, shops etc.

Edited by karatemom2